PDA

View Full Version : Who prescribes your child's ADHD meds?

crl
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Ds was recently diagnosed by a psychiatrist and we have started him on meds.

Unfortunately the psychiatrist is not on our insurance plan and for mental health our plan does not reimburse at all for out of network providers. We tried to find in network care but the list of providers was very short and either the providers had extremely long waits (the local hospitals) or were completely unknown to us and to everyone we asked (including several psychiatrists who were generous enough to review the list despite having no prior relationship to us). Of course appointments are very expensive. And our insurance only covers part of the meds. So we are spending quite a bit out of pocket.

I am wondering if, once we feel confident we have hit the right med, it is reasonable to switch to using our regular ped to monitor and prescribe? I have not asked him yet if he would be willing to do that. But it would be a huge savings for us.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Catherine

HIU8
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
The developmental ped prescribes and monitors DS's adhd meds. Our developmental ped also happens to be covered by our insurance though (as in network). If I were in your situation I think I would be finding another doc (starting with your ped) who could manage the meds and care.

crl
01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
The developmental ped prescribes and monitors DS's adhd meds. Our developmental ped also happens to be covered by our insurance though (as in network). If I were in your situation I think I would be finding another doc (starting with your ped) who could manage the meds and care.

So you think our regular ped might be a reasonable option? It would be the easiest. Otherwise we are back at square one trying to get on wait lists that are months long (or closed) or going with a completely unknown provider.

Catherine

HIU8
01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
I think it's worth a shot. The worst that can happen is your ped says no b/c he/she has no expertise in the area/doesn't feel comfortable etc... I thought I had heard/read soewhere that some regular peds could/would monitor adhd meds.

crl
01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I think it's worth a shot. The worst that can happen is your ped says no b/c he/she has no expertise in the area/doesn't feel comfortable etc... I thought I had heard/read soewhere that some regular peds could/would monitor adhd meds.

Okay, thanks!
Catherine

Pepper
01-19-2012, 09:20 PM
I think it depends on the meds - the devl ped told me that our regular ped can do the ADHD meds, but is DS1 needs something for anxiety or depression, bipolar etc we would have to go through the psychiatrist.

We are currently using the psych anyway b/c he had an appointment available right after DS1 was dx - I figured that we'd get in the system just in case it turns out later that DS1 needs something else. (Fortunately I don't think that he will).

crl
01-20-2012, 01:27 AM
I think it depends on the meds - the devl ped told me that our regular ped can do the ADHD meds, but is DS1 needs something for anxiety or depression, bipolar etc we would have to go through the psychiatrist.

We are currently using the psych anyway b/c he had an appointment available right after DS1 was dx - I figured that we'd get in the system just in case it turns out later that DS1 needs something else. (Fortunately I don't think that he will).

Just ADHD meds. Right now we are trying the time release generic form of Adderall and it seems to be working.

Catherine

lalasmama
01-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Our family practice doctor prescribes when DD is on a stable dose (concerta). But, DD's needing to up her dose, we think, so we're heading back to child psych for that. Once we have 2 months all settled on the new regimen, then our regular MD will take over prescribing again.

crl
01-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Our family practice doctor prescribes when DD is on a stable dose (concerta). But, DD's needing to up her dose, we think, so we're heading back to child psych for that. Once we have 2 months all settled on the new regimen, then our regular MD will take over prescribing again.

Okay, thanks. That's what I was hoping we can set up.

Catherine

cuca_
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
We are going to have our pediatrician prescribe DD2s meds. As others have said, if it is just a straight forward prescription, many peds will do it.

niccig
01-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Do you have a health FSA? If you do, that can help lessen the sting of out of pocket payments.