PDA

View Full Version : tips for finding a doula?

MamaSnoo
01-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I am hoping for a VBAC delivery with DS. DD was born by c-section after spontaneous labor started at 37-weeks 4 days. She was breech, and I was not interested in a version, so we proceeded to the hospital and had a relatively uneventful c-section. This does not bother me, and I do not have any trauma related to my first birth. However, I would prefer to VBAC this time, as opposed to repeat c-section, mostly because I am hoping the recovery will be easier.

I tend to be pretty live and let live, and I do not have a lot of specifics in a birth plan that I am adament about. I understand why some women use epis and others don't. I am planning to try without and see what happens. If it turns out to be better for me to have one, I would not see that as failure.

However, I would very much like to have a doula for labor support. DH is great for support in the abstract, but not so much for practical, nitty-gritty things. I think I would benefit from some extra coaching/support from someone who is more knowledgeable about labor than he is (LOL!). That said, I do not want to work with a support person who is extreme in views on natural childbirth. If I end up having certain interventions, I would not want to feel like my doula was critical or looking down on our birth experience. I also do not want to work with someone who is super-agressive about interceeding with the medical staff. I want the doula focused on me. DH and I will address medical decision making issues.

So, if you were in my shoes and were likeminded, any tips for going about finding the right person? How would you talk with potential candidates about these issues. I do not want to offend doulas whose style may differ from mine, but I do want to work with the right person for me.

SnuggleBuggles
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd ask your Dr or midwife first. If you are taking prenatal exercise or yoga, the moms and instructors will have ideas. You can also check with the DONA website for certified midwives and just interview them.

mikala
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
You may want to contact your local ICAN group. They can help guide you to providers and hospitals that truly are VBAC friendly and I'm sure they also have contacts for doulas experienced with VBAC.
http://www.icanofatlanta.com/

Once you have a list of people you can start to talk to each person to find out if you click, their backup plans in case they can't attend your birth, etc.

You can sometimes find out a lot about a person by asking past experience questions. Something like "tell me about a time when a client initially wanted a natural childbirth/VBAC/whatever and ended up with x intervention. How did you react? How did you support her decision?" "Tell me about a birth that didn't go as planned..." "Tell me about a successful VBAC you attended and what you think made it successful."

I'd also ask around to see if any of your friends have recommendations for doulas.

kellij
01-19-2012, 11:10 PM
I had a vbac with my last baby and I also used a doula. I called my local ICAN group leaders and asked who they recommended. I think I got some of the standard, we're not supposed to recommend, blah, blah, but I think a couple of people gave me the same person's name. I met her and liked her. I also asked my dr, but he wasn't helpful. I had read that people with doulas typically end up with c/s less, and that was my goal. You might just also google doulas and your location and see what pops up and then meet with a couple that look good.

hoodlims
01-20-2012, 01:34 AM
I think many lactation consultants are also in the know about doulas. So you can possibly try your local LLL.

mjs64
01-20-2012, 01:58 AM
I think many lactation consultants are also in the know about doulas. So you can possibly try your local LLL.

:yeahthat: I would go to some meetings in areas nearby and ask. My lc and I got so close that she offered to be my doula for DC2, if that were ever to happen.

citymama
01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
I *was* you about 2 years ago - unplanned c-sec with DD1 due to positional issues (and in my case, also reacted to the epidural) and very very keen for a non-med VBAC with DD2. The smartest thing I did was to sign up a doula - and specifically, the person we went with. I started a long thread about how to select a doula and got some great replies. And FTR, I LOVED my unmedicated, successful VBAC and feel very lucky I was able to experience it (but would have been fine if a repeat C was needed as long as baby was OK!).

I found my doula very late - we hired her at maybe 36 weeks. Most people we called at that stage were already committed. We interviewed two - one with less experience, younger, much less $$ ($800), and the other who was later described to me by my OB as "the Cadillac of doulas" - super experienced, a little more "woo" than we would like, and very expensive. I will say that it was the best $1800 I have ever spent (yes, she was that pricey!). I live in an area with many homebirths and doulas, so the challenge was narrowing down the list. Here's where I looked: my prenatal yoga instructor, my OB, a local natural parenting store which maintains a list with contact info. I also posted to two local parenting boards and the replies were super helpful and informative. I spoke to two moms who had worked with the doula I finally hired. We spent time interviewing both candidates.

Things to keep in mind during interviews: make sure DH and you both have a good connection with the doula. I felt like DH and our doula worked as a team in mediating between me and hospital staff, esp the anesthesiologists who were always coming around. The spotted each other - the doula took care of DH as well, suggesting he take naps at certain times, bringing trail mix and snacks for him to keep him going, prepared to address emotional issues along the way. Find out about availability during your due date period, and what happens if she has a conflict. When will she arrive - how long after you start labor? Will she spend time at home with you? My doula spent hours with us at home and arrived as soon as I told her i wanted her to be there (about 3 hours after regular contrax started). What experience does she have with the hospital you are delivering at? My doula knew the hospital inside out, including the nurses, attending docs and the midwife on call the day I delivered. She was respected and this made a huge difference. You don't want her personal issues with hospital staff getting in the way the day you're giving birth, and her unfamiliarity could be a liability too. These were the most important questions, as well as speaking to women who had worked with her. I wanted to steer away from someone too dogmatic and domineering, and a couple of people we were considering sounded way too overbearing for my liking, based on conversations with references.

All the best!

mctlaw
01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
PM'd you!