PDA

View Full Version : 12 month DS is never tired-talks all night long!!

amom526
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Almost 12 month DS has never been a great sleeper, but things are bad now. He goes down for bed at 7 pm and wakes anywhere between 12 and 4, and talks endlessly to himself. He rarely starts crying, and doesn't want anything from us (that we know of) but he will. not. sleep.
We have tried everything with his daytime naps- long naps, short naps, capped naps- but now he's started doing the same things for naps too!!

Is this within the range of normal. I want to call my pediatrician, but I don't really think anything is wrong/ He just won't sleep. Any btdt? I'm tired

mikala
01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
How is he during the day? Is he showing signs that he's tired like rubbing his eyes, extra cranky, hard time concentrating (well, as much as a 12 mo old can concentrate in the first place)?

If he's happy during the day I'd guess it's a phase and will pass. I can't imagine how you'd get a baby to stop happily babbling in his crib.

I'd try to look at the bright side--at least he isn't up screaming for you like some kids that age!

Giantbear
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
sounds like he might have day/night confusion. Early on, i realized my daughter was giving 5 hours of sleep, but between 8 and 1am, i started waking her around 11 for feeding and then put her down to get the long sleep when i wanted to be asleep too. Maybe only let him nap from 7 to 9, wake him for some up time and put him down for night sleep around 11.

amom526
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I know he is capable of sleeping 11 hours in a row. I'm not sure it's day night confusion, because he is not sleeping during the day either. I thought 7 pm is a pretty normal bedtime for this age?

He is happy during the day. A little fussy, but generally happy. VERY fussy towards the evenings but I'm guessing that's just normal tiredness from a long day and little sleep. If its a phase I really hope it passes soon!