PDA

View Full Version : Should I ask for meds before getting my IUD?

JoyNChrist
01-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I finally made an appointment to get a Mirena. I'm so excited about it and really hope it works for me.

Anyway, I've had some people tell me the insertion was no big deal and others tell me it was really painful. One friend said her doctor gave her Vallium to take before the procedure.

Should I take an OTC pain reliever? Ask for something prescription? I don't tend to be anxious about medical stuff, but a pap smear has been pretty painful for me before, so maybe this will be worse?

veronica
01-21-2012, 03:57 PM
it wasn't a big deal for me at all. I drove for 4 hours on a trip right after.

I think I took either 400mg or 600mg of ibuprofen before going in but it was not uncomfortable at all .

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2012, 04:04 PM
My midwife had me take 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before hand. I was fine. It didn't hurt but it was not enjoyable. I did have some reaction though that made my BP drop a few minutes after all was done. I had to chill for a bit longer till I felt better. She said that some people react like that to having their cervix manipulated. I have had 2 Paragards, same reaction both times. So happy with my IUD! eta- ime, no worse than a pap but longer. Best to go during your monthly cycle too because things are more open- ask your careprovider.

mjs64
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
My insertion was a little painful but not that big of a deal. Ibuprofen was all I took--I wouldn't have wanted valium or anything like that. They say it's much more painful for women who haven't had gone through childbirth and had a vaginal delivery, as their cervixes aren't as open--I wonder if this was the case for your friend?

JoyNChrist
01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
My insertion was a little painful but not that big of a deal. Ibuprofen was all I took--I wouldn't have wanted valium or anything like that. They say it's much more painful for women who haven't had gone through childbirth and had a vaginal delivery, as their cervixes aren't as open--I wonder if this was the case for your friend?

That's true, she's only had a scheduled C-section. I've had both, so maybe it'll be all right.

g-mama
01-21-2012, 07:52 PM
To be honest, it was really painful for me. Not enough to not do it again- I had one for five years and now am on my second one. But I would definitely recommend 600-800 mg of ibuprofen.

My OB now prescribes something - cannot remember the name of it - that you insert into yourself once the night before and again the morning of that opens your cervix. It definitely helped and she says it helps everyone who has tried it.

Tondi G
01-21-2012, 09:45 PM
I had a Paragard iud and the insertion was really painful for me. I have had 2 natural (med free) deliveries so, for me the "once you've had a vaginal delivery it is less painful" suggestion was not true! I would definitely recommend 600-800 mg of ibuprofen.

Twin Mom
01-22-2012, 12:22 AM
My doctor told me that it was more painful for women who have not had a vaginal delivery as well. I had a c-section with my kids and since I was having a polyp removed and was under anesthesia already she inserted it then. I did have some cramping afterwards but nothing horrible but I was lucky and missed the insertion part. I took some ibuprofen for a few days afterwards and I was fine. If you have pain from a pap smear I would definitely ask for something a little stronger than ibuprofen just in case.

karstmama
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
yes to the 6-800 of ibuprofen about an hour before. y'all have reminded me it's time for a new one next month. i have *loved* mirena!

swissair81
01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't do hormones, but I had a paragard put in last year. The measurements made me a little crampy, but I followed their instructions to premedicate- it really wasn't so bad. Also, I've had 4 vag deliveries, so maybe that made a difference.

wendibird22
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
I didn't experience any discomfort with insertion. I took regular strength ibuprofen afterwards for cramping.

tabegle
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I had 2 vaginal deliveries within 19 months of each other. The second one was so fast the epidural didn't have enough time to take effect.

My Mirena insertion was so painful and I was a little light headed afterwards. I guess with each women getting and IUD is as different as her labor and deliveries. I vote for premedication!

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I had 2 vaginal deliveries within 19 months of each other. The second one was so fast the epidural didn't have enough time to take effect.

My Mirena insertion was so painful and I was a little light headed afterwards. I guess with each women getting and IUD is as different as her labor and deliveries. I vote for premedication!

That's the reaction I had but it was t really to pain but that reaction to having my cervix manipulated (some vascular system issue, iirc) according to my care provider.

karstmama
01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
yes, that's a vagal response. it's why women often vomit when their uterus is put back in their abdomen during a c-section, and why so many older people die on the potty.

the ibuprofen helps blunt that response, but it's normal & common.

tabegle
01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
yes, that's a vagal response. it's why women often vomit when their uterus is put back in their abdomen during a c-section, and why so many older people die on the potty.

the ibuprofen helps blunt that response, but it's normal & common.

I didn't know that! Something to keep in mind for next time! (Hoping there is a next time in a couple of years.:))

ETA: Hoping for another baby in a few years, and I'll keep this in mind for my next IUD after that! :)