PDA

View Full Version : Best seat to buy after infant car seat?

Lupe
01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
DS is 11 months and starting to get snug in his infant car seat
he is on the small side and I have a Snugride 35, but I started looking into
buying another seat.
I rather not have to buy yet another seat later on but I do not want to compromise on safety
Any recs on a good car seat that converts to booster?
We have a Toyota Camry and I am not sure if some of the seats will be too big

thanks

catsnkid
01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Sorry, but I don't think there are any seats out there that you can use rearfacing which you will need, and then convert to a booster... Maybe someone else might know. A decent affordable convertible seat that would fit nicely in your car would be the Britax roundabout. I would also consider the Graco my ride 65. We have the classic Britax RA50 in our Scion and chevy HHR.

lorinick
01-21-2012, 06:33 PM
You could look at the Evenflo Symp 65. It rates well in booster mode. But you still will need some kind of booster seat. If your going to have another chilld you will likely pass the seats down to next child. No other seat rates even decent as a booster after a conv. seat. A good conv. seat will get you till age 4.5 to age 5ish.

Most children will have 3 seats.

edurnemk
01-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Since it's best to keep your DS RF until at least 2 yo, you need a convertible seat. I don't think there's any convertibles that turn into HBB, or at least no really good ones. FWIW A higher weight limit convertible would probably last him until 5-6 yo easily. DS still rides his Britax Blvd and has room to grow (RF until 3.5 yo, now FF), so we've gotten 3+ years of use out of it, and will get 1 or 2 more (and we'll use it for DC2 eventually, then DS will ride in the Evenflo Maestro - harnessed as long as possible, and then as a HBB).

legaleagle
01-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Agreed with PPs, also a booster, even a fancy one is pretty cheap. And there are very decent ones for under $50. Focus on what you need in a convertible seat now and worry about the booster later.

Lupe
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
What is the best compromise in safety/ price/ length of use for a convertible?