PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 yr old ice skating/broom ball?

hellokitty
01-21-2012, 05:29 PM
DS1's cub scout pack is going to a hockey game and then doing ice skating and broom ball afterward. Last yr DH and the older boys went and had a blast. We are going to skip the game this time (DH said the boys were bored) and just do the skating/broom ball part. Do you think it would be ok for DS3 to go? They said that the smaller ice skate rental is size 8 (he is pretty close to a size 8 right now), and since some of the boys will be playing broom ball, they will probably allow kids to be on the ice w/o skates (but in that case, we would stay away from the broom ball game on the other side of the rink). What do you think? Stupid idea? Has anyone taken a child this young skating before? They have some of those walkers available for kids who don't know how to skate. I'm trying to decide. I'd love for us to go as a family, but if this isn't going to work, then I will just stay home with DS3.

blisstwins
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
They start that young at our rink. Just be prepared to take him off the ice if he doesn't like it and bring a helmet.

hellokitty
01-21-2012, 06:52 PM
They start that young at our rink. Just be prepared to take him off the ice if he doesn't like it and bring a helmet.

OK thanks! I actually think he will enjoy it (since he likes being around older kids), but if he doesn't take a nap tomorrow (very likely, since he is trying to drop them), we may not go, since that will just sky rocket his frustration level (and mine too). I couldn't remember when kids can start skating. I know I have seen 4 yr olds for sure. DS3 is my athletically gifted child out of my three, at this age I would never have considered taking DS1 or DS2, but with DS3, he actually might do ok.

mommytoC
01-21-2012, 11:04 PM
At our rink, learn-to-skate programs start at 4, but our DD#1 started at closer to 5. That being said, we've taken DD#2 (who's not quite 33m) to family skate night a couple of times. She can push her "helper chair" a bit, and even take a few independent steps on the ice, but also likes just standing next to DH or I (or sitting on her chair) watching her sister and the other "big kids" skate. Plus, she likes the hot chocolate :). Dress him warmly (waterproof mittens, coat + snowpants), put on a helmet, and I would guess that your DS3 will do just fine!