PDA

View Full Version : MFP questions

EllasMum
01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
After seeing the success of some folks from BBB, I decided to join MFP. I have a few questions for the experienced folks!

Anyone out there do South Beach style diet with MFP? I find, generally speaking, that carbs are my enemy, and I just feel generally better when I eat lower carb. I did SBD pre-DD and lost 20 pounds in about 4 months. I'm finding it harder to stick with SBD now that DD is around and I am having to cater to her picky palate (girl eats LOTS of carbs!). So, I thought I would try MFP instead, while generally keeping low carb. I guess what keeps staring me in the face is the goal of 206 carbs on MFP! SBD is substantially lower than that and I'm not sure if SBD is going to work with MFP. Interested to hear if others have had luck.

Other question is the calorie goals set by MFP. I did an experiment in which I just ate my (non SBD) regular foods and snacks, and more often than not, I came in well under the calorie targets, such that MFP would tell me that I would be losing weight too quickly if I kept up that level of calories... Yet my scale would go up, not down! I guess I'm questioning the calorie targets and not really seeing how I'll lose weight by eating that much food! Again, curious about others' experiences wrt this.

Thanks everyone!

wellyes
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
You can change the ratios of carbs vs protien vs fat - just go to

My Home - Goals - Change Goals
pick custom

It lets you do what works best for you!

But I have no feedback about it giving you too many calories, I have never had that problem :ROTFLMAO:

EllasMum
01-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Very helpful! Thanks! I have updated my goals... though Google is not doing me any favors in determining what my goals should be on SBD! Off to do more searching.

Again, thanks!

elizabethkott
01-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I find that I must eat fewer calories than what is ordinarily recommended to lose weight.
I reset my goals as wellyes mentioned above, but I've also re-schooled myself to not pay attention at the end of the day when I complete my day on MFP and they shout at me in rd that I am eating too few calories and I will put myself into starvation mode. ;)
I just know that my body and my thyroid work differently than the MFP settings..