PDA

View Full Version : Help from hair experts - highlights look bad!

janine
01-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I return to work from maternity leave on Monday. I booked a hair appt for partial foil highlights and cut/color. I needed it after 3 months of headbands and grays!

It all cost a small fortune, but right after the foils came out I saw that my hair (which is dark dark brown) had bright brassy streaks on the left. The color was ok, but just too streaky and bunched on one section. I brought it up and they were apologetic and said they'd add gloss and tone it down. Great, no problem.

Afterwards it did look much more toned down. But when I got home and looked at it in normal lighting, the highlights look red...an unnatural purply red - mahogony is the best way to describe it. What do I do? Do I cover it with more hair color? Is it possibly just something that will wash out since it was gloss of some sort I think. Argh...I work in a bank, so it's a conservative setting, plus I want to feel good for my return. Any advice?

infomama
01-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Call them up, tell them your still not happy and that you need to come in asap so it can be fixed.

liz
01-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Call them up, tell them your still not happy and that you need to come in asap so it can be fixed.

:yeahthat: That recently happened to me when my colorist tried something new and I didn't like it. The only way to truly fix it will be to go back to the salon.

I know you really wanted to look and feel good for Monday. sorry :hug:

veronica
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
go back. it's better for you and them all around. They should realize that that fixing the problem is worth it over the word-of-mouth that goes around from an unhappy client.

janine
01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
thanks - but they are closed on sunday..so was hoping for a quick solution...boo. Also wondering why it turned this color?!

mackmama
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM

:yeahthat: This has happened to me, too. I have found that there is often a red-tinge when a toner/glosser is used to try to correct highlights. I wouldn't touch your hair until you go back in, or they might say that you caused the problem.

TxCat
01-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Agree with everyone else about going back in. I would be nice about it, but I would ask for the manager of the salon and the most senior / top colorist there to discuss the problem and how to manage. Explain exactly what you don't like about how it came out (if they can't already see it for themselves) and possibly bring in a picture of what look you were aiming for - I find pictures work much better than words at conveying the look you were hoping for in these situations.

It's hard to say without seeing your hair, but I'm guessing they may suggest going dark all over to correct what has been done. It will probably be less damaging to your hair rather than trying to fix the situation with more highlights and lowlights. I would also ask about a full or partial refund on the original highlighting - I would be nice, but be firm about it. Not to scare you, but the more they process it, the more potential damage they are doing to your hair - I would remind them of that, and explain that you paid a significant amount of money for a botched job. See what happens.

Good luck! I am crazy about my hair so I can only imagine how frustrating/disappointing this is.