PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Mamas- where do you keep your epi pens?

todzwife
01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
DD2 had a reaction to *something* the other day which resulted in massive hives. Since I'm unsure what caused them, and the fact that my niece has a life threatening food allergy, the Dr. prescribed an epi pen, JUST IN CASE. I don't think I will ever have to use it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

That said, this bugger is HUGE! I know a lot of mamas carry both of them and benadryl as well, but seriously, I don't carry a large diaper bag anymore.

I would love ideas. Do you take them both with you? Just one?

megs4413
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I have DS' epi's in a little zipper pack that they came with from the pharmacy. It's about the size of a small clutch. I just throw it into my purse. it has two pens in it. I keep his backup pens in my bathroom closet at home. Two travel with him all the time (whatever adult is responsible for him gets the little zippered two pack) along with benadryl thin strips (in case the allergy isn't epi worthy, but needs treated). The other two stay at home and are labeled very clearly. My Dh also has to carry an epi pen...I actually only carry one of his in my purse (because I have DS' as backups in my mind and DH has had to use his epi before so I've seen how much time it gives us) and leave his other 3 in the closet at home (again clearly labeled). I have never had any problems fitting the 3 pens in any of my purses and I'm not carrying a diaper bag either...

SASM
01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
I carry around the 2-pack in my purse...all 3 of my kids have a nut allergy. I keep a spare 2-pack in our bathroom with the large stash of other meds.

MamaMolly
01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Two epis in my purse that NEVER gets left in the car. also have Benedryl liquid spoons in the same little zipper bag.
One epi in the kitchen next to the table where we eat.
Two epis in her classroom wih Benedryl spoons and her allergy action plan. In a red zipper travel wallet from LLBean.

Multiple expired but not discolored epis in my medicine cabinet. Just in case.

We've never had to use the epis, but you have to be vigilant and take them everywhere. Never leave them in the car. The heat and cold are bad for the medicine.

MoJo
01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Mine is in my purse, plus there's one in the kitchen cabinet, plus there's one DH is supposed to take if he ever takes Ha out by herself.

My current stress is what to do at preschool. Up until last week, the epi was just in the cabinet in her classroom, and she was in that room all day. But now that she's older, she will be in at least four different rooms throughout the day (and most of those rooms at least two different times) and they don't take her bag. And she's with at least four different caregivers, which makes me more nervous. I've brought it up, but the original teacher doesn't have any good suggestions, and the director is out due to surgery. I'm trying to arrange a meeting, but her new primary caregiver is very hard to reach.

KpbS
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
One epi in my purse and one in the pen cup on the counter, next to the kitchen table. I have several expired ones in my bathroom drawer for future travel.

Your thread reminds me, I need to ask my mom and DH (pretty much the only other people who take care of my DC other than me), "where is the EPI PEN?" Just to make sure the are 100% certain of its location.

tny915
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I have one in my purse at all times and one in the medicine cabinet. DH has to be better about carrying an epi with him when he has DD2. We'd talked about leaving one in his car, so I'm glad PP mentioned that isn't a good idea.

DD2 goes to a preschool and a home daycare. School keeps the epi and Benedryl in the kitchen. DCP keeps the epi and Benedryl in a bag on the top shelf of the cubbies.

I had no idea there were Benedryl strips and spoons. I have to get some of those.

smiles33
01-23-2012, 07:13 PM
OT, but I ordered the strips before I realized you can't use them with a 2 year old. I just googled the spoons and it says not for kids under 6. So what do I buy that's portable Benadryl for a 2 year old?

DrSally
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
I carry a twin pack of epi's and benadryl strips in a small lesports sac bag. It goes in my purse, but if Dh is taking DS somewhere, he takes the bag w/ him. I have several in the kitchen cupboard, and an extra in the drawer by the back door (to grab in case we don't have the bag).

I never leave it in the car. In the car I do carry liquid benadryl since that isn't affected by temp. At school, he has a small bag w/epi and benadryl in the nurses office (and allergy action plan). Wish it was in the classroom, but that's their policy.

rupptopia
01-23-2012, 11:32 PM
I use a Jujube Be Quick for the epipen 2 pack & two benadryl spoons. And a copy of her emergency plan. I also have wet wipes and usually a snack in there as well. We have a label on the outside with all of her allergy info and emergency contact details. I have always been told that you need both of the epipens in the two pack with you in case help doesn't arrive in time and you need to give a second dose.

The Be Quick was the perfect size when DD was newly potty trained & needed extra leggings, undies & socks but has been feeling a bit large for a while now. But everyone (DH, sitter, childcare ladies at the gym, other moms I do playdates with) know it by sight & know what is in there. It helps that it is a print and can be easily located. I never leave it in the car. Sometimes I use a small insulated pouch when it is very hot and we will be out for a while.

Her other epipens are kept in the cabinet of her preschool room. I don't have a backup at home except for an expired, noncloudy set. But her egg allergy is not very severe - the allergist didn't even prescribe the epi, but the ped insisted "just in case." Benadryl works great for her if she happens to be exposed. The last time was spattered cupcake batter on her cheek, ended up with hives. I know I would be more hyper about things if her reactions or her allergy tests showed that she had a more severe allergy. But I still carry one anyway, would hate to get taken by surprise with something. Subsequent reactions can be worse . . .

I had no idea that the benadryl spoons were for older kids, she is 3 1/2 and has used these quite a few times, very convenient.

cono0507
01-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Both of my kids have FA. (Plus my DH recently had anaphylaxis to tree nuts for the first time ever) so we have lots of epi pens around here!
I carry 2 epi pen jr and 2 single doses of benadryl in my purse.

In a kitchen drawer, I have 2-3 more sets of epi pens and benadryl
I have these bags:
https://www.foodallergy.org/members/msascart-ProductList?majorcat=featured&ONWEBFLG=Y&WHP=productHomeHeader.htm&WBP=productHomeList.htm
In each bag, I keep:
2 epi pens
2 doses of benadryl
handi wipe
bandaid
action plan/instructions/phone numbers

These bags can be easily grabbed if DH is going someplace or if one of the kids is going someplace without me. THey are always located in a particular drawer so everyone always knows where they are and they are in the location in the house we'd most likely need them (like when my egg allergic son accidentally drank some egg nog last month!)

ETA- link isn't working. It is a red back with a food allergy insignia that holds the above contents well.

citymama
01-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I *always* keep one in my purse and one in the diaper bag (DD2 has treenut allergies and is 20 months so we still use a diaper bag). We have a couple lying around at home at all times, usually in our medicine storage cabinet.