PDA

View Full Version : if you do pedis do you have your own kit?

eagle
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
ive had exactly one pedicure in my whole life. ive tried to do my own toenails but since i do them so infrequently i really suck. im sure practice will make perfect but its awkward for me to reach my toes. its really hard.

pedicure/manicure places kind of scare me. im really afraid of picking up some random fungus or something. so im thinking of bringing my own kits.

i found this list on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Pedicure-Tools-what-take-salon/lm/RMJP8DYLWOWQ1

what do you all think? do you have your own kits that you bring? what do you think of the tools in the list if you do?

do you think im overly paranoid?

just ask for references to clean places and be done with it?

thanks so much in advance!

amm40
01-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure that bringing your own equipment makes it any safer. I *think* the problems people often have are from the whirlpool tubs not being sanitized. I'm sure dirty tools have a hand in it too, but IMO, you could bring your own tools and still end up with an infection from the tub. Also, and not as importantly, I think the technicians would probably be more comfortable and do a better job with tools they are familiar with.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with more info...

The few times I've had mani/pedis I've just looked around for cleanliness and said a prayer!

wellyes
01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Personally, I have great fun at the Asian-owned strip mall mani-pedi places, but if you're nervous about it, I'd go to a day spa instead. I have never had a health problem, and I can't think of any friends who have either. Just saying you might be more comfortable at a salon that do a couple of not-super-cheap pedicures daily vs. salons that make money on high volume and fast customer turnover.

I wouldn't bring my own kit, I think it would be a little insulting and might disrupt their rhythm / process.

BayGirl2
01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Personally, I have great fun at the Asian-owned strip mall mani-pedi places, but if you're nervous about it, I'd go to a day spa instead. I have never had a health problem, and I can't think of any friends who have either. Just saying you might be more comfortable at a salon that do a couple of not-super-cheap pedicures daily vs. salons that make money on high volume and fast customer turnover.

I wouldn't bring my own kit, I think it would be a little insulting and might disrupt their rhythm / process.

:yeahthat: I also tend to go to the cheap places and have never had an issue. Its just not something I'm bothered by. As long as they have a sanitizer and I see them bring out new/clean tools for me I'm not phased.

At most places you can buy your own kit and have them keep it there. I've seen "regulars" do it. I think that would be the preferred method rather than bringing in something from Amazon.

Nu_mama
01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
At both of the cheaper places I frequent, they always open a new sterilized, sealed set of tools for each patron. I was under the impression that there must be some service nail salons use where they send in their used tools and order the sealed packs. This makes me feel just fine because both places are pretty clean otherwise. Another idea is to look for a place that is busy--always a good sign in my book.

eagle
01-22-2012, 11:06 PM
i think im just being irrational.

ill just go to a place that looks busy. if its empty ill run away.

if by chance i get some weird skin eating bacteria and i have to amputate my leg, ill report back.

this also ties into my fears at the swimming pool where they dont allow any shoes or sandals beyond a certain point. ive gone to the pool because my son seems to really enjoy water play but i still havent gotten over my fears of somehow getting athletes foot from the shower and dressing room areas. i think i may start to just go in warmer weather so that i can just skip the changing and dressing and do all that at home. driving in wet swim clothes kind of sucks though. first world problems.

its not the plague and its easily treatable but ugh i see my husband fighting it and i just dont want to ever get it.

maybe ill look to see if the places have their tools autoclaved...

wellyes
01-22-2012, 11:34 PM
first world problems.

Hee hee.

For what it's worth, I've know a LOT of guys with nasty toe fungus issues and very few women - actually none that I am aware of. Men's communal showers must be nasty. DH still shudders when he talks about some of the locker rooms he visited for away games playing high school football..... showers with standing water with things that moved in it, stuff like that.

mikala
01-22-2012, 11:44 PM
This is an older article but hits on the whole whirlpool tub sanitation thing.
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/mar/21/health/he-nail21

I've mostly moved to home pedicures due to cost and sanitation. I'd rather save my cash for cute shoes to wear with the pedicure :) The whole cutting cuticles thing also just gives me the heeby jeebies and I can never relax during that part after a bad experience.