PDA

View Full Version : DH is out of town and very sick- what can I do?

gatorsmom
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Three of our kids have been sick this week with a stomach bug. Two of them were throwing up for 2-3 days. One of my kids threw up and then had diarhea. Dh just left for a 7day convention. He texted me along the way saying he had diarhea in the plane, then in the airport. When he was waiting in line of the hotel lobby, he passed out. They put him in a wheel chair and took him up to his room. He called me and said he has the chills and severe diarhea.

Fortunately, he is at this convention with 5 of his employees. I called one of them and they said they were going to the grocery store. He said he'd get whatever DH needed. I told him to buy lots of Gatorade, Advil, Tylenol, saltenes, some bananas, bread (there is a toaster in the hotel room) and a thermometer. DH's immune system is compromised by his rheumatoid arthritis medication. I'm pretty worried about him.

Is there anything else I can/should do? Anything else his employee should get for him?

Indianamom2
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Ugh...I feel for him (and you). I had something very similar last month, in my own home, that sent me to the hospital for dehydration very quickly. I would say that if he starts vomitting, he should consider going in for IV fluids....or at the very least have someone check on him pretty regularly.

If he has already passed out, that's not good. I have never been/felt as sick as I did that one night and so if he has something similar, he might need some help.

Oh, forgot to add...maybe some imodium?

elephantmeg
01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
poor guy. That sounds like a good start. What about some immodium for in a day or so, chicken noodle soup, sprite and jello.

wellyes
01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm so sorry.
Check in with the hotel front desk to see if they have a doctor they can recommend?
And do encourage him to go to the ER if he even slightly suspects it'd be a good idea.

ahisma
01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
My friend's DD just went through something similar and wound up needing IV fluids pretty quickly. It started with diarrhea and within hours she needed fluids, which surprised everyone because she's 10 and a pretty solid kid. She was fainting before vomiting, it was bizarre.

Given that he fainted, I'd definitely have someone monitoring him for signs of dehydration, and consider finding a way to get him somewhere where he could get fluids.

mikala
01-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Would it be helpful to call his regular doctor tomorrow to see if there is anything else they suggest given his health history? I agree with the others, definitely have someone check on him regularly. You might want to have him contact you at specific intervals and then have some contact numbers yourself just in case you need to have someone there in person check on him.

:hug: Illness while traveling is always 10x worse than illness at home and the stomach flu is a special beast.

If they need to get other groceries at some point jell-o and applesauce cups seem to be helpful around here.

crl
01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
I wonder if the hotel can find a doctor to check him out in his hotel room. I would definitely ask someone to check on him several times a day. And to make sure he has a phone in reach at all times.

Catherine

Kindra178
01-22-2012, 11:36 PM
He needs to force himself to stay hydrated. A lot of men aren't good at powering through this, so getting a bag of saline at the ER may make him feel better.

If he is good at taking care of himself, the trick is a mouthful of gatorade or pedialyte every 15 minutes. He is probably so dehydrated that he will want to chug it, but he won't be able to keep that down. IF he can keep that down, and I mean for a few hours, try a pedialyte or generic popsicle. The hotel should be able to freeze them for him. You buy them unfrozen. They really work. I don't think food is a good option until he is really free of symptoms.

rlmomto5
01-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Last time I had a stomach virus, I called my doctor and she called in some phenergran. (wrong spelling) Maybe you're doctor could call a nearby pharmacy where your husband is. Hope he gets better. There is nothing worse than a stomach virus.

Tondi G
01-23-2012, 03:07 AM
apple sauce cups (natural/ no sugar added if possible)

ginger ale

sprite

mineral water (sometimes simple perrier or seltzer goes down easier)

bottled water (in smaller bottles so he can monitor how much he has been able to drink in a certain time frame)

jello cups (any color but red ... green would probably work well, lime would probably be more appealing with an upset stomach)

I had a bad experience with Immodium .... awful doubled over cramping etc. I stumbled upon homeopathic pellets for diarrhea that worked much faster and with no discomfort ... he probably would want to take them in a couple of days though. If you stomach is trying to get rid of a bug or bacteria you don't want to take something to stop things up. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ZI5LE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/182-5388510-2555213?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0EJ0TT292TXSYRP9XKE4&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B001GCTWDM

I agree with the others to have him monitored regularly ... and if need be to see about local urgent care clinics or a doctor who does "house calls" to the hotel if possible. If at any time you call your hubby and can't reach him, call the hotel and ask someone from the desk to check on him asap.

chlobo
01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Hope your husband is feeling better this morning.

gatorsmom
01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Hope your husband is feeling better this morning.

I called this morning and his employee checked on him and texted me. He sounds much better, though very frustrated. He needs to be out selling with his employees and I think it's driving him nuts that he really can't leave the hotel room. But after talking to him he sounds much clearer and more coherent than yesterday. It was scary talking to him yesterday.

He says that since his last diarrhea episode in the airport he landed at, he hasn't had another one. And he's peeing alot, which is a good sign that he's drinking all his gatorade. I suspect he's trying to do everything he can so that he can feel better as quickly as possible. Inactivity would kill my husband faster than dehydration, I suspect. ;)

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful advice and concern.

erosenst
01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
As he's able to keep more down...most business hotels have chicken soup, saltines, etc even if it's not on the menu - for when he feels up to eating a little more.

Hope he's way past the worst. Having been in his position (sick in a hotel while traveling for business) it's *no* fun.

MamaKath
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Relieved to hear he is feeling better! Hope it continues. :)