PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a sick 3 yr old...meds?

sunshine873
01-23-2012, 12:01 AM
DD & I will be flying to Hawaii on Friday. :yay: DH is already there & we're going to meet him. I'm already a little nervous about a few long flights with DD on my own (2 hrs, 5 hrs, 6 hrs) and now she has a runny nose and a slightly scratchy sounding throat. Ugh. I'm really concerned that by the time we get to Friday she's going to have a full-blown cold with stuffiness, cough, etc. Any other time she's been sick, we've ridden it out with humidifiers, saline drops, steamy bathrooms, etc. (early on she used a nebulizer, but not anymore.) Now I'm worried about her ears and general comfort on the flight. She just turned 3 and is around 33 pounds. Would you be comfortable giving your DC any children's cold medicines in this situation? Specifics?

Giantbear
01-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Just flew home with DD from FL when she had a cough and runny nose, 1.5 hr trip. Doc told me to give her advil before takeoff to make her more comfortable

mikala
01-23-2012, 12:11 AM
I'd wait it out a few days and talk to your pediatrician later this week if it seems to be developing into much. Keep her hydrated and well rested and do all the usual stuff to get healthy again.

I'd be sure to take on drinks, suckers, etc. to help with pressure changes and would be prepared with Tylenol/Advil/thermometer in your carryon just in case.

As I understand it children's cold medicines don't help stop the progress of a cold anymore than adult medicines do. They might help treat symptoms but they won't prevent something from causing things like an ear infection.

Good luck! I hope it blows over quickly and you have a great trip!

Tondi G
01-23-2012, 03:19 AM
I was a little older (3rd grade) when I finally saw an ENT and had my tonsils and adenoids removed and ear tubes put in place. I had damaged my ears from too many EI's and ruptured ear drums on planes etc. My ENT used to tell me to use Afrin nasal spray 20 minutes before take off and if we were on the plane longer than 6 hrs about 10 minutes before we landed to avoid swelling in my sinuses that could affect my ears/ear drums. This was ANY time I flew ... not just if I had a cold and was traveling.

If she is really congested I would absolutely talk to your pediatrician and ask what they recommend you give her to ease the sinus/nasal congestion so she doesn't end up with an EI from the pressure etc. I think a nasal spray would be most effective rather than a liquid systemic medication she would need to take. I know little noses makes a decongestant drop (they also make a saline drop/spray) but I don't think it is particularly effective. You might want to try a quick 1 spray in each nostril of an afrin mist (pump spray ... not the original stuff that drips down the back of your throat and tastes super ICKY! If I was flying and my child was really congested this is what I would do.... but you need to make sure you are comfortable with doing so.

http://www.amazon.com/Afrin-Extra-Moisturizing-5-Ounce-Pumps/dp/B001EPQ5UO/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327302840&sr=1-3

I hope she recovers quickly and is feeling a ton better before you are scheduled to leave on your trip! Hope you have a wonderful time!

roseyloxs
01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Once found out that both my kids 18 months and 4 year old had ear infections just 12 hours before I was about to take them by myself on an airplane for a 4 hour flight. Doc said it was safe to fly and recommended advil or tylenol about 30 min before take-off. I made sure the kids had something to eat or drink during take-off and landing to aid their ears during the pressure changes. It went great considering and got through the flight with no tears.

khalloc
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
My kids doctor will give us a prescription for antibiotics if we are flying somewhere on vacation. Especially if either child is sick with a cold. We get the antibiotics unmixed (so powder and water separately) so I can carry them onboard the plane just in case. I would also bring tylenol or motrin.

sunshine873
01-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I've never wished for DD to get sicker, but this morning she woke up with a pretty good cough. I'm actually a little bit relieved and hoping it runs its course before Friday!!!

LKMang
01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
We went on vacation to WDW back in december. About 4 days before we were supposed to leave, DS (was almost 3 years old) starts grabbing his ears. Went to the ped and he had a bad ear infection. I was so worried about flying, I was almost ready just to drive! Both peds that we saw thought he would be ok. He got on an antibiotic immediately and was totally fine for the flight. They said even a couple days on the antibiotic would help with the symptoms from the ear infection.

Hope she is feeling better soon!!!

Jenn850
01-23-2012, 01:41 PM
I would bring a thermometer along too... just in case you need to monitor a fever on route. We just had a two week vacation in fl where the four of us swapped viruses the whole time! Good luck!