PDA

View Full Version : Finger Pricks Not Clotting & Runny Blood?

amldaley
01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
My swelling has gotten REALLY bad the last ten days. Dr wants me in compression hose, etc. Had to go to work late one day as I had no shoes that fit!

Simultaneous to the swelling increase, I noticed by blood sugars went up a little and my finger prick wounds aren't clotting as well. My blood seems runnier than before and it takes a minute or two as opposed to a few seconds to get the bleeding to stop.

Any ideas? Seperate issues or connected? Do I need to bother the Dr with this? I don't have an appointment until Friday.

karstmama
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
likely no biggie, but possibly something to be concerned about. are your fingers swollen, too? if so, it might just be some of that fluid continuing to leak out the finger prick hole. that is annoying but not dangerous.

have you had your cbc checked lately? the thing that might be concerning is if your platelets are low.

hang in, baby, the end is in sight!

swissair81
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Definitely get your platelets checked. Is your blood pressure high as well?

mommylamb
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I have no idea, but I'd call your OB at least to let them know that it's something you noticed. They might want you to come in before Friday. Sorry the swelling is getting worse. If there's other fluid that's coming out making the blood more runny, I'd be worried about getting inaccurate readings.

carolinamama
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
likely no biggie, but possibly something to be concerned about. are your fingers swollen, too? if so, it might just be some of that fluid continuing to leak out the finger prick hole. that is annoying but not dangerous.

have you had your cbc checked lately? the thing that might be concerning is if your platelets are low.

hang in, baby, the end is in sight!

:yeahthat:

And how is your blood pressure?

You are in the home stretch!

legaleagle
01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Not to freak you out but I would definitely call ASAP. Low platelets and swelling are symptoms of HELPP. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/hellpsyndrome.html

ellies mom
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Edema can absolutely effect fingerpricks and results. I would definitely call your doctor and not wait until your appointment because edema of the upper extremities would be concerning to me. Do your hands feel swollen? If you push your finger into the back of your hand, what happens?

mctlaw
01-23-2012, 05:44 PM
No advice, but amldaley, I wanted to say my goodness you are going through so much lately. Thank goodness you are in the home stretch!

amldaley
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Definitely get your platelets checked. Is your blood pressure high as well?

Nope - I typically run on the low end of normal. It is *slightly* elevated for me...I think last Friday it was 10something over 68?

amldaley
01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
No advice, but amldaley, I wanted to say my goodness you are going through so much lately. Thank goodness you are in the home stretch!

lol..thanks! My Dr and I had a good laugh together last week about how many odd and random things I have going on. She said she does not want to hand me off to another Dr for the c-section b/c she is curious to see this through to the end to see what else happens!

amldaley
01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Edema can absolutely effect fingerpricks and results. I would definitely call your doctor and not wait until your appointment because edema of the upper extremities would be concerning to me. Do your hands feel swollen? If you push your finger into the back of your hand, what happens?

Hands seem to swell a bit while sleeping by really my fingers are only a tiny bit tight. I don't get the "dent" when I push in. (As oppossed to the 2 inch deep dent in my legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)