PDA

View Full Version : Spotting before AF-perimenopause?

wendibird22
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm wondering if this is a sign of my hormones starting to tank aka perimenopause. I'll be 37 next month. For the past 3 monthly cycles I've started spotting 4-5 days before my period. It's usually dark brown with some red mixed in. It isn't much but enough to necessitate a panty liner. It'll last 1-2 days then stop for 2 days and then AF arrives. It's annoying because I end up feeling like AF is here for a week and a half (AF usually lasts 6-7 days). I'm not on any BC. This is new for me as in the past I'd only have a bit of pink spotting about a day before AF. I have an appointment with my PCP in a few weeks so I'll mention it then but thought I'd check in with the wise BBB for any BTDT.

ETA: my PCP follow up is on my other hosts of issues I've been dealing with for over a year...heartburn, bloating, headaches, muscle aches, fatigue, etc. I've been gluten free for 3mos to see if gluten is my issue. I've also previously asked her if hormones are a cause of the above since they happen cyclically but her response is always that so long as I'm getting monthly AF, hormones are normal.

rin
01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Well, I don't know if it's a sign of hormonal problems, but I always have that exact same thing happen, and have for years (ever since I can remember). I'm 31 and haven't had any diagnosed fertility issues, so I don't think I'm going through perimenopause, although of course I don't really know.

lovin2shop
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
I've experienced this in the past, and always have been curious about it since I did go through secondary infertility while this was happening. I finally conceived successfully after doing acupuncture and Chinese herbs, during which time my cycle was a completely regular 28 day cycle. So, it must have been a hormone issue of some sort, and the treatment regulated them. My OB just stared at me blankly when I asked about all of this, and he didn't have any kind of answer for how or why my hormones were unbalanced. After nursing and getting my period again, I went back to the early spotting issue every single month. All of this started for me at about 35. I'm now almost 40, but have had the Mirena IUD for about 6 months now, so not a regular cycle to track any longer.

Curious to hear if you uncover the cause as I never did!

jench
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
wow, I don't have any answers for you but the EXACT same thing started happening to me a few months ago. I thought I was pregnant the first time! I'm almost 41, so I am thinking perimenopause, too... Hope you get some answers...

maiaann
01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Well, I don't know if it's a sign of hormonal problems, but I always have that exact same thing happen, and have for years (ever since I can remember). I'm 31 and haven't had any diagnosed fertility issues, so I don't think I'm going through perimenopause, although of course I don't really know.

Same here, except I'm 33. My cycles went wonky after I quit BFing my 3rd baby. I asked the dr about it once and she brushed it off. She said if I was 40 or older she's suspect peri-menopause, but not in one's 30s. She didn't seem concerned.

Melaine
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh my word...I was having the EXACT same thing for the last couple years (well, now I am pregnant so it's been a few months). EXACT same issue. It started for me age 26 or 27 (I'm 29 now). No idea what caused it but it annoyed the heck out of me because AF seemed like it was lasting like 12 days with the extra spotting! Pluse for awhile I was having AF coming EVEN earlier so I swear I was on my period for half the month. SO annoying.

Dream
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
I have the same but it only started after I had the IUD.

wendibird22
01-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, glad I'm not alone. I'm sure the doc will just shrug since I'm still ovulating regularly (I get monthly ovulation pain so I know when it's happening) and everything else about AF is the same (it's regular, flow is the same, lasts the same). It's just so annoying!

Twin Mom
01-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I have had spotting for a few days before a very light AF would arrive on and off for years (I think since I had my DC) and honestly I didn't think much about it b/c cycles change as you get older (AF comes more frequently according to my obgyn).

This time at my annual when I told her that my cycles were long she wanted to see if I had a polyp. She says bleeding for more than 10 days is not normal. She did a vaginal ultrasound and confirmed I had a polyp. The longer cycles really didn't bother me b/c it was so minor and I use the Diva cup but she said the polyp had to come out. She also said that polyps are very common for women in their 40's. I know the OP isn't that old yet but maybe you should ask about it. I ended up getting the Mirena at the same time she removed the polyp so now I barely bleed at all except for a little spotting.

DietCokeLover
01-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I have had the same thing for the past year or two. I call it the dark sludge because that's what it reminds me of. I hate it. I'm 41 so it could be perimenopause for me too.
Ha, I actually told DH today I was ready for menopause because I can't have any more children so the whole AF thing is pointless now and I am mostly tired of the breast tenderness for days before.

PAfirsttimemom
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I can relate! I feel like I can't tell when my real period starts and finishes anymore. I have spotting beforehand and heavier flow for a couple days, which tapers off. Then I will have a day or so with nothing followed by a day of pretty heavy flow, which tapers off to spotting again for another day or so. It is so aggravating. Feels like I have my period for half the cycle. I wear pantyliners most of the month, so I won't ruin my underwear with unexpected staining. Sorry for TMI. Glad to hear I am not alone, but sorry others are dealing with weird cycles, too!

oneplustwo
02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I had similar bleeding for quite a while, and just lived with it, assuming it was the start of perimenopause (I'm in my mid-forties). More recently I was battling fatigue and finally went to see my PCP about it. It turned out I had very low ferritin levels, so my PCP put me on iron supplements. Shortly after, my bleeding became worse and I had some other symptoms, including what seemed like the world's worst yeast infection that didn't respond to any treatment ~ I called it the period from hell ~ and the PCP found what she called a cervical polyp. It turned out to be a cyst that was really big, and the gyn said it was causing all my symptoms and must have been there for quite some time (I had been quite bad at getting my annual exams/PAP smear). A couple weeks ago I had surgery to take it out and my symptoms are finally starting to resolve themselves. So long story short, don't assume it's perimenopause ~ it could be a polyp or fibroid (and easily fixable!).

wendibird22
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks for sharing oneplustwo. I mentioned it to my PCP that it's happened for the past 3 cycles. She said to keep an eye on it and let her know if it continues. I have a follow up with her in 4wk so I'll have had another cycle by then to see if anything changes. Everything else with my cycle seems to be normal.