PDA

View Full Version : any female sports fans here?

AnnieW625
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Reading the football narration post got me thinking about this. I love sports and I know a lot about sports and I pride myself on that. I will talk sports with anyone who will listen to me including the a typical male sports fan and it catches them off guard. The NFL is probably my favorite sport followed by college football, the NBA (my favorite team royally stinks right now though), and then baseball. I have no interest in soccer. I listen sports radio most evenings when I am driving home. I often feel like I am a fish out of water because I am a female and I follow sports as much as the atypical male sports fan.

So sad the 49ers lost so go Patriots!

eta: and how could I forget college basketball, Go 'Cuse!

BabyDahl
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
:wavey:
Count me as a big sports fan. I watch football (LOTS of college, but also NFL, I just don't have a team), basketball, and baseball. I'm not a soccer fan and I only like hockey IRL, not so much on tv. I'd guess 90% of my tv watching is sports or SportCenter (the other 10% being Friends reruns or whatever DH is watching, like PawnStars).

Kindra178
01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
I love college football, NFL second and basketball third. I have also been know to watch college lax on tv(!!?). I used to love baseball, but kind of over it watching it on tv.

megs4413
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I am a huge sports fan. :) My favorite sport to watch is college basketball and I'm a Duke fan primarily (though I will cheer for KU so long as they're not playing my Blue Devils!) I live for March Madness...my absolute favorite time of the year! My son is named after my favorite Duke player of all time.

I will watch just about any sport aside from boxing/fighting/racing. I'm too wimpy to watch any kind of fighting (though I will watch college wrestling!) and I find car racing terribly boring.

I wish I could find some IRL female friends to watch and talk sports with, but I have yet to find any. I officiated basketball for many years and loathe watching with most men...very few have a real grasp of the actual rules and it drives me batty to watch them complain about calls that were 100% accurate. I once officiated a mens' college game (strictly NAIA, not NCAA) and you should have seen the looks I got before the game from the players! HA!

Indianamom2
01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Count me in.:waving4:

I love NFL football (Go Colts...but man what a rough season!) followed pretty closely by college football (I live in a major college football town).

I also really like baseball (GO Cardinals!). I can converse pretty darn well about football and baseball.

I like March madness basketball, otherwise I don't watch it.

Soccer...nope...not going to happen. Car racing of any sort....I'd rather watch paint dry.

BTW, I learned to love football (and learned about it period) by watching with my in-laws and then-boyfriend/fiance on Sunday afternoons. I had no choice! I also learned all the rules by playing NCAA football on the Xbox. I can beat DH. I'm not bad at all.

wellyes
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I like the NFL. Having lived in Pittsburgh and Boston, I have had way more than my fair share of AFC Championship celebrations in my lifetime.

I don't follow baseball or hockey, but I love going to minor league games for both of those sports. And the couple of Red Sox games I've been to were really marvelous.

buddyleebaby
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't love all sports but I do love pro football.

I like hockey but rarely get the opportunity to see it because we don't have cable.

I love soccer. It is fast and exciting and I am just constantly impressed by the players athleticism...but not their acting. :ROTFLMAO:Again, though, I rarely see it because of the cable thing.

I tolerate baseball. I don't like watching it on tv but I can enjoy a game in person.

I do not like basketball, at all. Blech.

babychi
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
I LOVE sports, love 'em! And still consider myself a girly-girl at times, too. I think people are seriously shocked when I can rattle off division records and pass vs. run stats.

I LOVE football, there is no better sport IMO, especially college football. I live in the heart of SEC country and it's like heaven in the fall down here, even though I am a huge Ohio State Buckeye fan. I like college basketball too and the NFL. But I greatly prefer college sports...there is something about the pagentry, amateur nature of the sport that makes it more exciting to me.

Both NFL games yesterday were unreal though, what an exciting Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to the Patriots vs. Giants and am rooting for the Giants...I feel that Eli Manning doesn't get enough credit for being a fantastic quarterback. Though I do love me some Tom Brady, for other reasons. :)

BTW - I am listening to the Herd on ESPN Radio at work as I type this. ;)

giavila
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes! I'm married to a bay area sports fanatic, so I like to keep up and it's a fun past time for us. So bummed about the Niner loss yesterday! But we are looking forward to baseball season and always travel the 400 miles from LA to SF for opening day. I don't follow basketball. Mostly NFL and MLB.

Ms B
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I know more about sports than most women. I think it comes from working in a male-dominated field for so long -- if you want to be able to get along, you have to be able to communicate with the natives.

That said, I do like some sports more than others. I went to an ACC college, so I am all about college b-ball (to the point where vacations pre-DS were scheduled around where we could go to watch NCAA tournament games). I like major and minor league baseball, especially if I can watch the games live and eat nachos while I do it. I love Olympic sports. All of them. Even the ones you only see every four years like weightlifting and men's field hockey and modern pentathalon. I also like the traditional "chick" sports, like gymnastics and ice skating.

Football is not a favorite for me, but I do enjoy watching my hometown team play. I have learned a lot about the game, though, so that I can talk with the guys at the office. Much to their chagrin, I often outpick them in the office pools, probably because I look just at the odds, stats, and injury reports and do not make picks based on things like which quarterback is "hot" and which team historically loses on Thanksgiving Day. DH luuurrrrves football and I anticipate that he and DS will spend a lot of Sundays bonding over it if DS turns out to like that game. Which is fine with me if DH continues the tradition of cooking Sunday dinner while he watches the games. :rotflmao:

Sorry about the 49ers, but I do love me some Manning boys. We ate dinner one table over from the Mannings in New Orleans several years back and I can report that Eli is as cute in person as he is on TV! :D

mom3boys
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
I love ML baseball and NFL football. I used to watch the baseball game every evening, or listen to it on the radio, when I lived in my favorite team's area. I still watch them if there is a nationally televised game or they are playing a New York team. When my favorite team (Red Sox) won the World Series in 2004, I literally broke down in tears, I was so happy. I was watching the game by myself so I was definitely not putting on a show. I pride myself in being able to speak intelligently about these 2 sports.

I get into March Madness but otherwise don't watch NCAA basketball. I am not a big College Football fan, but will watch sometimes as DH likes it. I think the bowls are so pointless though--have a championship playoff, already! I even watch Golf occasionally. I also try to watch the Kentucky Derby every year. I don't like car racing, don't really watch hockey (except sometimes I'll go to a game--hockey games are fun to watch in person), don't really watch the NBA unless it's the championship and the Celtics are playing. And of course, I watch the Olympics but I think every one does!

TwinFoxes
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm a big sports fan. I grew up loving baseball, but now I am more interested in football, both college and pro. My ringtone is the MNF theme. Sadly, my teams are always lovable losers. :shake: DH loves hockey, so now I can follow the game, but am not really a fan. At least he roots for a team that wins, so I finally got to experience what it's like to have the team you follow win a championship! I've never been that into basketball, and I prefer college over pro, which drive DH nuts. DH also has gotten really into NASCAR the last few years. I just can't get into it. I follow it so we can talk about it, and since in general I like sports it's not too painful. But there's no way I'll ever watch a race if he's not sitting next to me controlling the remote. :)

So not into soccer. And I lived in the England. I prefer rugby.

ellies mom
01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
I know more about sports than most women. I think it comes from working in a male-dominated field for so long -- if you want to be able to get along, you have to be able to communicate with the natives.

:yeahthat:

I like sports well enough. I'm not as big a fan as my husband but I will sit down and watch football and basketball games with him. My basketball team (Sacramento Kings) are horrid this year but my husband's (Chicago Bulls) have gotten off to a great start. My husband's football team (the Bears) was awful but my team (the Patriots) have done fairly well.

Ms B
01-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I am a huge sports fan. :) My favorite sport to watch is college basketball and I'm a Duke fan primarily (though I will cheer for KU so long as they're not playing my Blue Devils!) I live for March Madness...my absolute favorite time of the year! My son is named after my favorite Duke player of all time.

I wish I could find some IRL female friends to watch and talk sports with, but I have yet to find any. I officiated basketball for many years and loathe watching with most men...very few have a real grasp of the actual rules and it drives me batty to watch them complain about calls that were 100% accurate. I once officiated a mens' college game (strictly NAIA, not NCAA) and you should have seen the looks I got before the game from the players! HA!

Megs --

Dukie here. Tent #2 when I was a senior. Right now is my happy time of year. :yay: Football pretty much over, baseball not yet started, and all college hoops all the time.

That said, I cannot root for the Dirty Birds, unless they are playing UNC. My assistant is a huge Kansas fan. Needless to say, things get a bit heated around here sometimes! :hopmad:

I hear you on the naming. At one point, I suggested Grant as a name for DS, but DH was not going for it. That said, DH is a big Arkansas fan, so I told him no way were we naming DS after Scotty Thurman! :hysterical:

My fave person to watch the games with IS another woman. A friend of mine played Division I ladies' ball in college and used to coach AAU high school ball. She has fibro and is on disability right now, so she will watch four to six games a day during the season. She is expert at game analysis and will sit there pre-calling the plays ("Now they'll run a screen to the left, just watch their short forward!"). I always consult with her before making my tourney picks!!

AnnieW625
01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
My basketball team (Sacramento Kings) are horrid this year.

Yes! I knew it there are more Kings fans besides me. Gosh I wish Vinny Del Negro was our coach. The Maloofs are really nice (I met them when I was ian intern at channel 10 in college) and were great owners for many years but Geoff Petrie has way too much control of that team I blame him for the demise of the early 2000s teams. Gettibg rid of Rick Adelman was just stupid! Part of me though would be happy if they moved to Anaheim, but now with the Clippers having some notable players I am not so sure that will work. LA is first and foremost a Laker town; and when they are doing well it is so hard to avoid all of the excitement the team brings.

elektra
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
I guess I am sort of a "fair weather fan". :) I do know a lot about sports compared to the average female but I am not a huge fan in general. I do love any kinds of playoffs though, no matter the sport, and I LOVE the Olympics. Really looking forward to that later this year.
The Superbowl should be fun too- I have watched the last few playoff games and I will be actually going to the game in Indianapolis.

sunshine873
01-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm a huge NFL fan - specifically the Packers. Great season! Sad ending.

For some reason, I just hate basketball. I've never gotten into it & just don't like watching it. I can't even explain why.

Any and all other sports, I don't really follow, but I really enjoy watching live.

Momit
01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Another sports fan here! College football is definitely my favorite, followed by hockey, pro football, college basketball, then baseball, then NBA.

Go Patriots! (and yes, I was a fan LONG before the recent "dynasty" years. Same with the Red Sox).

ellies mom
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes! I knew it there are more Kings fans besides me. Gosh I wish Vinny Del Negro was our coach. The Maloofs are really nice (I met them when I was ian intern at channel 10 in college) and were great owners for many years but Geoff Petrie has way too much control of that team I blame him for the demise of the early 2000s teams. Gettibg rid of Rick Adelman was just stupid! Part of me though would be happy if they moved to Anaheim, but now with the Clippers having some notable players I am not so sure that will work. LA is first and foremost a Laker town; and when they are doing well it is so hard to avoid all of the excitement the team brings.

I actually blame the demise of the team on the Maloofs. The team started going downhill when they started getting more hands on with personnel decisions. I believe they have even admitted that turned out to be a bad idea. I agree that getting rid of Adelman was an awful move. And that whole Chris Webber trade debacle was a complete disaster that they are still recovering from.

As far as moving them, yeah, I think LA is pretty saturated with NBA teams, so adding a third is probably not the best idea. I think the sense of entitlement that some of these owners have when it comes to building new arenas and stadiums is mind-boggling. They are filthy rich but then expect cities to pony up money to build them new arenas even though the cities are struggling to provide basic services. I think they should be content getting tax breaks but apparently that isn't enough.

BDKmom
01-23-2012, 02:03 PM
As a teenager, I was a huge NFL and major league baseball fan, then in college more college football, college baseball and MLB. Now college football first, followed by NFL, then baseball. I will watch soccer with DH, though I don't love it. I really dislike basketball except for March Madness, and really know nothing about hockey.

I listen to sports talk radio most days (although now that college football is over, probably not as much). My MIL says she knew that I was the girl for DH when she overheard me having a discussion with him about the Braves' pitchers' stats for the year :)

Living in SEC country, it is thankfully not hard to find other women who follow sports just as closely. Makes it nice going to games and having football watching parties. I can actually watch the games and don't feel like I have to entertain the girls--they are all right there with me watching.

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
I used to be more into it. In high school, I was on the drill team so went to every football game. I took the time to learn football. I always liked baseball. I still don't care about basketball and hockey is just ok. My interest has waned but I can talk somewhat intelligently about the game and some about the players.

BabbyO
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm still crying about the end of the Packers season...it was sigh...I can't even come up with the words.

I know significantly more about NFL football than my husband will ever know. I also really enjoy college basketball, and there's nothing better than a good little league game (sorry, pro baseball is boring...watching the kids though is a blast).

I have found that since being married to DH and specifically since having kids I watch/follow sports significantly less.

DH not a sports guy at all. But I have found that I can name far more super heros and comic book characters than I would have ever expected to know! :)

smilequeen
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
I absolutely am.

I grew up in a big baseball family. I absolutely love the Cardinals. I have such great memories of going to games with my Grandpa who always had season tickets.

I also really love hockey, my son plays and our Blues are doing awesome this year.

I am so/so on football, I'm a Rams fan but they make it difficult. Not big on basketball.

Really not into college sports. But pro stuff I love.

boolady
01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Yes, definitely. My father is a huge, lifelong Phillies fan who did not let the fact that he had 3 daughters stop him from making them huge, lifelong Phillies fans. We've been going to games since I was a kid, and my parents still have, although not a complete season ticket plan, a pretty substantial season ticket plan and we all go several times a year. We've been there through the very good and very bad, and I'm so glad that the last 10 years or so have been better, because my dad was definitely a very long suffering loyal Phillies fan.

I've been to Divisional, League Championship, and World Series games with my dad. :heartbeat: It's a very sentimental, nostalgic thing for me and I still love going with him or with DH--it's not so that I can say I went to the World Series. DH loves baseball, and likes following ice hockey, but isn't a football fan, so we're largely a baseball household.

I enjoy watching football...in high school, my friends and I did football stats and football just reminds me of growing up and of autumn; however, I have not been following since the Eagles acquired Michael Vick. I know some say he's paid his debt and is a story of redemption...I don't. And I don't want to get into a debate about whether sports figures should be role models for kids, because whether they are or were for me or I think they should be, they clearly are.

ilfaith
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I am probably more of a sports fan than DH. A few seasons ago we were at a Jaguars game and I had to explain to him what a "safety" was.

I grew up in a family of sports watchers (and players), whereas DH's family had no interest. My mom is the eldest of three daughters, and therefore became my grandpa's sports buddy, rooting for the Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics (as well as the Giants before the Patriots existed...so there's no huge Super Bowl rivalry in my parents' New Jersey home). My dad was at the first Mets game played at Shea Stadium (and forgot where he parked his car), Is a huge Giants fan and a former NJ Devils season ticket holder (although before the Devils we rooted for the Rangers...and my heart is still with them.)

At the moment I am over the moon about my Giants...not to mention my alma mater's basketball team (in spite of their first loss over the weekend...Go Orange!)

I'll watch NFL and College football (I am in Gator country), prefer college hoops to the NBA, and love my Mets (DH does watch baseball and is trying to sway my boys toward the Yankees). We don't see a lot of hockey here in Jacksonville...but it is still one of my favorite sports to watch. Honestly, I'll watch just about any sport. Love the Olympics, where I'll tune into anything from track & field to synchronized swimming...Greco-Roman wrestling...I'm there...dressage, yep...I'll watch that too.

rlu
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I was watching football, baseball and car racing with my dad and "figure" skating and gymnastics with my mom. Added in hockey when SJ got their team (as a kid I'd watch some with my dad who was an Oakland Seals fan back in the day).

We only watch basketball when DS shows an interest as we flip the channels. DH played in middle school and I have PE class knowledge of the game, so I can explain well enough to DS if we do watch, but not often.

DS is interested in soccer so we'll watch those but I'm still learning the rules.

OT - At work this morning we received a taunting email from a co-worker in Boston to which I replied (after deciding not to put WTH?) the Niners have never lost a Superbowl, I've seen them win 5 in my lifetime, I have a lot of life left, and I can wait a year. The Niner faithful are always that. She replied she was glad to see the end of the 49er trips to the Superbowl to which I replied, then you better close your eyes the next couple of years. Yes, I sunk to her level. Sigh, nice to see that attitude is not here on these boards.

eta: any Wide World of Sports fans? I grew up watching that every Saturday.

ilfaith
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
eta: any Wide World of Sports fans? I grew up watching that every Saturday.

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Loved that you could catch anything from downhill skiing to lumberjack competitions.

kedss
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
I grew up a football nut in Denver, watched AAA baseball and watched the Nuggets play. I'm from Philly so I have to root for the Phillies, took me a long time to get over losing to Toronto.

I also can watch Golf, Tennis and most sports, not crazy about College sports, though. But will watch MArch Madness for a bit. :) A husband of a friend of mine saw me reading the sports section once, and asked if it was too late for his wife, I said, probably is, I was trained as a child. :)

elektra
01-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Loved that you could catch anything from downhill skiing to lumberjack competitions.

And it always showed that skier crashing and flipping over that little house thing in the beginning when the voice over said, "agony of defeat".

AnnieW625
01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
And it always showed that skier crashing and flipping over that little house thing in the beginning when the voice over said, "agony of defeat".

Gosh I miss ABC Sports on Saturday afternoon. I was gluef to ice skating. ABC Sports just isn't the same on ESPN.

We love the Olympics too. Hopefully it will get DD1 jazzed about swimming this year. When I was about her age the Olympics were in California and my parents volunteered at the US rowing Olympic trials, and that was fun, and got me excited about them too.

Jo..
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
You women are ruining it for the rest of us. :hysterical:

Now my dh expects a hot meal, warm bed partner, and a sports-buddy. Something has to give.

ladysoapmaker
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I am a diehard Cleveland Browns and Indians Fan (football & baseball, respectively). Ohio State Women's basketball. I get frustrated that the area I live in I don't get these on the tv where I live (I refuse to pay for cable, it would up my chances). And I try to watch the Olympics, religiously.

I use to play softball and basketball. and I also use to swim competitively. And I bike ride and try to catch the Tour de France.

I've never quite figured out soccer but DH and the younger kids like it.

Jen

kdeunc
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I joke that I am the son my father never had! I love sports, especially college sports. I also went to an ACC school (hence the screen name) and love college basketball, football and baseball. I worked with the college baseball team for 4 years and in minor league baseball for 3. I learned to keep a baseball scorebook when I was 9.

I am not a huge professional fan or soccer fan but I really will watch anything. I don't think I could have married a man with less interest in sports in general. He will watch his schools football team and mine but really not much else.

boolady
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
You women are ruining it for the rest of us. :hysterical:

Now my dh expects a hot meal, warm bed partner, and a sports-buddy. Something has to give.

Actually, I think my DH would prefer if I would leave him alone to watch ball games. I don't think he appreciates my commentary. :shrug:

Ms B
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Perhaps he needs to learn to cook . . . mine does (and does it while watching his Sunday football games)!! :ROTFLMAO:

TwinFoxes
01-23-2012, 04:42 PM
My MIL says she knew that I was the girl for DH when she overheard me having a discussion with him about the Braves' pitchers' stats for the year :)

My DH still talks about one time when we were first going out. We were in a bar, and there was some trivia thing going on that we weren't paying attention to. But the question was "what year did the Dolphins go undefeated". I yelled out "1972!" and won a pint of Guinness for him. He knew I was a keeper. :)

I totally loved the Wide World of Sports. Watched it EVERY weekend. I read a story that for some ABC Sports anniversary they invited the skier to their dinner, and he got a standing ovation, which completely confused him.

MelissaTC
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I am a huge NHL fan. We are season ticket holders for the Canes. My distant second is my hometown team, the NY Rangers. I grew up going to those games.

Definitely a college basketball fan- Go Orangemen!!

I also like the NFL. We are beyond excited that our team, the NY Giants, are headed to the big game again.

I am with Alicia in that I enjoy a baseball game in person (especially my 9 yr old's ;) ) but I hate to watch it on tv.

Not a soccer fan. I dislike college football. I like to play golf but watching it on tv is like watching paint dry. My DH is counting down to the Masters. Lord help me!

LexyLou
01-23-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm a baseball, football and soccer fan.

I could care less about hockey and baseball.

I'm not a hardcore fan in the sense that I know the players on our teams (SF Giants and 49ers and most of the players for Man U) but I don't know the other team's players except for the super popular ones.

But I really do watch and get into the games when it's on for the most part.

mom2binsd
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
I love watching sports, esp hockey, better IRL but still good on tv! DS plays hockey now and there's nothing better than watching him and he loves to sit with me and watch on TV.

Also love the NFL, XH worked for a team and so for 4 years I went to many many games.

Love college football, went to a few National Championships (Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl for Miami)...so much fun!

theriviera
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
I love sports! College football (Go Blue!) is my favorite followed by NFL (go Lions!). Most other sports don't get a lot of love at our house but we will watch playoff games for basketball.

I am in a fantasy football league was actually the commissioner for a number of years.