PDA

View Full Version : birthday party question

AnnieW625
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
My DD1 had been invited to a birthday party at a gymnastics center where her little friend does gymnastics. I told DD1 this and she tells me "she doesn't do gymnastics so she shouldn't have to go". She likes this classmate so it was kind of an odd answer. I would also like her to attend because she is shy and I think she will have fun, plus it might be nice if she tried something else class wise as I am not sure she will continue in ballet. So WWYD? Take your child or not?

Mopey
01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Disclaimer: not a mom until March :)

But I would say something about how it is fun and great to try new things - she likes to get physical at ballet so it might be fun and tell her it would probably mean a lot to her friend to have her there. Just my .02

gatorsmom
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
My DD1 had been invited to a birthday party at a gymnastics center where her little friend does gymnastics. I told DD1 this and she tells me "she doesn't do gymnastics so she shouldn't have to go". She likes this classmate so it was kind of an odd answer. I would also like her to attend because she is shy and I think she will have fun, plus it might be nice if she tried something else class wise as I am not sure she will continue in ballet. So WWYD? Take your child or not?

Well, I think I'd talk to her a little more and ask if she wants to go then why or why not. It's hard to tell what she's thinking. Maybe she is afraid it will be more of a gymnastics class and less like a party. I know that the gymnastic center my kids attended had a foam pit that all the kids could jump into. it was the highlight (and I think main attraction) at the party. Maybe she's afraid she won't know anyone. My DS2 says odd things like this occasionally before we go somewhere public and then he explains his feelings which are completely off the wall. After I explain how the outing will realistically turn out, he seems reassured and more willing to try it. Kids can be hard to read, sometimes.

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm in the "make her go; it'll be fun" camp. Hype up the cake, if nothing else. :)

Fairy
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
I'd hype it and bring her.

boolady
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm in the "make her go; it'll be fun" camp. Hype up the cake, if nothing else. :)

:yeahthat: I'm sure they won't force her to do things she doesn't want to do, and I'd tell her that. Kids get invited to all kinds of parties, and if this girl really is a friend, that's what's important.

ett
01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
:yeahthat: I'm sure they won't force her to do things she doesn't want to do, and I'd tell her that. Kids get invited to all kinds of parties, and if this girl really is a friend, that's what's important.

:yeahthat: DS1 doesn't care for laser tag but has been invited to tons of laser tag parties. I tell him that he's there to help celebrate his friend's birthday and hype up the food and cake.

KpbS
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM

:yeahthat: Gymnastics parties here totally rock! :jammin:

ellies mom
01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm in the "hype it and bring her" camp too. We've had parties at gymnastic places and my child solidly doesn't do gymnastics. They play on the trampolines, they play in the foam pits, they take turns on the little bungie cord jumping thing. They may pull out the parachute. The teacher may have them do a little stretching or manage an obstacle course. It is actually a lot of fun.

wimama
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Another vote for the "Hype it up and bring her". :yeahthat:

But, I would talk to her ahead of time and ask her why she doesn't want to go. My DS is about the same age and I wouldn't take "Why should I go?" question as her meaning she doesn't want to go. She is just asking a question, "Why should I go?" For my son he really does want an answer to the "Why should I go?" or the "Why should I do this?" question.
If I explain why he has to do something, then he is usually all for it. Just sell the party to her.

turtle12
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
:yeahthat: DS1 doesn't care for laser tag but has been invited to tons of laser tag parties. I tell him that he's there to help celebrate his friend's birthday and hype up the food and cake.

question, does he end up playing and enjoying it? after one experience, ds really dislikes laser tag, too, and has not attended a laser tag party since. thanks for sharing your/ds' experience.

WatchingThemGrow
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Do you think it is the fear of the unknown that's causing her to say that? If she hasn't been to a gymnastics place and has no idea what to expect, I can see why she'd be a little disinterested. I mean, when I watch gymnastics on TV, I'm a little (okay a LOT) intimidated.