PDA

View Full Version : Dropping pre-bed/pre-nap nursing sessions?

rin
01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
A few weaning threads have been going around, and I figured I'd throw my question out there. My DD is almost 21 months old, and nurses before bed and naps (so twice a day). She generally asks to nurse first thing in the morning, too, but I can usually distract her so that one isn't so much of a concern. I'm currently 4.5 months pregnant, and I really don't think she's getting much milk anymore, so it's more of a comfort/routine thing.

I have no interest in tandem nursing, and would like to have her weaned long enough before DC2 comes in June that she doesn't remember nursing and feel left out, like she's been denied something that's now being given to DC2. Plus, I would like to have her weaned soonish, since I suspect it's going to start to be uncomfortable for me to hold her in the nursing position before too much longer.

Does anyone have any tips/BTDT in terms of weaning from those last few pre-sleep nursing sessions? Having someone else put her down to sleep isn't an option. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

wendibird22
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I found advice from Dr Jay Gordon (http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html) very helpful. It's written from the perspective of cosleeping but both DDs were in a crib when I weaned them so it was easy to modify for my own situation. Both DDs were weaned at 21mos. I can recall with DD1 that I would tell her I was going to sing Twinkle Twinkle and that when I was done, we'd say bye bye milk. For the first few days I'd sing the song a couple times through. Then I'd slowly start making it shorter and shorter until it was a mere seconds and then bye bye. At that point I started placing DD1 in her crib, w/out nursing and start singing the song. To this day, she's 4.5yo, she still asks me to sing Twinkle Twinkle to her at bedtime.