PDA

View Full Version : Spoutless Sippys

L'sMommy
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Did you transition your toddler or preschooler to a spoutless sippy? How important is this, really? I am trying to transition cold turkey and DS (just turned 3) is protesting that he does not like the spoutless sippys. Not sure why because in preschool he drinks out of a dixie cup with no problem.

catsnkid
01-23-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know what that is. DS hasn't really had a sippy in a long time.. We just stoppped using them.

mikala
01-23-2012, 06:32 PM
We mostly moved to straw and open cups a little around 2. Transition wasn't really a big deal and I just stopped pulling out the old cups for awhile.

As I understand it the issue with the spout sippys is that they put the beverage right against the teeth and can cause tooth decay if used with milk or other non-water beverages.

Could you try a straw cup like a Funtainer with some theme he likes or put some of his favorite stickers on a new straw cup?

AnnieW625
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Oh I know what you are talking about a sippy cup without a leak valve. We never actually used those although we did have some. We just went to a small a juice glass when DD1 was about 2/1/2 or 3, but until she was almost 4 we always used a straw cup or Playtex or Klean Kanteen sippy cup with a valve ESP. when we were out of the house.

L'sMommy
01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Here's what I am talking about. They do have valves.

http://www.diapers.com/p/playtex-lil-gripper-spoutless-cup-21521

Ah, ok, I didn't know the issue was that the spout can cause cavities. I thought the issue was that it causes orthodontic issues. Again, I have not researched this and DS is going to dentist for the first time in a couple of weeks.

The straw cups are a great idea - he has a few of them but I guess he shows a preferance for the spout sippys. I'll get a couple of interesting straw cups to see if he gravitates to those.

ang79
01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
We don't have that exact type, but we do have the Playtex Coolsters, and it looks like the lids are similar (they are like a coffee travel mug but still have the valve). My girls are 3 and 5 and still use them in the car and in the living room. They are great with an open cup at the table or even outside, but I don't trust them with open cups when they are playing in the living room or in the car (and its just easier to throw those in my purse when we are going out, as they always want water when we are out for awhile). I've thought about getting the Thermos kid straw cups, whatever they're called. DH and I have Thermos bottles for when we are out and about and I love them, but I have a few concerns about them for the girls:
1. I'm afraid that they plastic tops would break if they drop them, as they tend to drop the Playtex cups now
2. they would be much heavier for me to carry along in my purse, especially 2 of them!
3. they are much more expensive! I bought the Coolsters for about $3 a piece and they have held up great for several years (I think we first got them when DD1 was 2). They never leak unless the lid isn't screwed on tightly, they can handle being dropped, they are dishwasher safe, and they are a good size for a day out - unless its hot, then I keep an extra Thermos container in the car to refill if needed.

I tried other straw cups (Playtex, Nuby) and they all leaked more than the Coolsters, so that's what I've decided to stick with for now. The girls each started using them around age 2, before that they were using the traditional Playtex sippies. When they get older I'll probably invest in the Thermos straw cups, or maybe the Contigo cups (we do have one of the non-insulated Contigo cups, but the Playtex ones keep drinks colder longer I think).

carolinamama
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I never really worried about it. DS2 still drinks from a sippy at night because he really needs his sippy of water in bed with him from a security standpoint. They don't leak the way other options do. At other times, he uses a Funtainer or open cup. Can't even remember when DS1 stopped using sippy cups for good. I do remember DS1 liking the coolsters because they looked like travel coffee cups - he even called it his coffee.