PDA

View Full Version : What type of light fixture above kitchen table?

Indianamom2
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
We live in a roughly 20 year old house. It's totally informal...not a thing about our house could be considered formal, which is fine by me.

We currently have a 20 year old light fixture/ceiling fan (oak and brass...blech) above the area in our kitchen designated for the kitchen table. Two of the lights seem not to work any more and I need an inexpensive light fixture to replace it with.

Is it just me, or is it weird to have a ceiling fan above the kitchen table? I would prefer just a light fixture of some sort (maybe a casual chandelier style?). Can I do that if there was a ceiling fan/light combo before?

If it helps, we have an almost cherry colored counter-height table (square or rectangle depending on the leaf). What type of fixture would you buy?

hoodlims
01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
We bought our light fixture for our dining room from Overstock.com. it is one long rectangle, no fan. I think a fan in the dining room is weird. It is not a chandelier of any sort either.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/New-Ventura-3-light-Rectangular-Chandelier/4568483/product.html

It actually looks really good in our house. We get a lot of compliments on it. Our house is from 1938, CA beach bungalow style, and it matches the vibe.

We also purchased a few pendants over our island from Rejuvenation.com. They have period style light fixtures and I love their stuff.

Indianamom2
01-23-2012, 08:16 PM
We bought our light fixture for our dining room from Overstock.com. it is one long rectangle, no fan. I think a fan in the dining room is weird. It is not a chandelier of any sort either.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/New-Ventura-3-light-Rectangular-Chandelier/4568483/product.html

It actually looks really good in our house. We get a lot of compliments on it. Our house is from 1938, CA beach bungalow style, and it matches the vibe.

We also purchased a few pendants over our island from Rejuvenation.com. They have period style light fixtures and I love their stuff.

That's really neat. I have even toyed with the idea of a drum light (is that what it's called?) over the table, but I'm terrible with decorating. It's a similar concept, just round instead of rectangular. It helps to see what others use!