PDA

View Full Version : Formal dress

lmintzer
01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
What do you think of this dress? The color that's available in my size is called "stream."

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-tiered-chiffon-gown/3106871?origin=category&resultback=5880#reviewAnchor

LMPC
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I think it's gorgeous, but I would need to try it on IRL. I'd be afraid that it would look a little poofy on my (I'm curvy). I wonder if it's one of those dresses that looks different on willowy women. Not sure of your body type :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Looks like a bridesmaid dress to me. A pretty one though. :)

crl
01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I LOVE that dress. I have seen it before and if I needed such a dress, that one would definitely be on my short list.

Catherine

lowrioh
01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I love, love, love that dress!

DrSally
01-23-2012, 11:09 PM
georgeous. I'd want t o be tall like that model to carry it off.

lmintzer
01-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Event is a "Marti Gras" formal dinner dance. It's a fundraiser. I was at it last year, and the women's attire varied all over the place from simple and classic to sparkle and flash, from short to long. Last year, I wore a sleek, strapless Ann Taylor black floor length gown in silk tafeta. I jazzed it up with a crimson sash.

This would be a bit different for me in that I've never tried anything with as many ruffles. My concern was that there was a little too much going on on top.

I am only 5'2", but it does come in petite. I am roughly a size 6--somewhat curvy--definitely not willowy. I definitely look much better in dresses that have defined waist lines.

I guess I'd either have to order it and try it that way or see if our closest Nordtrom has it in the store (does anyone know if the items on line are typically available in store?).

pinkmomagain
01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I love that manufacturer/designer. Her stuff is extremely flattering to a woman's body. Just wore one of her dresses to an affair a week ago.

The dress you've linked to is pretty and I like the color. For me, it's a little youthful looking...as a 44 yo I don't think it would suit me. But maybe you are younger (and thinner) than I am!

eta: I am curvier too...and I *think* it might be better suited for a long and lanky type of gal...but you never know until you try it on. It is likely in a Nordstrom store for try-on. I found my dress by looking online first and then making a b-line right for the rack when I got to the store.

lmintzer
01-23-2012, 11:12 PM
LOL, I don't know if I qualify as "youthful." I am 39. I wouldn't mind something that makes me look and feel a little younger. : )

ETA: Here is me at last year's event, 1 year younger and 5 lbs. lighter.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/lmintzer/IMG_0160.jpg

DrSally
01-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Love the black w/crimson sash! When i went snopping at Nordstroms for my 20th reunion, i found that they did not necessarily have the same online and store stock.

ett
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Love the dress!

pinkmomagain
01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
You looked great in that black dress!

If I were you, I'd order the dress just to be sure you got your size and then return it to the store if it disappoints. It's gotten alot of great reviews.

lmintzer
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Update: Tried it on at Nordstrom's today. While it was pretty, the top didn't do much for me and had too many ruffles. Tried a few more, and I really liked this one:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna...petite/3193395

Only problem is that even in petite, it was so long that it just touches the floor with 3.5 inch high shoes. I don't think I can stand to wear shoes that high. Because of the complicated nature of the hem, it would cost $85 to hem it!

crl
01-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Update: Tried it on at Nordstrom's today. While it was pretty, the top didn't do much for me and had too many ruffles. Tried a few more, and I really liked this one:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna...petite/3193395

Only problem is that even in petite, it was so long that it just touches the floor with 3.5 inch high shoes. I don't think I can stand to wear shoes that high. Because of the complicated nature of the hem, it would cost $85 to hem it!

Ouch! Pretty dress though.

Catherine

lmintzer
01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Well, I found a local tailor who could do the hem for $60. I can see why it would be a very time-consuming project to hem this dress. I did also find a pair of $20 4" heels that would work with the dress, but after having them on for 5 minutes, I knew I'd be miserable in them for an evening. So I decided to have the dress hemmed. Hopefully, I'll get more than one wearing out of this, as it has turned into quite an expensive purchase!