PDA

View Full Version : Non-fictions suggestions for 7-9 year old?

lilycat88
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for DD. She's 7 and in the 2nd grade. She's reading on the 4th/5th'ish grade level. She just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on her own.

We're looking for some non-fiction options that might hold the attention of a 7 year old girl.

Thanks!

kbud
01-24-2012, 12:10 AM
My just turned 8 dd is in 2nd grade. She is obsessed with non-fiction. She is really into history and social studies. She usually checks out books about the presidents, world atlases, etc. I can't think of many specific titles but she always heads to the non-fiction historical area of the library. There are a few American girl non-fiction fact books she likes. The last one she had was about life during Kirstin's time. She really liked a book I got her about the First Children, children of the Presidents. Right now my dd is really into watching documentaries on Netflix, specifically about the civil war and congress by Ken Burns. I'll see if I can come up with any specific book names.

ellies mom
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
My daughter, who is also in second grade and reading on a 4-5th grade level, specifically recommends this book (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/big-book-of-animals-nathan-hamilton/1018725148?ean=9781848526334&itm=21&usri=big+book+of+animals). When it comes to non-fiction, she really like the big books that have a lot of tidbits of information scattered all over. She tends to read a lot of animal books but really books on Egypt or castles or Mythology are all big hits with her. Those big DK brand books are great.

kbud
01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
My daughter, who is also in second grade and reading on a 4-5th grade level, specifically recommends this book (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/big-book-of-animals-nathan-hamilton/1018725148?ean=9781848526334&itm=21&usri=big+book+of+animals). When it comes to non-fiction, she really like the big books that have a lot of tidbits of information scattered all over. She tends to read a lot of animal books but really books on Egypt or castles or Mythology are all big hits with her. Those big DK brand books are great.

These are exactly the types of books that my dd likes, ones with facts all over them.

Reader
01-25-2012, 11:54 PM
I have a 7 yr old DS that reads on an advanced level. Have you looked at the Childhood of Famous Americans series? These are more historical fiction and not completely accurate biographies (b/c who really knows exactly about Thomas Jefferson's childhood?) but he has worked his way through most of these. We also like the DK biographies series for kids. My DS also likes some of the Usborne non-fiction, like the History of the Ancient World. He also has a Scholastic series of Ancient India, Ancient China, etc. that he liked.

I'd guess you've already read the Little House on the Prairie series, but that's a good one, too. The Magic Treehouse "research guides" that accompany the books would be a quick read (more on the 2nd grade level) but are non-fiction.