PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trick to putting on a duvet cover?

Momit
01-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Seriously, there has to be an easier way. I somehow end up completely inside the cover, stumbling around like a crazy ghost, and I still can't get the insert all the way into the corners of the cover. It kind of just lumps in the middle. Help!

karstmama
01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
here's what i do -

first, do you have either those little corner clips (i got mine at bb&b) or ribbon ties in the corners? very helpful.

grab a corner of the comforter, find the upper inner corner of the duvet. clip or tie. stuff your way across to the other upper corner & tie or clip. on the outside, grab the comforter & duvet at the corners & middle & fluff fluff fluff so the duvet slides down the comforter. clip or tie the bottom corners & button. fluff some more & done.

twowhat?
01-24-2012, 11:11 AM
I flip it partly inside-out, tie the corners, then grab a corner from the outside and hold it with one hand while pulling the duvet down with the other. Alternate sides until it's all done. Then I stand on the bed, grap the corners and middle of the side opposite the opening and shake:)

Sounds similar to what PP describes.

wellyes
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I fold the comforter in half twice, so that it is 1/4 its original size. The I stick it in the cover, pinch the edges so that it opens up to 1/2 its size, then FLOOOOOSH it down so that it fills the whole cover.

wendibird22
01-24-2012, 11:28 AM
When I had one I would scrunch up the duvet so that I could easily reach the far corners. I would take the comforter and place the two far corners into the two far corners of the duvet. Then holding one corner at I time I'd pull that side of the cover down a bit, then do the same to the other side, and repeat until the duvet is unscrunched and at the bottom of the comforter. I guess I approached it much like I do with pillows...get the far corners tucked firmly into the case corners first.

Simon
01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Like most Pp, I take the top/inner most corners of duvet and cover and line them up (I just bunch up the cover to reach so far up with my arms.). I do one side at a time and lay one side on the bed while I do the other.

Next, I climb up onto the bed, or go up a few stairs in the stairwell and holding the two top corners (holding both the duvet and cover) I shake the cover down over the duvet. This just takes 10 seconds or so. Then I button/close the bottom of the set and throw it on the bed.

Mopey
01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
The hubby and I lay the duvet down, with the cover inside out on top. Use the clips at all corners and in the middle of both sides and bottom (so 7 clips total). Then reach one arm into the cover down to the bottom and grab the corner clip with cover and duvet. Pull up and right side out the whole thing into one flat, fluffed piece.

Hope that explanation is clear. Those clips are lifesavers!!

indigo99
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
I saw this question on Martha Stewart once, and they did something similar to what pp did by putting the two together with the cover inside out. Then they flipped it right side out. I was still a bit confused even after watching them do it though. Most of our covers have little holes in the top two corners so DH holds the duvet inside those two corners while I pull the cover down and stuff the rest inside. We use two twin size on our bed instead of one larger one though. Otherwise, DH would steal my blanket all night.

eagle
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
1) turn the duvet cover inside out. lay it flat on your bed.

2) place your duvet on top of it, oriented so that the sides match the duvet cover.

3) secure your duvet to the duvet cover using clips or tying the corners if you have the ties.

4) go to the edge opposite the open end of the duvet cover. beginning at that opposite edge, roll up the duvet cover along with the duvet. the DUVET COVER SHOULD BE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE ROLL, covering up the duvet. you should have a long skinny (but puffy) rolled up cylinder of a thing when you are finished rolling up. the duvet cover should only be showing and it should be showing the wrong side.

5) keeping the duvet cover/duvet roll rolled up, at the opening of the duvet cover, pull the outside edge of the cover around the roll so that the right side of the duvet cover is out. unroll the rest, pulling on the open edge of the cover and the duvet. this is hard to explain, but VERY easy.

i have a king sized duvet cover and changing the cover by myself is easy and neat this way.

LUCKILY theres a video that clearly explains that weird step 5. here ya go! they call the roll a "magic burrito". haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okrhaW5PuAU

hoodlims
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Inside out! My mother taught me this one and I have since passed it onto DH (who always puts it on and used to just wiggle it in). All you have to do once you have the top two corners grabbed is flip and shake, shake, shake!