PDA

View Full Version : bday party guest etiquette question

boolady
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
DD was invited to the birthday party of a friend of mine's daughter. As background, this friend and I were very close about 10 years ago, when DH and I moved and we both had kids, didn't see each other as much, but have reconnected as our DDs ended up in the same ballet class, which is great.

The party is at a very nice children's museum in the city and the package includes all day passes for all invitees. DD and I have been to the museum; DH has not. He wouldn't want to take her to the party alone as our connection to the birthday girl is primarily, though not entirely, through me; however, he'd love to stay and explore the museum with DD after the party.

Is it really tacky if we both go? How would you do this? Would you have me take her to the party and him meet us after and pay admission to stay and play? I looked at the museum's website, and whether or not DH could come as part of the party package depends on which package she chose, and I would not feel comfortable asking her if he is included, I don't think. I have no idea how to go about this. Do you think I should just forget it and take DD by myself? I hate to have an entire Saturday at a great, interactive museum and DH not be able to come along, but I am mindful that this is someone else's celebration, not DD's.

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
I say you both go and 1 just pays admission when you arrive.

mommylamb
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
I think I'd just ask her if other families are coming with both parents or just 1 and see what she says. If it's just 1, I'd just have your DH meet you after the party and plan on staying longer. I wouldn't be offended if someone asked me that. Sounds like a fun party.

Mopey
01-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I think your idea for him to meet you at the end of the party is great. Everyone gets to enjoy and no toes are stepped on (plus you get a little QT with your old friend).

Sounds like it will be a fun day! Maybe you can pick a great place nearby for an early dinner and make it a day of spoiling your family with fun & togetherness :)

rolypoly27
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I say you both go and 1 just pays admission when you arrive.

:yeahthat:

ABO Mama
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I would have DH pay admission when he arrives a little bit later (maybe he can sit and enjoy a coffee by himself).

Clarity
01-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I think it would be strange to invite a child to a party and NOT expect both parents to potentially attend. I would simply just kindly let your friend know that dh and you will both be attending and that he can pay for his admission if that's not part of the package.

AngB
01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I agree that it's fine for him to come along to the party with you and DD, and just pay his own admission if it isn't included.