PDA

View Full Version : If you've flown recently- can you give me the rundown? (Esp w/ kids)

todzwife
01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
I haven't flown in 5 years. We are taking a trip in 6 weeks, and I'm wondering how things are working now.

Shoes off for everyone? I read somewhere kids under 12 don't have to anymore? Are we subject to a pat down? What about the kids?
Do I need to take the toddler out of the carrier on my back and let her walk through alone?

What's the rules on bringing say, juice boxes through security for a 6 and 8 year old (we are flying at lunch time and was going to pack them each a lunch box w/ juice box)

What about for the toddler?

Does applesauce count as a liquid? (again, for the lunches)

KHF
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
We just flew with our kids for the first time in December. (They were 6 and almost 3.) If they are able to walk through the metal detector, they need to do so by themselves, I believe. The agents told me (too late) that the kids didn't need to take off their shoes.

We solved the whole, will it or won't it pass through security by not bringing any juice boxes or snacks with us. We just bought at the airport. We did bring an empty sippy cup for each child and filled it with bottled water once we passed through security.

The TSA's website has a great FAQ on travelling with children. We referred to it extensively before we left. Here is their index of FAQs (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm).

wellyes
01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
We were told to take shoes off, even the 1.5 year old.

The toddler was allowed to bring milk and water. One airport 'tested' the milk (cow's milk), the other just let it pass through. I doubt a school-aged child can bring a juice box through, but there should be places past the security gate that sell beverages.

lizzywednesday
01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
The new regulations on the TSA's website say kids under 12 can keep their shoes on. There should be signs posted in the airport telling you so as well. (This was a relief for us, because once our DD gets her shoes off, she's very stubborn about putting them back on.)

If children can walk, they have to go through the metal detector on their own; one airport let me carry my DD through while she was squirmy at the return-trip airport, so I let her walk through.

Juice boxes won't be allowed, but packed sandwiches probably will. (I might avoid PB&J because you never know whether the TSA agent will decide that jelly is a dangerous substance. Because, you know, icing is a problem on cupcakes.)

We brought our DD's empty straw cup & filled it with bottled water once we'd cleared TSA.

JBaxter
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
We flew in November.

Under 12 does NOT have to take their shoes off.

Toddlers can be carried through and you dont have to do the xray machine thing Nathan (8) got a big kick out of it.

You may be able to take a couple juice boxes through if you have a toddler but not the older kids I take organic pear and claim Nathan's food allergy but honestly next trip I'll just grab a bottle of apple juice after security not a huge deal. The plane will also have apple and usually orange juice.

I take the go go squeeze apple sauce they may consider it a liquid but just put it in a zip lock and put it in the bin. I take those almost every trip because they are not messy.

PB&J goes through with no problems.

Put your tylonel/motrin in your checked bags or they have to open it and test it. They have never done that with the gogo squeeze applesauce ( all of which I claimed was for Jack)

I think I've flew 3x with the kids last year PM me if you want

onyx8
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I fly every few months with my 2 year old. You can bring any liquid you want through if it is for the child - just take it out of your bag and put it in the trays at the security check point. They typically do not make my toddler walk through the detector himself, I always carry him and they have never asked if he can walk or not.

The kids are not required to take off their shoes - however my 2yo wants to do everything mommy and daddy do, so of course he takes his shoes off.

TamiRuns
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Put your tylonel/motrin in your checked bags or they have to open it and test it.

So do they check all meds? I was planning on having some dramamine in case the boys need it and ativan for me (only way I can fly!). Will they test these?

Also, DS1 has asthma so we'll have to keep his controller and albuterol with us. This will be ok, yes?

I'm thinking the only liquid (gel) that any of us will carry on is hand sanitizer....

JBaxter
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
liquids they do ... or they did ours. I had liquid motrin and amoxicillin in a zip lock bag they sat them in some little machine thing. Was no biggy.

TamiRuns
01-24-2012, 03:56 PM
liquids they do ... or they did ours. I had liquid motrin and amoxicillin in a zip lock bag they sat them in some little machine thing. Was no biggy.

Okay...I was thinking tablets, not liquids. Thanks!

Giantbear
01-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I just flew with my dd, 19 months. They checked the bottles ( i told them it was special vitamin water) but did not check the motrin i had, just put the bottle bag in a separate bin and tell them before it goes through xray. I was also not required to take her shoes off and i carried her through the regular xray machine, they did not require us to go through the special machine. Just takes a bunch of time, so give yourself extra time for security. I was lucky, security was pretty empty both flights, so i had 5 agents each time helping me.

lizzywednesday
01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I just flew with my dd, 19 months. They checked the bottles ( i told them it was special vitamin water) but did not check the motrin i had, just put the bottle bag in a separate bin and tell them before it goes through xray. I was also not required to take her shoes off and i carried her through the regular xray machine, they did not require us to go through the special machine. Just takes a bunch of time, so give yourself extra time for security. I was lucky, security was pretty empty both flights, so i had 5 agents each time helping me.

It helps to go through the designated "family" lane, too. They're supposed to be more used to dealing with people who fly infrequently and families.

TamiRuns
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
It helps to go through the designated "family" lane, too. They're supposed to be more used to dealing with people who fly infrequently and families.

Didn't know there was such a thing....will look for it for sure.

Giantbear
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
there is a designated family lane?? :banghead: sure would have been nice to have known that last year!!

KLD313
01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I think a lot of it depends on the agent, the airport and the time of day. We flew from a small airport to Orlando international with an 11 mo old. I told them I had formula and food pouches and they could care less, one agent said yeah, and you have a baby. They checked nothing. On the way home, the body scanners weren't even running so that wasn't an issue and they still didn't check anything. I didn't have to pull out my bag of liquids at either airport.

I did get stopped for a random security check in Orlando. I was holding the baby so it kind of sucked standing there waiting to get that paper rubbed on my hand but other than that it was easy.

Momit
01-24-2012, 06:32 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Not all airports have them but many do. It's a small sign so can be easy to miss.

We've flown a bunch with DS, now 3.5. He has always had to take off his shoes, even when he was wearing Robeez and I was carrying him!

They are ok with milk for babies and little kids (which I like to bring since planes don't always have it). It does not have to be 3 oz. Or less. I don't think juice etc. would be allowed. Bring an empty water bottle.

They are still doing the 3 oz. Liquids in a quart size Ziplock. All containers must be 3 oz. Or less (maybe 4 oz. For contact solution?). Even if an 8 oz. Bottle has 6 drops of liquid you can't take it. Toothpaste is a liquid, deodorant is not. I always bring Burts Bees cuticle cream because it doesn't count against my liquids!