PDA

View Full Version : Frumpy vs. Cute

kaitlyns.mom
01-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I just dropped DD off at school and as I was walking away, I thought, "Wow. I really look frumpy today."

So... What makes the difference for you between feeling frumpy and feeling cute or well put together? Or what makes you think other moms look frumpy or cute?

twowhat?
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
I think it comes down to fit. I'm feeling frumpy today because the cords I'm wearing are too big and I keep having to hitch them up, even though the individual pieces I'm wearing aren't "frumpy" (Jcrew trouser cords, J Crew liberty fabric shirt, and chunky cardigan).

If I see a mom in a well-fitting t-shirt and sweat pants, I don't think it looks frumpy. :shrug:

AnnieW625
01-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I think being fit and wearing clothes that fit properly helps avoid being frumpy. We all have our moments though so don't worry about it.

SkyrMommy
01-24-2012, 02:18 PM
For me it's the fit and tailoring of the clothes. I could be going through one of my out of shape moments feeling quite blah, but if I put on a pair of slacks that fit just right with a great top that shows off just the right curves... I feel great.

maestramommy
01-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Agree that fit has a lot to do with it. I wear sweats or yoga pants, and Ts 80% of the time. But you can look cute in them if they fit well and the colors go. Usually frumpy comes from either too loose or too tight. Hairstyle can help or hamper too.

I've everywhere on the spectrum, but currently am somewhere in the middle:tongue5:

arivecchi
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't feel frumpy if I feel put together and am wearing nice shoes and clothes and my hair looks decent. :)

I aim for a 80 cute/20 frumpy ratio. ;)

luckytwenty
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
If I avoid elastic-waisted clothes and only keep clothes in my closet that are more than a few years old if they are *true* classic (I have one Tahari business suit and some evening/cocktail clothes and everything else is pretty new), I feel pretty good about how I'm dressed.

cvanbrunt
01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Fit mostly. I think fabric and some level of finish (accessories, shoes, hair/make-up) can help.

ourbabygirl
01-24-2012, 02:36 PM
I always feel frumpy if I haven't gotten a shower yet and so my hair is still wonky from sleeping on it (I have bangs, so I really need to start fresh with clean, wet hair each day). Also no make up for me = frumpy (I really do need it, especially foundation and eye make-up). :)

Jo..
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I almost always (98% of the time) look frumpy. I wear clothes that are too big because they are comfortable. My hair is always a frizzy mess. I rarely wear any make-up.

On date night, when I do manage to pull myself together and wear nice clothes, tame my mass of wild hair, and slap some lipstick on, I feel positively glamorous. I feel SO good about myself that I am sure every male within 50 yards wants me. :ROTFLMAO:

boolady
01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I feel frumpy when my style level is all out of whack; meaning, as long as my top, bottom and shoes are all relatively neat and of the same level of dressiness, everything's fine. It's the very rare occasion that I run out of the house in my work clothes to pick up takeout having thrown on Merrells because they were by the back door that I feel like a goof. It's like wearing a dress coat over yoga pants or something. Then I just look like I don't know what I'm doing. But if I'm neat and it's clear I'm intentionally dressed the way I am, I'm fine.

Jo..
01-24-2012, 02:59 PM
..in my work clothes to pick up takeout having thrown on Merrells because they were by the back door that I feel like a goof.

Oh. Well then, I guess my current footwear choice (bright orange paint-spattered Crocs) might have been a poor one.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/crocs.jpg

boolady
01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Oh. Well then, I guess my current footwear choice (bright orange paint-spattered Crocs) might have been a poor one.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/crocs.jpg

They're a perfectly fine choice unless you're in a work suit with a silk blouse, or something. That's when I feel like an idiot (though I'll do it anyway, if the timely pickup of takeout is on the line).

Jo..
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I am wearing a fairly nice red top from Ann Taylor, some comfy black yoga-type pants (with a bleach stain and a dog hair on the legs)...I will change shoes before I leave the house. I might change my pants too if I am feeling really ambitious.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/photo28.jpg

A few weeks ago another Mommy and I were comparing notes about how awful we looked at Kindergarten pick-up. I was wearing the Crocs pictured above (ashamed).

She said to me, "Hey! At least we are both wearing bras"! and I felt a lot better.

TwinFoxes
01-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Fit and cleanliness are key. If I head out feeling cute, and I look down and see random twin ickiness on me, I instantly feel frumpy. My frumpy to cute ratio went down when I finally through out a pair of ill-fitting jeans I had when I first got out of my maternity clothes. They were my emergency jeans, but you know, there's no emergency that catastrophic! ;)

meggswife
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Jo, you're cracking me up!

I seriously hardly ever concern myself with how I look, though perhaps I should. My clothes are clean and pressed, they match well (both color and style), my hair is neat, and sometimes I even use mascara! ;) I think a lot of feeling frumpy comes from how you're feeling inside. I'm generally pretty confidant, but if I'm having a blue day it spills over onto how I view myself. Of course how my children dress... that is another matter. :)

wendibird22
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I agree with fit. But I also think finish is important...hair, makeup (if you wear it), accessories. A dumpy, out of style mom outfit can go from drab to fab with the right shoes and accessories. Alas, this sounds good on paper but in my reality, I feel frumpy at least once a week...and that's not counting the weekend when no one sees me outside the house!

Jo..
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
My clothes are clean and pressed, they match well (both color and style), my hair is neat, and sometimes I even use mascara!

Bitch. :hysterical:

ecofem
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Bitch. :hysterical:

Jo, you never cease to make me laugh!

edurnemk
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
I feel cute if the clothes fit well, my hair is decent (either blown dry or a nice pony tail), and I'm wearing at least mascara. Oh! and earrings!

If any of those elements are missing I feel frumpy.