PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- have (my) party or reschedule?

wolverine2
01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
So, my 40th birthday party is this weekend. I'm throwing my own party, because DH is just not good at that kind of thing. It's at my brother's house, and everyone is getting babysitters- no kids allowed.

DH called today and he just got offered some work on that night. He is a freelancer in the arts, and when someone calls you, you have to say yes or you might not get called again. And the organization that called him is the best one around, and you just don't say no. Him saying no is not an option.

So, do I have the party anyway? Or try to reschedule? My worry with rescheduling is that people are hiring babysitters (already have) and I feel like it's disrespectful to cancel and ask them to hire another babysitter another time. But it will also be terrible to have my party without DH!! Thoughts?

tlw
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Could you husband make an appearance at some point in the evening, either at the beginning to greet guests and offer a toast or closer to the end? If these are your closest friends, they will understand that your DH needs to take the job. Maybe the two of you can have a special dinner another time to celebrate together. It sounds like the nature of his work could have this occur again, so you'd likely be in the same situation if you were to reschedule. I'd stick with the party, if your DH is ok with it.

TwinFoxes
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't cancel. The chances of people being free, and being able to line up childcare any time soon are probably not very good. I do feel badly for you that your DH won't be at the party. :(

Happy birthday!!!

twowhat?
01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Could you husband make an appearance at some point in the evening, either at the beginning to greet guests and offer a toast or closer to the end? If these are your closest friends, they will understand that your DH needs to take the job. Maybe the two of you can have a special dinner another time to celebrate together. It sounds like the nature of his work could have this occur again, so you'd likely be in the same situation if you were to reschedule. I'd stick with the party, if your DH is ok with it.

:yeahthat: and happy birthday!

crl
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Have your party. I'm sorry! Happy Birthday!

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
oh that stinks. but i agree with PP, i definitely wouldn't cancel bc of the sitter issue and plus, as someone else mentioned, the same thing could happen again (work suddenly popping up the day of the party).

i like the idea of having your DH be there for part of it (if possible), and then you two can go out or something on your own later.

happy birthday!!

cdlamis
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't cancel. The chances of people being free, and being able to line up childcare any time soon are probably not very good. I do feel badly for you that your DH won't be at the party. :(

Happy birthday!!!

:yeahthat: Neither option sounds ideal (sorry!) but keeping the party date sounds best.

mommylamb
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
That timing stinks! But I agree with the others that you shouldn't cancel. Hopefully your DH can come for a small part of it.

Happy birthday!

wolverine2
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes, I do think I'll go ahead anyway because the same thing could happen again. Now I have to be even lamer and can't even pretend that DH is throwing me a party. DH won't be able to make an appearance b/c he'll get out of work around 10:30pm and I was planning on the party being over then because people are getting sitters (and 'cause we're old!) But I think we will have an after-party at our house, as there are a few other people I would have wanted to come but are also working that night until 10:30 or so.

Giantbear
01-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I would tell my wife to have the party, no use killing the event on account of my work.