PDA

View Full Version : face book is making some changes-

chozen
01-24-2012, 05:02 PM
just read this on my yahoo home page, everyone will now get the timeline profile page, you no longer have a choice. they are giving every one until jan.31 to remove any old post.

maestramommy
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
What do you mean remove any old posts?

minnie-zb
01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Here's a link to the article

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/facebook-timeline-mandatory-rollout-7-days-scour-past-185456598.html

chozen
01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
What do you mean remove any old posts?

your personal front pg. use to showcase most recent post with this new change your front pg. will show posts from mnths or yrs. past. visitors can now get a glimpse of your entire social network .

maestramommy
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
What a pita. Luckily I'm a fairly recent joiner, so there's isn't really anything I want to disappear or hide. Still, *I* don't necessarily want to see all of my old stuff. Sheesh.

AngB
01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I went back and deleted and hid and made private all of the stuff I wanted to (sheesh from back to 2007), and it automatically made me get the timeline after that I think (or maybe I accidentally changed it when I selected which picture I wanted as my "cover" or whatever.) It is a PITA and I don't really especially love the new format.

BUT,

I have a "friend" who keeps whining about how much she hates all of the profiles with timeline and blah blah blah, making thinly veiled hints that she wishes they would change it back (which I don't think is even an option), I am going to laugh when she finds this out (or it will be even better if she doesn't get the memo and it just suddenly changes on her, since she has whined about hating it at least 5 or so times.)

turtle12
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I went back and deleted and hid and made private all of the stuff I wanted to (sheesh from back to 2007), and it automatically made me get the timeline after that I think (or maybe I accidentally changed it when I selected which picture I wanted as my "cover" or whatever.) It is a PITA and I don't really especially love the new format.

How did you do this? Did you delete the posts, or did you make them only available to you for viewing? Thanks.

Jo..
01-24-2012, 08:49 PM
I am so sick of keeping up with Facebook and their changes. GRRRRR (shakes fist).

calv
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
how do you edit your own stuff? Or even see it back to when you first opened your FB account? when you click on the year, you can see it for a split second like something in 2008 but can't do much w/it because it scrolls to todays date. WTH/!?!

amldaley
01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I am so sick of keeping up with Facebook and their changes. GRRRRR (shakes fist).

ME, TOO! And after reading last year that the fastest growing segment of FB users are people 35 and over, I would think they would realize that us "old folks" don't like to constantly monkey with technology.

One more reason I would love to just go off the grid all together...but I would miss you all too much :love-retry:

edurnemk
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
I DO NOT have time for this. I seriously cannot invest the time to review my FB activity from 2007 until today, I have more important things to do. I'm finding FB so annoying, with them making changes every 3 months, and now this, it makes me want to close my account.

calv
01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
and what exactly does it mean to 'hide from timeline'

KLD313
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I DO NOT have time for this. I seriously cannot invest the time to review my FB activity from 2007 until today, I have more important things to do. I'm finding FB so annoying, with them making changes every 3 months, and now this, it makes me want to close my account.

I'm with you. Why can't they leave well enough alone?

edurnemk
01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm with you. Why can't they leave well enough alone?

Let's orchestrate a mass migration to Google+! Who's with me? :ROTFLMAO:

AngB
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
How did you do this? Did you delete the posts, or did you make them only available to you for viewing? Thanks.

I did both. When you click on the post/message, click on the pencil, then it lets you delete or hide. Luckily I wasn't especially active in the early FB years and knew the certain times when I had stuff that I really wanted to delete.

BeccaB.
01-24-2012, 11:14 PM
My DH hates facebook due to their lack of privacy and generally looks for any reason to tell me I should just be on Google+. Not looking forward to him finding out about this one.

ECMom
01-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Can someone explain why you would want to delete or hide things? Can't your friends keep paging back if they want & see it anyway?

Uno-Mom
01-24-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure I understand the issue...those old statuses were always there and accessible if someone wanted to click back through the years on your page. The only difference is that it's much easier now. Unless I'm missing something?

I live the change because now it's much easier to pull up and save old statuses. Like a lot of people, I don't journal but I did do regular status updates throughout my pregnancy and Sprog's early days. It means a lot to be able to easily save all those notes. This is the first place I've seen people annoyed vs pleased about that change-all my friends are pleased.

But I've always posted with the idea in mind that everyone everywhere might see it, so maybe i am missing something...?

AngB
01-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Can someone explain why you would want to delete or hide things? Can't your friends keep paging back if they want & see it anyway?

If you've deleted it or hid it, then no. I had an AWFUL job back in 2009 and vented about it a lot- so I went back and deleted a lot of that, things like that which I probably shouldn't have posted anyway but now with the benefit of extra maturity and hindsight, I don't want on there anymore for someone to easily find. Technically, they have been on there all along, but it will be easier for people to find since it's sorted into year and month and condensed.

Sorry if that's not explaining it well, but with "old" facebook, if someone wants to go back to September 2009 (say you are applying for a job and they want to see what you said about your old job and for argument's sake your privacy settings aren't what they should be..), with the new timeline they can just go to 2009 and Sept. and see it in a few seconds. With old facebook, they'd manually have to scroll through 2 + years of wall posts including 8 million "happy birthdays", etc. etc....

SkyrMommy
01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I just spent the evening since DD went to bed, updating, reorganizing lists and sorting through old posts. I kind of enjoyed it and think that I have everything locked down and my privacy settings well set. I like some of the new sizes of the photos and am ok with Timeline.

Not what I had planned for tonight, but meh... I enjoyed going through photos and old posts.

kaitlyns.mom
01-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Will we be able to delete these things after timeline becomes mandatory? That's what I want to know. Like is this our last chance to remove those posts?

AngB
01-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Will we be able to delete these things after timeline becomes mandatory? That's what I want to know. Like is this our last chance to remove those posts?

Yes, you can delete things at any time, it's just that once it switches over it will be easier for people to look back maybe before you deleted what you wanted.

TwinFoxes
01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm with the minority here. I always assumed anything on my wall might be seen by the world. I leave the SIL complaints for here. ;) I didn't even bother going through mine when I changed it to Timeline.

momm
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I too went back and deleted all of my old posts .. luckily there weren't many.

I just wish there was an easy way to delete all comments/ posts I've made on other people's walls or photos. Things that struck me as witty or hilarious months ago could be cringe-worthy now :D

mommylamb
01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
I didn't go back through mine either, as I'm pretty good about not posting anything I wouldn't want anyone to see. The thing that bugged me though was that, even though I'm careful, I still keep a "work colleague" list of people who have friended me, but who I do not want to see my posts (because really, they just don't need to know I went to soccer class with DS on Saturday morning, or whatever). Everyone on that list was set so that they couldn't see any of my posts. Then they totally changed the way privacy settings work, and suddenly someone on my work colleague list commented on my status one day, right around the time that people were first able to switch to timeline. It really drives me nuts when they mess with the privacy settings once you've set them.

JustMe
01-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Is Google + better for privacy issues or is it just that not as many people use it? I don't know much about Google +, but have never felt right about facebook (we have some confounding privacy issues though)

pinkmomagain
01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm with the minority here. I always assumed anything on my wall might be seen by the world. I leave the SIL complaints for here. ;) I didn't even bother going through mine when I changed it to Timeline.

This is me exactly.