PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Bite with Possible Skin Breakage

rachelh
01-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Need some quick advice.

When I got home from work today, sitter told me that when they were out playing at a friend's house today, friend's 1 1/2 year old was biting and bit DD. She really just mentioned it in passing - basically just saying he was making trouble. Well after sitter went home, I looked at DDs stomach and saw some marks and the skin is just barely broken. It does not look like a bite mark but is definetely possible because there are two small slightly redder areas very close to each other that can be the front teeth marks. Under that theres a small little line that looks like a scrape so I am really not sure the marks are actually from the bite. I really have no idea what it is - if I just saw it without mention of the bite I would not think twice about it. I called sitter to find out exactly what happened and she said when DD told her she was bitten, she showed her that it was more on her side and not on her stomach and sitter did not lift her shirt and actually look at it.:6: She also said DD was not crying. FWIW, DD insists that the area where she has marks is in fact where she was bitten.
Does this require a call/visit to the pediatrician? I love our pediatrician but he has really horrible office hours and I also feel like I kind of live there.

infomama
01-24-2012, 08:18 PM
No, I wouldn't call tonight. Just wash it up..maybe a little triple antibiotic and call in the morning to get some advice. Watch it, of course for signs of infections (redness/swelling, etc). I may ask the sitter to tell me any pertinent information bout the other kid (illness, etc. )

rachelh
01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
No, I wouldn't call tonight. Just wash it up..maybe a little triple antibiotic and call in the morning to get some advice. Watch it, of course for signs of infections (redness/swelling, etc). I may ask the sitter to tell me any pertinent information bout the other kid (illness, etc. )

We actually are good friends with the childs parents so I know there are no issues with illness or anything of that nature.

infomama
01-24-2012, 08:27 PM
We actually are good friends with the childs parents so I know there are no issues with illness or anything of that nature.
That's good.

elephantmeg
01-24-2012, 10:14 PM
wash it, put neosporin on it and call it a day.

Melaine
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
wash it, put neosporin on it and call it a day.

:yeahthat: Unless it starts looking ugly I wouldn't worry at all.

wildfire
01-25-2012, 01:03 PM
We took DD2 in for a bite that broke the skin that she got at daycare. They gave us bacitracin (I think - DH actually went while I stayed home with DD1) and sent us home. I think there was a reason that they gave us that instead of neosporin (spectrum of coverage?). But it's something you can get OTC.

kwc
01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
We took DD2 in for a bite that broke the skin that she got at daycare. They gave us bacitracin (I think - DH actually went while I stayed home with DD1) and sent us home. I think there was a reason that they gave us that instead of neosporin (spectrum of coverage?). But it's something you can get OTC.

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic (neomycin, bacitracin, polymyxin B) but many people have allergies to neomycin, so most doctor's offices use/ recommend just bacitracin or bacitracin/ polymyxin (double antibiotic or Polysporin).

OP, sounds like a very minimal skin break, I wouldn't really worry. If there was crush/ puncture wound with some penetration, she would an oral antibiotic to cover anaerobic oral bacteria. But a toddler may also have fewer anaerobes in their mouth than we dirty adults do, anyway.

Watch for signs of localized swelling/ drainage... if those happen, get checked out ASAP.

Good luck!