PDA

View Full Version : I am a bad mother...I punished my toddler for misbehaving....

foodiezen
01-24-2012, 11:58 PM
but it turns out he was sick! He's been misbehaving for the past 1-2 days....and he developed a fever tonight! --Katherine

lalasmama
01-25-2012, 12:04 AM
:hug:

This has happened multiple times at our house. Somehow, DD's first sign of sickness is being a stinker, and I never realize the sick-stinker vs the testing-mom's-buttons stinker until the "typical" symptoms show up.

eagle
01-25-2012, 12:55 AM
both of you, go to your rooms!

Uno-Mom
01-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Awwww. I think everybody's btdt at some point!

I know this probably wasn't the point of your post but it made me think a little just now. It occurs to me that dh and I don't let firmness or boundaries slide even when we know Sprog is sick. I'm not saying we're harsh with her, I think we're always pretty gentle (we lucked out with a very easy-going toddler at this point,) but we keep the same boundaries for her. She's still learning cause and effect, what behaviors get desired responses, when she's ill. I think we have to stay predictable.

We do reduce stress and set her up for fun, relaxing non-challenging activities, though.

Well anyway - I hope everybody feels better in your home real soon!

niccig
01-25-2012, 01:06 AM
:hug:

This has happened multiple times at our house. Somehow, DD's first sign of sickness is being a stinker, and I never realize the sick-stinker vs the testing-mom's-buttons stinker until the "typical" symptoms show up.

:yeahthat: I did this last night. Didn't realise he wasn't well until he refused dessert, which he never does. Ooops.

elektra
01-25-2012, 01:55 AM
It's happened here too, and I always feel bad after. I think it's no biggie in the long run. Just give him some extra hugs. :)

mikala
01-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Don't worry, it happens to everyone. We had the mother of all tantrums one day and a couple timeouts in I was trying to figure out what made my child morph into a screeching, clawing, biting mess so quickly. I thought to check his mouth. Yep, brand new molar cutting through. Then I thought to check his temp. Over 102. And then he refused his favorite snack. My screeching mess was soon cuddled up on my lap staring aimlessly out the window while he battled a virus.

amldaley
01-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I punished DD and went through a month of massive blow up fights over shoes and her refusal to wear ANY of the new shoes I bought her...we went through something like 5 pairs...she would only wear one particular pair her grandmother bought her....until I took her to the shoe store and I realized she was an entire size bigger and she refused to wear all those shoes as they were too small!!!!!!!!!!!!

She would sob and cry when I would try to make her wear them. And I punished her. :duh:

(She went through a weird growth spurt and skipped an entire size of shoe from 7.5 to 8.5 and almost 9).

Super Bad Momma Hugs to you...as pp's have said...we have all been there at one time or another. Give your LO lots of love and popsicles and all will be forgiven. :grouphug:

MoJo
01-25-2012, 07:32 AM
BTDT several times, to the point that whenever she is acting unusually bad, I suspect pain or illness. But like a PP said. . . pain or feeling ill is not an excuse to misbehave, although I do try to offer extra positive attention and affection.

Hope your LO feels better soon!