PDA

View Full Version : good or bad idea *UPDATE in OP*

lil_acorn
01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
UPDATE: my 11 lb pork shoulder was put in the slow cooker whole, uncut & bone in on low overnight (~11 hours). Dry rub on for 1 day, then 12 oz of beer into the pot and turned on low. It came out fabulous! So yummy - I used a fat separator to keep all the juices and then poured back >1/2 the liquid to keep it moist. BBQ sauce separate but the juices were so flavorful - a beautiful rich brown color (from the stout and the spices). So good!!! Thanks for all the help and feedback!

---------------------------

pork (shoulder) in slow cooker with beer and bbq sauce to make pulled pork sandwiches

I usually do apple cider vinegar, but feeling adventurous.

And is there any risk of leavign meat in there for too long? It's 11+ lbs so I was goign to give it 12 hours on low..

lhafer
01-25-2012, 10:36 AM
When I do pulled pork, I use ginger ale or some other soda, and slice up onions, but I bet beer would be good. I add the BBQ sauce once the meat is done.

snowbunnies300
01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I know that my Taste of Home recipes always mention to cut large roasts in half. So if it is over 3-4 lbs I would cut it. I would probably cut your 11lb in three parts. That way the roast is getting cooked at an even temp. There is a risk of leaving a large roast whole and the middle part not getting to the same temp as the rest of the roast and bateria. Safe side to is cut in large chunks.

lil_acorn
01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I know that my Taste of Home recipes always mention to cut large roasts in half. So if it is over 3-4 lbs I would cut it. I would probably cut your 11lb in three parts. That way the roast is getting cooked at an even temp. There is a risk of leaving a large roast whole and the middle part not getting to the same temp as the rest of the roast and bateria. Safe side to is cut in large chunks.

it's got a huge bone in it and already marinating in a dry rub...shoudl I just hack off some pieces off the bone & leave the bone in the pot to cook along for more flavor?

boolady
01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I just did a 9 lb. pork shoulder on the bone in the crockpot on Saturday and didn't cut it into pieces. The entire thing was cooked to the point that it fell off the bone-- it was completely well-done. Although I'm sure it's not a bad idea, I've never cut one at all and never had a problem...I cook it for so long that you can tell it's fork tender down to the bone.

lil_acorn
01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I just did a 9 lb. pork shoulder on the bone in the crockpot on Saturday and didn't cut it into pieces. The entire thing was cooked to the point that it fell off the bone-- it was completely well-done. Although I'm sure it's not a bad idea, I've never cut one at all and never had a problem...I cook it for so long that you can tell it's fork tender down to the bone.

how long did it take (lo/hi)? And what liquid did you use for cooking?

boolady
01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
how long did it take (lo/hi)? And what liquid did you use for cooking?

I did it for about 8 hours, though I think it would have been done before then, but I like it to be really soft. I use a few cups of water, per this recipe. I doubled all of the spices except salt, which I did 1.5 times, following this recipe, which we all love in my house. So really, there was moisture from the pureed onions in the rub, and some from the water. It doesn't need a whole lot of water, especially in the crock pot, because it retains all of the moisture. I would probably add 1 1/2 to 2 cups, max, depending on how much liquid you want at the end to put over/mix into the meat.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/08/spicy-shredded-pork/

ETA: I'd do it on high, so that it comes up to temperature faster. A crockpot on high cooks at about 200 degrees, and when I make this recipe in the oven, it cooks at 300. I'd do it on high, and when you get to 8 hours or so, stick a fork in it and see if it's coming apart or seems to need more time.

Penny's Pappa
01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
This doesn't sound like a good idea.

It sounds like a great idea!! :thumbsup: I'll have to do this the next time we make pulled pork. What kind of beer are you thinking of using?

lil_acorn
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
This doesn't sound like a good idea.

It sounds like a great idea!! :thumbsup: I'll have to do this the next time we make pulled pork. What kind of beer are you thinking of using?

Hubby's homemade stout. I thought I'd throw in 1.5 cups of beer and .5 cup of water? Sounds like I should wait until the end for the bbq sauce.

crl
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the beer would be good, but agree to wait on the BBQ sauce. I do pork in just chicken broth and then serve on bread with BBQ sauce. I have also done beef with lipton's onion soup mix, beef broth and beer and then. Serve on toasted buns with the cooked broth as dipping sauce.

Catherine

boolady
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Hubby's homemade stout. I thought I'd throw in 1.5 cups of beer and .5 cup of water? Sounds like I should wait until the end for the bbq sauce.

I like to wait and let people self-administer the BBQ sauce because sometimes the meat has such good flavor, I don't use much sauce, if any at all. DH doesn't ever care for sauce, he'll just spoon some of the meat juices over. If you're using your DH's stout, I'd wait and either just mix in a very little bit of sauce at the end or let people add it to their meat/sandwich themselves. Just my completely unsolicited 2 cents. :)

lil_acorn
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks ladies - i'll let you know how it goes. It's "marinating" now in this dry rub of multi-spices. I'll throw some beer in tonight and let it go!

Penny's Pappa
01-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Niiiiiiice! I was thinking a good stout or porter would be good for this. :bowdown:

lil_acorn
01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
made this and it was yummy - see update in OP!

MMMommy
01-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Now I'm hungry just thinking about it!

Seitvonzu
01-26-2012, 11:52 PM
yummmy--- can i come over for a late night snack? :)