PDA

View Full Version : anyone take levaquin while pg?

lmh2402
01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
turns out that the cramping i was having in my lower belly, my OB says was just one of the many signs and symptoms of my body starting to try and fight off a massive infection

i woke up yesterday with 103.2 fever

it was lucky coincidence that i was going in for an appt anyway.

i have a massive sinus/respiratory infection. she prescribed levaquin - said it's "ok" b/c i'm in my second trimester.

i'm kind of freaked out by it. i trust my doctor - i've known her for years. she's always been extremely knowledgeable and competent and her pedigree/schooling is top-notch

but i'm still freaked out

as such, i've filled the script but haven't started taking it. however, i'm so, so, SOOOO sick. i need to figure something out.

anyone btdt?

thanks

cono0507
01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Was there a reason she didn't choose something more generally considered safe for pregnancy like zithromax or augmentin?

mikala
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
No BTDT but I hope you feel better soon! That sounds miserable.

It looks like its a class C drug for pregnancy so I would wonder if something old school with more history might be a better place to start. Hopefully someone else has more experience with it!

pinkmomagain
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Do you have a penicillin allergy? Levaquin is my go-to stronger antibiotic because of the allergy.

I think sinus infections can be stubborn and harder to treat...might be why she is rxing Levaquin over something like a Z pack. But if you're uncomfortable I'd call about maybe starting on something else.

lmh2402
01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
she didn't give me a z-pack b/c i just took that three weeks ago. for a previous infection. so she didn't want to give it again.

i have an allergy - throat swells, hives, etc - to anything "cillin" so no penicillin, amoxicillin, etc

not sure about augmentin

going to email her nurse this morning to see if she can give me any further info/reassurance

TwoBees
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
she didn't give me a z-pack b/c i just took that three weeks ago. for a previous infection. so she didn't want to give it again.

i have an allergy - throat swells, hives, etc - to anything "cillin" so no penicillin, amoxicillin, etc

not sure about augmentin

going to email her nurse this morning to see if she can give me any further info/reassurance

Augmentin contains amoxicillin so that would be out for you. I hope you feel better soon!

mikala
01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Ahh, makes more sense now with the allergy. I hope the nurse can give you some reassurance!

daisymommy
01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I have a sinus infection and bronchitis right now, and am on Amoxicillin. Also a bruised rib from coughing so hard :(

Sorry! Didn't read far down enough to see that you're allergic.
Feel better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
When I got my sinus/upper respiratory infection (ironically within 10 days after getting the swine flu vaccine) at the beginning of the second trimester my doctor told me to rest for two days and told me to take Robitussin DM, and to rest for two days. I didn't have a fever though but just felt terrible all around. I hope you feel better soon and I think the meds you got are fine, if they weren't I bet your doctor (ESP. if you trust her) wouldn't have given them to you.

MaiseyDog
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I pulled out my reference books and per "Drugs in Lactation and Pregnancy" human data with Levaquin (generic name levofloxacin) suggests low risk. There have been some studies suggesting a problem with ofloxacin (a drug in the same class) however problems have not shown up in studies with the others in the class, including levofloxacin. Here's what it says specifically "Although no reports describing the use of levofloxacin during human gestation have been located, the available evidence for other members of this class suggests that the risk of major malformation is low. However, a casual relationship with birth defects cannot be excluded (see data on ofloxacin), although the lack of pattern among the anomalies is reassuring. "

As for alternatives, Can you take antibiotics in the ceph family (like Rocephin or Keflex)? Some people that are allergice to penicillin drugs are also allergic to these, but if you have taken them safely in the past, that may be an option. Also, Bactrim, which is a sulfa drug, is listed as an alternative to penicillins in pregnant women, but it does have some problems when given close to delivery.

Generally I'm not a fan of using Levaquin and others in it's class for sinusitis but if you can't take a ceph drug, then your options are limited. The risk posed by the infection is problematic and must be weighted against the risk of exposure to the drug.

It really sucks being sick when pregnant. Hope you feel better soon.