PDA

View Full Version : JW Marriott Desert Ridge in July (Phoenix)?

MMMommy
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I know Phoenix is scorching hot in the summer, and I am not a fan of hot weather. But dry heat is the lesser of the evils to me than humid heat. We have never been to Arizona before, and I'm intrigued by the nice pools and lazy river at Desert Ridge. Is this a good place to stay at for four to five nights for an "everything you need in one place" type resort? DDs will be 7 and 8 then. DH loves golf. Kids love pools. Thoughts or other recommendations?

lmr1101
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I live about 5 minutes from the hotel. It is a very nice resort. A number of football teams usually stay there when we have big bowl games, etc.
It is walking distance to 2 shopping areas, but depending on when in July you come, you may not want to walk anywhere.
The golf course is supposed to be a great one -- and you can probably get a good deal on it in July.
I think if you're planning on lounging by the pool for the week you'll have a great time.
Not sure on pricing, but their is a Kierland resort about 5 miles away that is also great. Probably similar in pricing - not sure about pools but may be worth checking out just for comparision sake.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

candaceb
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I have been there for conferences 2 times in August. It is a really nice resort and while I didn't have much time to relax, I did enjoy the lazy river and the pool. It was blazing hot in August though - I would get up and go walking at 6AM and by the time I was coming back an hour later it was getting to the point of unbearable to be outside. I think you'd have to play golf with a very early tee time (like 7AM).

MMMommy
01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Is it a bad idea for me to be considering this in summer? What would you consider to be the very best month to go in terms of mild, more comfortable weather? It's too bad that the hottest time of year is the most convenient time of year for us to go.

bw52
01-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Lots of resorts run really good deals to get people there in the middle of summer, so make sure you're taking advantage of one of them if you do go then! Not sure about this specific resort, but I always saw commercials and news specials about the fancy resorts doing this.

And if you're wanting to do stuff outside during the day (ie. golf), then you prob don't want to go in July. The only reason you want to be outside is to be in the pool! So I guess it depends on what you plan on doing. Indoor shopping/pool would be great. Hiking, golfing, etc....not fun. We always told family they should avoid June-Sept, if possible. Meaning the other times of the year are much nicer--Feb and March are the best IMO.

BayGirl2
01-26-2012, 12:08 AM
We went to Westin Kierland for memorial day. The villa side, which is timeshare condos, but we had access to the hotel pool. Beautiful resort and lots of kid stuff. But I wouldn't go later than May, that was my limit for heat. Lots of other kid things to do in the area like a train park and great childrens museum too.

crayonblue
01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
We went to Phoenix in August and I about died. I think it was 118. Dry or not, that's HOT! I would totally, totally pick a different place for a summer vacation!

ged
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
We're crazy. We went last year with a 5 year old and a 2 month old! I think it was July. It was HOT for sure. I did not want to go, but DH really wanted to go (he was born there). Ultimately, the trip was quite enjoyable, but it was certainly hot. We spent time in both Tucson and Scottsdale at two different resorts. Some very minor sightseeing. Mainly pool time.

MMMommy
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the tip everyone. In order to avoid missing school, we will probably have to do this trip in the summer. Perhaps June will be slightly cooler than July. Wishful thinking, of course. It will be hot for sure. I'm just hoping it won't be record highs.

Tinkerbell313
01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I think Summer is monsoon season in Arizona. The season starts around mid-June and goes through mid-September. My inlaws live in Scottsdale and they are always complaining about the weather...well, they are always complaining, period.

lovin2shop
01-27-2012, 01:21 AM
We stayed there last March and it was fantastic! I don't think I would say the same in August though, I would look elsewhere. We're considering Beaver Creek to escape the heat in August.

lmr1101
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
There usually are great rates for the summer. I think if you stick to either June or very early July you probably won't melt.
I guess it does depend on what temps you are used to. For us out here if it's "only" 100 then it's a good day.
If there are a lot of out door activities you were hoping to do, as long as you can get them done before noon you should be ok most days. Just drink LOTS of water since your family - especially your kids - won't be used to the higher temps.

mom2binsd
01-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I was there in July last year, and although we have lots of heat and humidity here in the midwest, 110 is till fr&^in hot! The heat really limits what you can do! I would not choose to go to Phoenix in the summer if I had a choice.

Given your location there are so many great places within driving distance along the Pacific coast, north of SF even, not sure how much CA travel you've done since you live there.

MMMommy
01-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the "hot" (trying to be "punny") tip. I think the best compromise I can come up with is going in very early May. It will be hot, but not deathly hot, I think. It seems like a lot of weekends are sold out for this resort, so wish me luck!