PDA

View Full Version : 3 across in 07 Outback - possible?

pb&j
01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
DS is 6 and his MA is expiring, so he'll be going in to a booster in a month or two. DD is 3 and still rides in a MA, no plans to change that. So we need 2 boosters than can fit with a MA.

Is 3 across (2 in boosters) possible in an 07 Outback (middle position is very tight, and has a bit of a hump)? We might need the option on occasion for carpooling - DH has a Honda Pilot and can cram in a jillion kids if need be, but I don't want to drive that behemoth if I can help it. Is this possible, or am I dreaming?

Which boosters would you recommend? One will be DS's "permanent" seat, the other is for an occasional rider.

todzwife
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Honestly, I had an 07 Forester and it was SO hard to get 3 across. The only way I could, was to put a Radian center, an old-style MA next to it outboard (they puzzled well facing the same direction) and a turbo booster outboard. It was SO tight it was REALLY hard to buckle the booster. I ended up putting my 6 YO in another Radian just so I didn't have to buckle him in every time.

If it's just for an occasional thing, I'd probably pick up a turbo booster as HIS seat, and a harmony literider backless or bubblebum for the "occasional" rider. Or a britax parkway. DS loves his!

sarahsthreads
01-26-2012, 12:04 AM
We had an 05 Outback, and the main reason we upgraded to a minivan was that we couldn't (with any of the seats we owned) find a way to put a third child or another adult in the backseat. The hump in the middle seat basically made it impossible to install DD2's MA, and the MA outboard with DD1's Turbo booster in the middle didn't leave enough room to buckle an adult or a booster outboard. The MA outboard and booster outboard left room for a small child not in a booster in the middle - but a child small enough to fit there would really need to be *in* a booster. We also tried with a Nautilus (instead of the MA), but didn't even bother with the Frontier. ;)

I *think* if we had waited until DD2 was also in a booster, we *might* have been able to get a third person (maybe even one in a narrow booster) in the back seat, but that wouldn't have been for another 2-3 years.

I fondly called that car my "anti-TARDIS" because it was considerably smaller on the inside than you would expect from the outside dimensions!

Good luck!
Sarah :)

pb&j
01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I fondly called that car my "anti-TARDIS" because it was considerably smaller on the inside than you would expect from the outside dimensions!

Good luck!

:rotflmao:

I will say that the rear cargo space is amazing. But for actual people, it's not terrifically roomy. Too bad I can't just put everyone in the "way back," like in the old days. ;)

khalloc
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

I will say that the rear cargo space is amazing. But for actual people, it's not terrifically roomy. Too bad I can't just put everyone in the "way back," like in the old days. ;)

LOL!

I have an '05 Outback as well. The back seat is tiny!

sarahsthreads
01-27-2012, 10:11 AM

I actually said this to DH the other day - I am having a hard time getting used to driving the minivan, and I told him I wished I could just go back to the dealer and trade it back for my Outback. I said I'd even relax my stance on seatbelts and let people ride in the way back! ;) (Really, truly, just kidding. I don't start the car if everyone isn't buckled up, including my MIL who thinks the laws of physics don't apply to her.)

The cargo space in the Outback is, indeed, amazing. But the cargo space in my Odyssey is bordering on ridiculous...