PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your pre-schoolers in the summer?

ourbabygirl
01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm already starting to get brochures for swimming lessons, zoo camp, etc., not to mention having to figure out where to send DD for pre-school next year!
So now that she is in pre-school a couple mornings a week, I've gotten spoiled having a bit of time with just DS (1) to run errands and such.

He's no longer napping in the morning, and DD (3) is no longer napping, period, so we'll have lots of time to do things together in the morning this summer, but I'd also like to have maybe one day a week where DD goes to a drop-off supervised activity. I'm balking at the prices of some of these things, though...

So, (SAHMs, especially), what do you do with your kid(s) in the summer when typical programs like pre-school are no longer running? Anything reasonably-priced where you can get a couple of hours to yourself without the kids (other than gym childcare)?

Thanks in advance! :)

ahrimie
01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I look for camps or other drop off classes. DDs school has a summer camp she does for a month. Then in August, I look at the local university's program for preschoolers and our community center. Their prices were reasonable and better than say, swim schools or gymnastic classes.

wellyes
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
We do just 4 weeks of day camp. That definitely keeps the costs down. But it's enough for it to be a special thing for her. And in the non-camp weeks, we have plenty of family time & even a vacation.

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2012, 06:19 PM
We usually did the camp that was offered at his preschool or at his gymnastics' place. Those were just in the morning and we only did them for 2-3 weeks of the summer.

Rest of the summer = Hang out at the local pool!!!

maestramommy
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Typically l-2 weeks of summer camp (mornings only). Last year the girls went to VBS for the first time and loved it. So we're definitely doing that again. Otherwise it's short field trips.

DrSally
01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
VBS, park programs, swimming lessons, playdates at the park.

hellokitty
01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
MOMS Club activities and playdates, the nature center, lots of outdoor play.

mommylamb
01-25-2012, 07:31 PM
DS's preschool does a "camp" semester over the summer. It's the same hours but they do camp activities there. He was very happy with it last summer.