PDA

View Full Version : Preschool vs. Daycare

BabyBearsMom
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Poll Coming! I'm really torn on what to do. DD is in a wonderful home daycare full time. We love the providers and DD is very happy there. There are currently 7 kids, there are also two open slots for new kids. 3 are under 1 yo, DD and another girl who are 21 months, a 2.5 year old and a 3 year old. DD2 will be starting daycare there in August. Everything seemed perfect with this set up. Over the weekend, I did Mom's night out with the other daycare moms. I found out that the 3 year old, 2.5 year old and other 21 month old are going to be leaving the daycare between April and June. So that means that the child closest in age to DD will be a full year younger than her. They are only licensed to have 3 children under age 1 at a time, so I know that most of the slots will be filled with older kids. However, the two slots currently open have been open for months so I think the daycare is having a hard time finding those older kids.

There is a fantastic pre-school about 1 mile from our house. If we weren't having DD2, we had planned to send DD1 to the pre-school starting this fall. We then decided that with two kids it would be much easier to do one drop off and one pick up (the current daycare is about 15 to 20 minutes away from the pre-school, if that matters). The preschool starts at 16 months, so the plan was that once DD2 was 16 months, we would move both kids to the preschool.

I am starting to feel really worried that DD1 will be bored in a daycare full of babies and won't get the social interaction that she really craves (DD is very social and is BFF with the other 21 month old). I think DD1 is totally ready for pre-school. She loves structured activity, plays nicely with other kids, is comfortable doing assignments at a desk, and great with circle time.

Should we:
A) Get DD1 on the wait list for the pre-school and plan to send her in the fall and do two drop offs?
B) Wait and see how the open slots fill in and hope that we get other kids her age and then try to get her into the daycare if they don't fill up with older kids
C) Just send her to daycare until DD2 is 16 months, the convenience of 1 drop off is worth it
D) Win the lottery so I don't have to worry about this??

AnnieW625
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
I voted for one drop off, so I would keep DD1 at the same daycare.

At 2/1/2 I wouldn't worry about there not being too many playmates for DD1. My DD2 loves the babies at daycare right now. Now if she were older than 3 and there were only little babies then I might be more concerned about her being bored. Do you get a sibling discount?

Another thing that might influence my decision is why are the other families leaving?

BabyBearsMom
01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I voted for one drop off, so I would keep DD1 at the same daycare.

At 2/1/2 I wouldn't worry about there not being too many playmates for DD1. My DD2 loves the babies at daycare right now. Now if she were older than 3 and there were only little babies then I might be more concerned about her being bored. Do you get a sibling discount?

I think I get 5% off of DD1's tuition but I would have to check the handbook. It is a really small home daycare so it might be nothing. I should have added that the pre-school was comparable in price to what I am paying at the daycare now.

lhafer
01-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Before I vote - what are the times of the drop offs?

citymama
01-25-2012, 05:54 PM
My DD is the same age (well, 20 months) and I am looking to send her to a preschool in the Fall. I think it is a more stimulating environment for 2.5 and up. That said, if you have a terrific daycare provider and it is much more convenient set-up for the family, the daycare will be fine as well. I think it's a win-either-way scenario. As a back-up, I would get her on the preschool waitlist as well.

wellyes
01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I voted stay in the daycare, but not because it'll be easier for dropoff. 2.5 is really too young for preschool IMO. It is, however, the perfect age to "help" with the babies at the daycare. Let her be the oldest and wisest at daycare for a while before putting her into the mix with her peers.

BabyBearsMom
01-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Before I vote - what are the times of the drop offs?

The preschool opens at either 6:30 or 7am (I can't remember off the top of my head) and closes at 6:30pm. The daycare is 7am to 6pm. We usually drop DD1 off around 7:15 and pick her up at 4:45.

MoJo
01-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I am starting to feel really worried that DD1 will be bored in a daycare full of babies and won't get the social interaction that she really craves (DD is very social and is BFF with the other 21 month old). I think DD1 is totally ready for pre-school. She loves structured activity, plays nicely with other kids, is comfortable doing assignments at a desk, and great with circle time.

Should we:
A) Get DD1 on the wait list for the pre-school and plan to send her in the fall and do two drop offs?
B) Wait and see how the open slots fill in and hope that we get other kids her age and then try to get her into the daycare if they don't fill up with older kids
C) Just send her to daycare until DD2 is 16 months, the convenience of 1 drop off is worth it
D) Win the lottery so I don't have to worry about this??

I voted two drop offs, in part because it's what I'm currently doing, and because you seem to think it's best.

Your spread is identical to mine, but your kids are younger. I will say that when Jelly Bean's sister was born, she became totally fascinated with babies. . . and she would be more than content to stay at Ha's "preschool" with the little ones all day. As it is, she stays as long as she can (her sister is dropped off first every time and sometimes picked up last, just so JellyBean can see the little ones.) She is also very social; she gets the toddlers at Ha's school to almost line up to hug her in the morning!

But I truly think it's best for her to be with kids her own age, and I preferred her to be stretching to learn things like the bigger kids (she's the absolute youngest in her school) than imitating the babies (which she was doing more than enough of at home!)

I think you really could be OK with any of the options. Even if you wait, your oldest would have plenty of time in preschool.

jennilynn
01-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I say two drop offs, but at the very least, get on the wait list so you have the option. But I do think preschool is important.

mommylamb
01-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Well, I voted win the lottery so that you could share the wealth with all the important and deserving people in your life ;).

But, barring that, I would put your DD1 on the wait list at the preschool and make a decision later if she gets in. By then you will know more about any other kids that end up coming in. You can always defer and she'll stay at the top of the list.

I am not looking forward to doing 2 drop offs and pick ups come May. So, I feel your pain. What everyone has to realize is that the OP (and I, since we live in the same area) live in a really trafficy area where even driving a few miles out of your way can add a lot of time to your commute.