PDA

View Full Version : Best Infant Car Seat to use with BJCM?

amldaley
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
New Plan due to finances: I am keeping the BJCM and will just get the adaptors and use with whatever car seat we get for the few times I will need it. I don't like carrying an infant carrier style car seat around, and I do plan on wearing DD more often than not, but there will be times in the first few weeks when, realistically, it will be easier to pop her on to a stroller in her car seat. I know the BJCM has a decent recline but I don't like having a new born facing outward.

Not buying the pram for now. Not buying the glider board for DD1. Not buying a different stroller. Not buying a snap and go frame.

This question was asked previously by another poster and I found the thread in a search, but it did not really get answered.

What are the easiest, most compatible infant car seats with the BJCM?

For other reasons, we will not be buying a Chicco Keyfit 30, so please do not recommend that. Yes, I know it is a great seat. It is not the seat for us, however based on weight, size and fabric. I actually just sold DD1's.

Just looking for a seat, no larger than the KF30, that snaps easily and sits solidly on the BJCM and hopefully does not cost an arm and a leg as this entire new plan is motivated by finances (so, for instance, the Cybex Aton is out based on cost alone).

I thought of the Graco Snugride 30 but the cover is not washable!!!!!!!!!! (and based on DD1's diaper blow outs, a washable cover is mandatory for us!)

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Maxi Cosi Mico on sale but then read that it is not well rated by BB book, read some posts from Jools on it and read that it can be a PIA.

Can anyone who has used the BJCM with an infant car seat please let me know what you had and how it worked?

Thanks!

BabyBearsMom
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
We have a KF 30 and I just bought the BJCM car seat adapter for DD2 (although we are not a car seat as stroller family, but I thought with two, I will appreciate the convenience). I tried it out and it seems simple enough and essentially the same for any car seat (so long as it is compatable with the adapter). The seat just rests right into the adapter, easy peasy. If you are opposed to the KF30 and SR30....what about the Britax B-Safe? I think that is comparable price wise to the KF and SR IIRC. There are several less expensive brands (Safety First and a few others) but I don't know anything about those.

FWIW, when DD had a diaper blow out in the KF, I could almost always just wipe it down to clean it off. I don't think I ever removed the cover for washing actually. Blow outs only happened a few times and the fabric was such that it was easy to wipe clean.

amldaley
01-25-2012, 06:15 PM
We have a KF 30 and I just bought the BJCM car seat adapter for DD2 (although we are not a car seat as stroller family, but I thought with two, I will appreciate the convenience). I tried it out and it seems simple enough and essentially the same for any car seat (so long as it is compatable with the adapter). The seat just rests right into the adapter, easy peasy. If you are opposed to the KF30 and SR30....what about the Britax B-Safe? I think that is comparable price wise to the KF and SR IIRC. There are several less expensive brands (Safety First and a few others) but I don't know anything about those.

FWIW, when DD had a diaper blow out in the KF, I could almost always just wipe it down to clean it off. I don't think I ever removed the cover for washing actually. Blow outs only happened a few times and the fabric was such that it was easy to wipe clean.

We removed and washed the cover KF30 for blow outs MANY times. When the diarrhea is on the headliner of the car, you can bet it is not just wiping off the seat cover. DD1 had legendary blow outs. My issue with the KF30 cover is not washing it - I thought it washed extremely well. But it got SO hot that DD1 ended up with heat rash from it. Not doing that again. She would be drenched in sweat. And I don't want to lug the heaviest seat on the market around. I am 5'1" and have nerve damage in my back.

I don't know why when I scrapped the idea of getting the B-Ready, I also scrapped the idea of the B-Safe. I need to go back now and research to see how well the adaptors work for that combo. Thanks for the suggestion!

candaceb
01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
One of my friends was looking at the same issue recently (after I convinced her not to get the Chicco Cortina travel system :D) and came to the conclusion that the snap-n-go was the same cost as the adapter, and she liked the way it worked better. She went to Babies R Us and got them to get the adapter out of the box and assemble the stroller, adapter, and the car seat she picked and she just thought it was too much to deal with. I have not seen it in action myself, but you might want to go check out the adapter before you decide on it.

Joolsplus2
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
SR cover not washable? Say what? Nah, wash that thing, it's fine. The usual rules for all the 'hand wash only' covers should apply, just put it in super gentle with a drib of detergent and air dry it. Anyway, then you can buy a used adapter bar (doesn't have to be chicco compatible, those new ones are a little harder to find cheap). (Also, a cloth diaper cover over a sposie does wonders at containing blowouts...I always used a fuzzi bunz--with nothing in the pocket--Gdiaper would probably also be good) over a huggies on long trips ;))

BabyBearsMom
01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
We removed and washed the cover KF30 for blow outs MANY times. When the diarrhea is on the headliner of the car, you can bet it is not just wiping off the seat cover. DD1 had legendary blow outs. My issue with the KF30 cover is not washing it - I thought it washed extremely well. But it got SO hot that DD1 ended up with heat rash from it. Not doing that again. She would be drenched in sweat. And I don't want to lug the heaviest seat on the market around. I am 5'1" and have nerve damage in my back.

I don't know why when I scrapped the idea of getting the B-Ready, I also scrapped the idea of the B-Safe. I need to go back now and research to see how well the adaptors work for that combo. Thanks for the suggestion!

The KF30s do get a little warm. If I am home, I always pre-start the car and turn on the AC to cool it down on a hot day and that helps a lot, FWIW. I wouldn't want to spend the money on a new seat even though I'm not crazy about the KF30, personally.

legaleagle
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
How big are your kids generally and how long do you want to use it for? If it's not for a year, how about just getting a front adjust snugride 22? They're quite light and cheap!

vonfirmath
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Check on the price of the car seat adaptors for your Baby Jogger.

I was going to do the same thing for the same reason (saving money) but found the car seat adaptor cost as much as the snap and go stroller (actually more since I got my Snugrider on Craigslist and didn't see the BJCM adaptor there) -- and is much less convenient -- check out in a store and make sure that you can get that adaptor bar on and off since it will have to come off every time you fold the stroller.

amldaley
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
SR cover not washable? Say what? Nah, wash that thing, it's fine. The usual rules for all the 'hand wash only' covers should apply, just put it in super gentle with a drib of detergent and air dry it. Anyway, then you can buy a used adapter bar (doesn't have to be chicco compatible, those new ones are a little harder to find cheap). (Also, a cloth diaper cover over a sposie does wonders at containing blowouts...I always used a fuzzi bunz--with nothing in the pocket--Gdiaper would probably also be good) over a huggies on long trips ;))

The Graco website side-by-side comparison shows that some of the SR covers are washable for the SR 30 is says it is not. Thanks for the heads up though! I wondered why it wasn't washable especially considering it isn't one of the seats with the GracoPedic foam.

amldaley
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Check on the price of the car seat adaptors for your Baby Jogger.

I was going to do the same thing for the same reason (saving money) but found the car seat adaptor cost as much as the snap and go stroller (actually more since I got my Snugrider on Craigslist and didn't see the BJCM adaptor there) -- and is much less convenient -- check out in a store and make sure that you can get that adaptor bar on and off since it will have to come off every time you fold the stroller.

Bah. Why can't they just make it easy and let it stay on!?

amldaley
01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
How big are your kids generally and how long do you want to use it for? If it's not for a year, how about just getting a front adjust snugride 22? They're quite light and cheap!

Leaning that way...DD1 would have been fine. She was 20 or 22 lbs I think at age 1. But DD2 is already measuring huge and will likely come early, etc etc. That said, it does seem like the simple solution and I can just move her to a RF Convertible sooner than I did DD1 down the road when we have more money and time and sanity to figure it all out.

Thanks for the reminder on the front adjust, too! I had read that elsewhere and have forgotten to keep it in mind.

amldaley
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
One of my friends was looking at the same issue recently (after I convinced her not to get the Chicco Cortina travel system :D) and came to the conclusion that the snap-n-go was the same cost as the adapter, and she liked the way it worked better. She went to Babies R Us and got them to get the adapter out of the box and assemble the stroller, adapter, and the car seat she picked and she just thought it was too much to deal with. I have not seen it in action myself, but you might want to go check out the adapter before you decide on it.

I'll check them out - I was so oppossed to buying one as it seemed so single-purpose but after several suggestions, I guess it merits checking out!!!!!