PDA

View Full Version : How the Heck Do You Compare Mattresses? Help!

Indianamom2
01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm trying to buy a full size mattress for Ds's big boy bed. I haven't shopped for a mattress in a while and I am thoroughly confused.

I'm trying to stick with a relatively inexpensive innerspring mattress, maybe with pillowtop/eurotop. Really I just don't want a piece of junk, but I can't afford anything very expensive.

I've found a Serta Eurotop set at Sam's that seems to get good reviews, but who knows?

I've looked at Simmons BeautyRest, but can't decide how I feel about them.

Found a mattress by Therapedic that seems nice, but I know absolutely nothing about that brand.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these brands, good, bad or otherwise? Any advice on how to shop? I'm getting frustrated!

luli13
01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I had to do this a few months ago for DD's big girl bedroom. Reviews online didn't really help, IMO. What I ended up doing was I went to two mattress chains nearby, as well as a higher end furniture store and a mom and pop mattress store that has been in the area forever. I got prices for and tested out their middle of the road ones and compared. I ended up purchasing at the mom/pop place because I felt like they gave me the best deal for the better quality mattress and they had free delivery. Plus, they were just more helpful and personable and I trusted their input most. Something they said that made sense was not to spend a ton on a high quality mattress because it is for a smaller/lighter person who won't wear the bed as fast as a grown adult.

I know I didn't speak to the specific ones you asked about but I hope I helped a little by sharing my experience. There are just so many mattresses and everyone likes different ones for different reasons. Good luck and try not to stress too much over it (I did!).

ETA: DD's is a Simmons, BTW.

sdoyle
01-25-2012, 09:51 PM
We went to a store and laid on literally about 100 mattresses. A word of warning though----don't lay on anything you can't afford. We found some perfectly fine ones but then put ourselves in a pickle by trying a high-end one! The reviews didn't help as much for us. Everyone is so different when it comes to mattress choices----it's so personal :)

Stacy

WatchingThemGrow
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Love, LOVE, LOVE the Eurotop at Sam's. I can't tell you how much I love it!

I had one from 2001 (queen) and put it at BIL's house when DS1 was on the way. We got a (high end) Kingsdown as a gift from the ILs when we got married, so we've been using that. Well, it has been replaced once and is close to being replaced or thrown out, less than 2 years. We staged our house to sell and grabbed our Sam's club queen back from BIL's house. It is the best mattress. We also got one for DD's bed, and we love it.

We'll likely replace our high end one with the Serta Eurotop quite soon!