PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Question

connor_mommy
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Tonight we noticed in DS#2 that his bottom permanent tooth is on it's way out. The only problem is his baby teeth are still in. They're not loose and may not be for a while. Has anybody experience this? I'll be giving his dentist a call in the morning.

jench
01-26-2012, 12:07 AM
This just happened with one of my DD's teeth - this is maybe her 6th tooth or so, all others were fine but then with this one the baby tooth just won't come out. She can't even get a hold of it anymore to wiggle it, so weird!! We were just at the dentist and asked her about it - she said try to wiggle it out, but since we had to make a followup appt for something else in about 3 wks she said if it did not fall out by itself by then, she would pull it. Good luck!

sarahsthreads
01-26-2012, 12:12 AM
DD1 got "shark teeth" with her two bottom front teeth. Although, in her case, the baby teeth were wiggly (for a year!) before we saw tiny little teeth poking up behind them. Once they had broken through, the two wiggly teeth got *super* wiggly and finally came out.

I was impressed with how quickly those permanent teeth moved forward to their correct positions and filled in that gap - they were so far back when they came up it was bizarre!

DD1 thought it was hilarious that she had shark teeth. ;)

If you're worried, certainly call the dentist, but ours said it was fairly common for the permanent tooth to break through behind the baby tooth. My cousin's little boy did have to have a baby tooth pulled because the adult tooth was coming up *in front* of the baby tooth. I guess when it comes up behind the tongue eventually pushes it forward, but if it's in front that can be more of a problem.

Sarah :)

kristenk
01-26-2012, 12:15 AM
I know that at least one of DD's teeth came in pretty far before her baby tooth fell out. The baby tooth was loose when the permanent was starting to come in but not as loose as I thought it should be. I just had her wiggle her tooth a lot and the permanent tooth helped push it out a little, too, even though it was coming in behind the baby tooth.

I don't think it's all that uncommon for that to happen. I think I'd even read about it on the boards before so I wasn't as freaked out as I could have been!

connor_mommy
01-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks, Mamas! I knew I would get reassurance from you guys. DH is the one who takes care of the brushing and flossing. He thinks it just showed up, because he doesn't recall seeing the tooth there yesterday. It looks like it may have been out a few days.