PDA

View Full Version : Best drawing/scribbling implements for a toddler?

TxCat
01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
So, we haven't really let DD (15 mo.) practice using pen/pencil/crayon yet. Any recommendations on supplies to get her started with practicing drawing/scribbling. Obviously I want something that's easy for her to hold/manipulate but that also won't stain everything it comes into contact with.

sste
01-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Washable crayons I like the bigger ones or the ones that are kind of triangle-shaped for gripping.

Washable markers but must be kept away and closely supervised. Closely! We really don't haul out the markers as much as we should because of this.

There is also that "do a dot" art set - - also supervise. Nice for that age to manipulate.

twowhat?
01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I never really got the appeal of the big fat crayons, etc that were supposedly "designed" to make it easy for toddlers to grip. Just give her regular crayons, pens, pencils, markers! Let her watch you use them. Washable is good, and supervision is good:) You can get washable crayons and markers in normal sizes anywhere. My girls started out with regular crayons and markers and pencils (and scissors :bag) and were holding them correctly VERY soon. I was surprised at how early a toddler could grip a pencil like a pencil.

BayGirl2
01-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I like the crayola pipsqeaks markers a lot. They wash right off and are easier to use than crayons. For travel I like the color wonder sets.

KLD313
01-25-2012, 11:57 PM
I never really got the appeal of the big fat crayons, etc that were supposedly "designed" to make it easy for toddlers to grip. Just give her regular crayons, pens, pencils, markers! Let her watch you use them. Washable is good, and supervision is good:) You can get washable crayons and markers in normal sizes anywhere. My girls started out with regular crayons and markers and pencils (and scissors :bag) and were holding them correctly VERY soon. I was surprised at how early a toddler could grip a pencil like a pencil.

Yeah, my 16 mo old has the fat crayons and she can hardly hold them in her little hands.

Gena
01-25-2012, 11:58 PM
DS and his cousins liked these as toddlers:

http://www.amazon.com/Finger-Crayons-Set-of-10/dp/B000099ZD9/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1327550177&sr=1-2

♥ms.pacman♥
01-26-2012, 12:00 AM
for DS's birthday we were gifted some triangular crayons from Crayola. they are AWESOME because they don't roll. I *hate* dealing with crayons rolling off the table!! but that's more for me than for DS. so is the washable part (a must!)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=crayola+beginnings+triangular&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6387757485914995112&sa=X&ei=x88gT8yXE-rksQKp2fmyCQ&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAg

ett
01-26-2012, 12:17 AM
DS's used the large washable crayons that are one size up from regular crayons. (Not the really fat ones.)

mum-to-be
01-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Definitely washable! I like markers at that age because they don't have to press too hard to see results! A good idea is to give her the cardboard box bottles of water come in - it has outer rims, so will prevent to pens rolling away.

schrocat
01-26-2012, 12:39 AM
DS3 (16 months) could use normal pencils and crayons since he was about 13 months old. I bought the Stockmar blocks for him though because I thought that was more suitable for his age.

sweet_pea
01-26-2012, 12:46 AM
At that age, I really liked giving my DD a magna doodle to use – she got to practice her doodling with no mess; the pencil is attached and so doesn't roll away or get lost, nor does it break; also, erasing the drawing is fun. If you get a smaller one like this (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Doodle-Pro-Travel-Green/dp/B0015KW3VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327552923&sr=8-2) it is also great to use in the car or during airplane flights.

Uno-Mom
01-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Melissa & Doug triangle crayons are favorites here! They don't roll-wow, pre-child I never could guess how important that would be! They draw easily. They are much harder than other crayons so they don't break. (Crayola ones last 10 minutes here.).

The triangle shape makes the chunkier version more streamlined to hold, much better than other big crayons.

fedoragirl
01-26-2012, 04:52 AM
At that age, I really liked giving my DD a magna doodle to use – she got to practice her doodling with no mess; the pencil is attached and so doesn't roll away or get lost, nor does it break; also, erasing the drawing is fun. If you get a smaller one like this (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Doodle-Pro-Travel-Green/dp/B0015KW3VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327552923&sr=8-2) it is also great to use in the car or during airplane flights.

:yeahthat:

crl
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
My kids have preferred markers over crayons, nice bright lines. I usually give just one color per session when they are really little. Crayola washable. The other washable markers aren't as washable, IMO.

Catherine