PDA

View Full Version : JC Penny says "No More Sales"

amldaley
01-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Instead, the are just going to lower prices...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/25/j-c-penney-says-no-sale-cuts-all-prices-all-the-time-to-sim/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl13%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D130274

Green_Tea
01-26-2012, 12:33 AM
That's interesting. I wonder how it will affect pricing on brands like Carters or Totes or Osh Kosh. I can't imagine that certain brands will be on board with JCP consistently selling their merchandise at 40% below the ticket price, and would guess that other outlets that sell those brands (like BRU, Macy's, Sears, etc.) would not like it, and might threaten to drop those lines. Name brands like those are the only thing that ever pulls me into Penneys, though when I bought DD her snow boots there (Totes), I also ended up getting a few other things that I hadn't planned to.

larig
01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
As a huge apple fan, I've been curious how Ron Johnson's going to change things.

DietCokeLover
01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I am already sick of the commercials for this.

Cam&Clay
01-26-2012, 01:14 AM
I am ready to slit my throat over the commercials.

mom2binsd
01-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Newspapers will be sad to lose the income from the weekly insert with ads...

I have to say, seeing the ads and going in with my 10 off 25 this year really drew me into Penney's this year.

I was looking at some jeans for DS there recently, they were on "clearance" for 15.00....they are just size 6 Arizona jeans, nothing special, and without a further discount I don't consider that cheap...we'll see what they do.

I have faithfully bought their house brand St.John's Bay cords for work every year or two, always waiting till they go to about 14.99 on sale. I'll be watching next year.

wendibird22
01-26-2012, 09:26 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. IMO dept store sales are a joke anyway. I worked PT at Macy's a decade ago and we put sale signs and sale stickers on brand new inventory as it was unboxed. Nothing was ever the original, no sale price. EVER.

JTsMom
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Has anyone ever bought anything full price at JCP? Everything is always on sale, so I don't think this is going to change anything as far as pricing, but the main reason I usually shop there instead of Kohls (which are the 2 big dept stores we have here) is the 20% off coupons that are so abundant.

wellyes
01-26-2012, 09:31 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. IMO dept store sales are a joke anyway. I worked PT at Macy's a decade ago and we put sale signs and sale stickers on brand new inventory as it was unboxed. Nothing was ever the original, no sale price. EVER.

That reminds me of Kohl's too. I've gotten reciepts there that said "You spend $35. You saved $150!!" I did not feel like I got a bargain. I thought "what moron would ever spend more than $35 on this stuff????"

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
That reminds me of Kohl's too. I've gotten reciepts there that said "You spend $35. You saved $150!!" I did not feel like I got a bargain. I thought "what moron would ever spend more than $35 on this stuff????"

I feel like a straight up sucker if I really need something and happen to be there on a rare day that they don't have a sale going.

ett
01-26-2012, 09:45 AM

This is why I've stopped shopping at places like Kohls, JC Penneys, and Macys. Everything is marked up so they can put it on "sale". I decide whether something is a good deal by looking at the actual price not how much percent off it is.

ang79
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
This is why I've stopped shopping at places like Kohls, JC Penneys, and Macys. Everything is marked up so they can put it on "sale". I decide whether something is a good deal by looking at the actual price not how much percent off it is.

I don't normally shop at the mall dept. stores and do the majority of my shopping for clothes at Kohls, Old Navy, and Target. I always shop off the clearance racks and with coupons, and am able to get great deals on clothes for all of us. I agree that Kohls esp. has their normal prices marked up ridiculously high, but they almost always have some sort of coupon you can use and they always have clearance racks. So when you combine the clearance rack with a sale, it IS a good deal, considering that I can get shoes and clothes for under $8-$10 a piece (normally under $5 actually for the girls!). As long as you know how to shop those stores with coupons, the bargains are there for the taking.

Not sure how this no sale thing will affect Penny's, but I'm guessing its going to be a very slow transition to get people used to shopping normal low prices vs. not getting big discount sales (even if those normal low prices are better than previous sales prices - its just how we've all become programmed to shop these days!)

amldaley
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
I am already sick of the commercials for this.

I am ready to slit my throat over the commercials.

Sorry! I don't watch many commercials at all, so had no idea umtil I read about it! Heavily advertised? huh?

mikala
01-26-2012, 10:27 AM
It seems almost like they are trying to turn themselves into more of a Target competitor. Target has occassional sales but more often than not I find myself paying full price for things because full price is generally reasonable. In contrast I refuse to pay full price at most department stores because the markup is just insane. $40 for a cotton t-shirt? No thank you.

That said, I don't see this working. There is something psychological about department stores and seeing the signs that make you feel like you're saving money even if you really aren't. I don't think that one struggling store alone will be able to change that consumer perspective.

lhafer
01-26-2012, 10:34 AM

That is exactly how I feel about kohls! But I am about to buy some sets of dinnerware there tomorrow...it's on "sale" and I have a 20% off coupon.

I need to go to pennys and look at their curtains. They tend to have a big selection. Otherwise, I rarely shop at the mall.

larig
01-26-2012, 10:40 AM
It seems almost like they are trying to turn themselves into more of a Target competitor. Target has occassional sales but more often than not I find myself paying full price for things because full price is generally reasonable. In contrast I refuse to pay full price at most department stores because the markup is just insane. $40 for a cotton t-shirt? No thank you.

That said, I don't see this working. There is something psychological about department stores and seeing the signs that make you feel like you're saving money even if you really aren't. I don't think that one struggling store alone will be able to change that consumer perspective.

Ron Johnson was at Target before he went to apple and worked on the iconic Apple retail store model. I'm not surprised he's taking that route.

hellokitty
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Does this mean they are getting rid of their coupons. The sales don't necessarily draw me to JCP, but I love their $10 off of $25 coupons.

DietCokeLover
01-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry! I don't watch many commercials at all, so had no idea umtil I read about it! Heavily advertised? huh?

I just started noticing them recently. They are just INCREDIBLY annoying. People screaming at sales ads in their mailbox, etc.
Really, really annoying.

katydid1971
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
For the last few years I have been able to get shirts for DS in March in the next size up for 80% off. I hope they will still have those kinds of great markdowns. I also liked the coupons, I have gotten $10 off $10 and used it to get Arizona jeans for DS for $1. I am also really happy with the marble run I got DC at Christmas on super sale for $9. I hope they improve the lighting in the stores. I have never been in a Penneys that wasn't dark and dirty looking.

Mommy_Again
01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry if this was stated in the link from OP, but here's what I read: The article in our paper said that instead of the hundreds of sales they typically run every year, they will have just one per month. Instead of mailing coupons, they will produce magazine-like catalogs. While they will lower prices some, they're not aiming to compete with Wal-Mart to be the lowest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gracemom
01-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I think this is a mistake. I would never shop at JCP unless I had a coupon. I can't see their "new lower prices" matching what I can get buying clearance and sale items with a coupon.

gamma
01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I found this article, which explains the plan very well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-6-ways-ron-johnson-plans-to-transform-jc-penney-into-americas-favorite-store-2012-1

crayonblue
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Does this mean they are getting rid of their coupons. The sales don't necessarily draw me to JCP, but I love their $10 off of $25 coupons.

And their $10 off $10!!!!

hellokitty
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
And their $10 off $10!!!!

Yeah, unfortunately I think I only ever got one of those. I still have yet to get one of those awesome kohls ones.

AnnieW625
01-26-2012, 06:29 PM
So honestly even though I don't shop at Penney's much I think that the new sale thing will work out just fine because it is simple. I'd rather have the EDV stuff and "product of the month" specials and not be able to use the coupon vs. like it Macy's where they have a long old list of stuff that the coupon can't be used on. At least with Kohls the coupons can be used on everything. I do like the Friday specials as Friday nights are usually a great time to go shopping because the mall is dead. I like their towels and pillows so if I don't have a coupon it won't persuade me from shopping there because those items have proven their good quality previously. Their American Living line is quite nice too and I have been very happy with the quality so add that to the list of stuff that I will buy as long as the price is decent.

This is me too. The only thing that Macy's doesn't seem to really mark up too much is Kitchen Aid mixers so if they put them on sale for $259 like they are now then you happen to have a 15% off coupon then you get a really good deal on an Artisan mixer, which is the special they are having now (that's how I got mine in 2006).

I just bought two rain jackets from Kohls.com because I found a 30% off coupon and got some Kohls cash and when I returned one for a credit back to my card the SA seemed shocked that I wasn't distraught about losing the $10 in Kohls cash. I have never once used Kohls cash.

maiaann
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM

LOL! :hysterical:

I love Kohls, but it drives me nutty when they take the time to point out how much I (ahem) "saved." Hmmm... let's talk about how much I SPENT!

wendibird22
01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Our local news confirmed the new pricing plan too:

When you shop next week, expect to see a three-tiered pricing system at JC Penney. They include "Every Day" low prices, "Monthly Value" discounts on select merchandise, and clearance deals called "Best Price" during the first and the third Friday of each month. JC Penney will also launch a new logo and marketing campaign next week.

I don't know about you, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to be there on the 1st or 3rd Friday. I work. I have kids. I live 45min away from a JCP. I could imagine that by the time I could get there on a weekend the clearance deals will be pretty picked over.