PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Green Cleaning Supplies

Kitten007
01-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Okay so I am not the healthiest when it comes to keeping my house "green", but I would like to start trying. I use Tide (normal washer now, no HE), Downy dryer sheets, Cascade Complete Action Pacs in dishwasher, Jet Dry, Dawn with Oil of Olay (my hands get wrecked with normal dish soap), Clorox Wipes, Windex, Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner, and more that I can't think of right now. I am trying to make healthier changes in my house and was researching greener alternatives to my horrible collection. I was leaning towards trying Method or Seventh Gen for new products, but I am one who is afraid of change as my chemical supplies clean pretty well. I was leaning more towards Method as I can find it at Target and on-line (like Soap.com). Can anyone give me some advice on how well some of these products perform? I see a lot of people (reading tons of reviews on Facebook, Soap.com, Amazon, etc...) seem to like both brands and seems like Method is more of a favorite. I am just overwhelmed and hoping you all can help as I really trust your opinions and advice (way more than reviews on-line). Thank you so much ladies!

FYI - We do use Babyganics Cleaning Wipes for tables and counters and love Method Hand Soaps (only hand soap that helps my poor dry hands).

Melaine
01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
My favorite cleaning item, by far is vinegar. I dilute it out (1 part vinegar, 3 parts water maybe?) and use it for all kinds of stuff; counters (well, before I got granite), kitchen table, floor, bath counters, floor, etc. I've even sprayed it on the carpet.

I think once you realize that stuff doesn't have to be harsh to clean, you will start to feel better about it. Plus your mind starts to associate the smell of vinegar with clean (at first I hated the smell but now I really like it because it's a good feeling to not worry about inhaling, etc.) Also when I used harsh clorox-y stuff I was worried about my skin and clothing and most of all DDs getting into it, but a spray bottle of vinegar can sit out all the time totally safely. I'm so happy with these changes.

I scrub the sink with baking soda. I admit I still use windex, wasn't happy with alternatives I tried...Any recs on that?
For toilets I use 7th Generation (http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-SEVE-22704-Bathroom-Cleaner/dp/B0006J487G/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327582546&sr=1-2) but I sometimes just shake baking soda in there and spray with vinegar before scrubbing with the brush. We still use magic eraser sometimes for some stuff, but it's pretty mild AFAIK.

I use this (http://www.amazon.com/Biokleen-Blends-Cleaner-32-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B0009ET4ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327582469&sr=8-1) for bathroom sinks and tubs, sometimes kitchen sink. I LOVE this stuff. It smells awesome and does a good job. It goes really far, too.

If you are used to using clorox wipes, you might try getting a package of baby wipes and just spraying vinegar on them. They work just as well, tons cheaper and safer. I admit although we are almost disposable-free we still use baby wipes frequently for cleaning.

ETA: I admit that I still keep bleach around. When I spilled turkey juice ALL over the cabinets and the floor I pulled out the Clorox clean-up.

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
You might want to start with the baby steps of using a pre-made cleaner like Method or 7th Generation. It'll seem more like the mainstream stuff.

I use diluted castille soap in a spray bottle for almost all of my general cleaning. Counters, dusting, cleaning off the dining room table...

I found that dish soap (hand, not dishwasher) can clean the toilet well. I discovered that when I decided I should stop using my Clorox toilet bowl cleaner and started experimenting. But, I usually use Bon Ami to clean my toilet.

Floors- diluted vinegar.

Mirrors and window- there is *no doubt, imo* that vinegar is superior to Windex! No streaks, no chemicals and works fine. I just pour some on a cloth, undiluted.

I use Method for laundry and no fabric softener.

I know it's harder to switch and hard to believe that other stuff can clean well. But, it really does. And remember, some germs are really good for us. It isn't great to live in a sterile environment. :)

Melaine
01-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Maybe I have never tried straight vinegar on the mirrors, I will try that.

roseyloxs
01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
:yeahthat: Another vinegar user here. Switched about a year ago and I love it.

AbbysMom
01-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I just mixed 6 ounces of hot vinegar (just heated in microwave) with 6 ounces of blue Dawn, and put it in a spray bottle. It worked so well on my shower and it still smells heavenly a day later!

RedSuedeShoes
01-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I also use vinegar for a lot of things. I keep a 16 ounce spray bottle to which I add 1/8 tsp. tea tree oil by my sink and use it for counters, spills anywhere, just general cleaning. I have even been known to spray a little on the kids (hands) at times! And I feel totally comfortable with them using it to clean up, too.

For windows and mirrors, though, the absolute best thing I've ever tried (commercial or homemade) is club soda in a spray bottle! Awesome! No streaks (I also use one of those microfiber glass cloths from Target). And also safe for the kids to use - they clean all the mirrors and windows they can reach.

I have mixed up a lot of homemade cleaners, including various sprays and scrubs. I got the recipes from this book (http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Green-Annie-Berhold-Bond/dp/1886101019/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327699344&sr=1-4). I love her sprays for killing and deterring ants, her stain remover and several of her other recipes. I have found her recipes to be effective as well as simple and cheap.

I also use that BioKleen Soy Cream Cleanser for the kitchen sink and bathtub. And I like the BioKleen toilet cleaner, too. And I bought a giant jug of Life Tree Bathroom Cleaner that I use for the sinks (and sometimes the toilets and bathtubs).