PDA

View Full Version : Military Rescue of Aid Workers in Somalia...

ha98ed14
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Upfront, I am a unwavering Obama supporter, so this is not meant as a criticism. That said, do you think that the military rescue of the young woman and her older male colleague was because she was a young woman? There was another kidnapping of a ship captain, but I can't remember if he rescued himself with quick thinking or if the military played a role. Do you think it's okay that they rescued a woman, but have/may not do the same for men?

Giantbear
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
no, i do not. I think a lot of things go into the decision, logistics, politics, situational analysis, but i do not think the gender of the person being rescued is considered. This rescue also is in line with the new military policy of small interventions rather than larger scale invasions.

boolady
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
That said, do you think that the military rescue of the young woman and her older male colleague was because she was a young woman? There was another kidnapping of a ship captain, but I can't remember if he rescued himself with quick thinking or if the military played a role.

No, because the Navy played a huge role in the safe return of the captain of the Maersk Alabama, the Somali pirate situation you're talking about. The U.S. has also assisted other nations, Italy is one that I can think of, in rescue operations involving ships hijacked by Somali pirates with male crews.

crl
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I am not aware of any policy or pattern of military rescues based on gender.

Catherine

waitingforgrace
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
No, I don't think it had to do with gender. On the news this morning they mentioned that the rescue took place when it did due to a change for the worse in the woman's health.

Hawkeyewife
01-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Special Forces are all over the world doing things we never know about. I am proud that they saved those aid workers in Somalia without any casualties, but I absolutely hate that the administration so quickly announces (or leaks) that Seal Team Six was responsible. I simply feel that announcing specifics on the rescue team may put them and their families in danger.

maestramommy
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I heard that the woman had health issues that were deteriorating.

kijip
01-26-2012, 02:01 PM
The military also saved an Iranian crew from Somali pirates. I really don't think they care as much about gender as they do about feasibility, saving the lives at risk, and increasing safety by making it harder to be a pirate/kidnappers.

AnnieW625
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
I am not aware of any policy or pattern of military rescues based on gender.

Catherine

:yeahthat:
If I were in the same situation as the girl and her older male co worker I would be hoping from the moment that I got captured that someone no matter what country they were from was trying to get me out of there quickly and as safely as possible.