PDA

View Full Version : Meal Prep and Delivery on Staten Island?

ha98ed14
01-26-2012, 12:06 PM
BFF lives on SI. She's having her first and has no family or good friends to bring meals after baby is born. I live in California, so I am no help. Anyone know of a meal prep service that will deliver meals to them and does not add a surcharge to deliver on SI? It seems like there's a surcharge on anything you try to do on SI. Her doula was going to charge her an extra thousand dollars to come to SI. I know it's a schlep, but really? Thankfully she found an SI based doula, but it was hard to find. Definitely the stepchild of all the boroughs.

lmh2402
01-26-2012, 01:26 PM
where is she on the island? north or south shore? or mid-island.

one thing SI does well is food, actually. specifically Italian food

ha98ed14
01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
where is she on the island? north or south shore? or mid-island.

one thing SI does well is food, actually. specifically Italian food

St. George. I think that's north, right? She can walk to the ferry for work.

lmh2402
01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
St. George. I think that's north, right? She can walk to the ferry for work.

yep, north as you can get

i'll do some thinking and post back later

jenfromnj
01-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but we've had really good luck with Fresh Direct. Our friends who live in the city use it, and they deliver to SI. They have a decent selection of prepared meals that you just have to heat, as well as sandwiches and such, and things like stir fry kits that you just have to throw in a wok/pan (everything is already sorted/chopped). Might be worth considering if you can't find a proper meal delivery place.

http://www.freshdirect.com/index.jsp

LMPC
01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
We used Fresh Direct when we lived in the city, and I agree that they have pretty good prepared meals. And their prices are comparable to B&M stores.

Jo..
01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I lived on SI from age 18 until age 31.

That freaking bridge toll is $14 now...can that be right? It was $7 or so when I lived there, and it really affected me. If I were a doula travelling to SI, I'd factor in gas, time, and tolls, and likely add several hundred to a thousand too.

That said, Staten Island has EXCELLENT food on every corner. Maybe you could just get her a gift card to a restaurant or take out place.

My favorite place for Gyros was GoGo Souvlaki King...it has the best Gyros I have tasted anywhere. I would almost travel back there just for a Gyro. It's mid-island, which is still only a few miles from St George.

Jo..
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
PS almost every pizzeria in SI is amazing. Much like Brooklyn. I yearn for the pizza too.