PDA

View Full Version : fondant cake DIY help needed!

nfowife
01-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I am attempting to make DS's birthday cake for Saturday and I am planning to use marshmallow fondant. I'm doing a batman themed cake, so my plan is to do a 4 layer 9x13 white cake with a chocolate buttercream frosting (this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rich-chocolate-frosting-2/detail.aspx)- really 2 layers that I cut again into 2 more layers if that makes sense. Then I want to cover the whole thing with the marshmallow fondant and the designs. I have some questions:

- I'm trying to figure out a timeline for making the cakes, frosting it, and then doing the fondant. I will make the cake tomorrow but then when do I frost? Do I frost tomorrow night and then let it sit out overnight and crust or do I put it in the fridge and then pull it out Sat. morning, get to room temp and then do the MMF decorations? Or make the whole thing tomorrow and let it sit out or refrigerate? The party is Saturday early afternoon.

-I am planning to do the batman logo. I want to do the whole cake in blue MMF, with the yellow MMF circle on top, and then the black MMF bat design on top of that. Do I need to put anything in between the layers of MMF to make them stick together? Or will they just stick on their own?

Any help you could give me would be great! I've already made the yellow and black MMF and will do the blue tonight. I'm really excited though I don't expect it to be "Cake Boss" quality or anything, but that's okay since it's for a bunch of 5 year olds :).

BeachBum
01-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I don't think it matters that much. Most people aren't going to be able to taste much of a difference.
Once the cake is cooled and the buttercream layer is on I would go ahead and put the first layer of MMF on. It kind of seals it from the elements, making it more air tight and keeping the cake fresh.
IME do no refrigerate after MMF it will get tacky.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and assemble tomorrow, so if you had any issues you'd know. But certainly you could wait to decorate it until Saturday depending on how much time you have.

Good Luck! :)

Mopey
01-26-2012, 09:12 PM
This is what I do for a living! (cake boss eat your heart out ;))

When I make a cake I frost it the same day (if you plan to carve/cut at all I really recommend chilling the layers first). Buttercream acts like a sealant, keeping the yummy moisture in and preserving the flavor once you put it in the fridge. You should also do a soaking syrup (equal parts water and sugar, boil until all sugar is dissolved, cool, brush on each layer of cake as you build).

I am not sure what marshmallow fondant is, but regular fondant cannot be refrigerated. I usually chill the cake overnight and then finish it (aka, do all the fondant covering and design) the morning of the party. Once it is finished you can leave it out - if you refrigerate regular fondant it will sweat and get all shiny and sticky. Plus the taste is better at room temperature.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Hope this helped!!

elephantmeg
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
bake, cool, frost and do the regular fondant. You wet the layers of fondant (brush with a wet paint brush) to get them to stick together. I would do the final yellow/black decorations Fri eve. No fridge!