PDA

View Full Version : do you find yourself obsessed with your kid's toys?

♥ms.pacman♥
01-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Because with Christmas and DS's birthday, my life essentially revolves around Thomas right now! I find myself frequently checking mamabargains, TJMaxx, CL or whatever just for deals on Thomas stuff, trying to get this or that train on sale, etc. And the crazy thing is...my DS does.not.need.any.more.trains!! He probably has close to 100 already. Yet, I can't seem to stop myself... :bag

i guess, my thing is, i'm also a collector sort of person..always have been as a kid. The type to want to collect all the characters or colors in a set, not just for playing with but for the sake of having them, displaying them, possibly handing them down, etc. And, the scary thing is, I think DS is too. He has a memory of an elephant, he seems to have OCD tendencies and gets bothered when he can't find a specific train or piece. If there is a train he wants but doesn't have, he will go on and on over how it's "missing" from his collection. If i took one of his trains away he would definitely notice it was missing (i've tried this!)

So, am I the only one who has become addicted to my LO's toys? The other day my MIL made a comment about how she thinks i'm into Thomas almost as much as DS...

sste
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Well, let's just say I am considering a THIRD 100 piece set of magnatiles . . . because *I* play with them so much. My proudest creation was an extremely tall, dramatic castle with windows doors and interior stairs. I festooned pose-able scooby doo figurines in the windows, roofline, etc. DS did a very "gaudi" roofline for the back of the castle and I was practically sitting on my hands because he was using the isosceles I wanted . . .

wellyes
01-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Ha! I have so been there.

The key for me is to stop focusing on consuming. I want the kids to be able to deeplyenjoy what they have, instead of wondering what's coming next. I'm sure your LO isn't there yet, but that is the down-the-road risk for moms like us who find shopping fun and maybe even therapeutic.

wellyes
01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
:jammin:
Ha! I have so been there.

The key for me is to stop focusing on consuming. I want the kids to be able to deeply enjoy what they have, instead of wondering what's coming next. I'm sure your LO isn't there yet, but that is the down-the-road risk for moms like us who find shopping fun and maybe even therapeutic.

Eta I have no idea how that happened, sorry!

Cam&Clay
01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Same problem here with Thomas. DS2 has well over 100 of them and I see no end in sight. I buy them. DH buys them. My brother buys them. It's insane. We have a list of what he has and what he "needs." It's sad but we enjoy it just as much as he does.

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I am a collector. When ds1 was little, the Little People and Geotrax sets came with a brochure of all the sets available. We used those as shopping lists. I have gotten much better but I have to resist the urge to do it!

Jo..
01-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I am a collector. If I get one book, I need the whole series. If I get one train, I want them all. I want every Leapster cartridge for my kids and every WII game and every Disney movie. I also have an extremely addictive personality, which I am sure is related.

We were recently forced to downsize. We are now living in a tiny rental house (under 1000 square feet) with 95% of everything in storage. You know what? We are happier and spend more quality time as a family. SO much so, that when I DO unpack those mountains of toys and "STUFF", almost all of it will go straight to Craigslist.

I kept their Leapsters. The Magnatiles (two large sets). Their balls, bats, and gloves. Their scooters. Several favorite board games. A jump rope. ONE doll for DD. 20 favorite books (out of hundreds).

The rest was donated or stored. We don't miss it.

I have a TON of Thomas, and when it comes out of storage, I am calling you. :ROTFLMAO:

♥ms.pacman♥
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
ha you guys are all hilarious! makes me feel tons better.

snugglebuggles - ah, those little brochures that come with those sets are EVIL! i swear, DS spends soooo much time staring at those, like he's reading a book or something. his commentary always basically goes something like this: "We have that. We have that. What/who is that? (I reluctantly tell him).We don't have [that]. I want [that]." Argh!

And sste, that sounds like something I would totally do! No magnatiles here yet...waiting till the kids are a little older, and partially bc i' know DH & I would go nuts with them. I see on mom blogs pics of activities with lightboxes and clear magnatiles, and i start to drool a little. LOL

Jo - yeah, im sorta the same way about some things. DH is not a collector except for with books, he just goes crazy.we have tons of books too. DH's dream is to have a library inside our house i think. LOL

and yeah i agree it's probably good to teach DS that he can't have everything, and have him learn the value of things, etc. It's a lesson for me too i guess..it's hard bc i want to get DS everything!

Giantbear
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM
see and here i thought you meant obsessed with them as in constantly playing with them......

Globetrotter
01-27-2012, 02:56 AM
I had tendencies, but my big one was Playmobil. OMG, that stuff is addictive.

I'm over it now that the kids are older, and fortunately they are the types who play with their toys a lot so I don't feel bad, plus it has resale value. I no longer even think about toys or games, etc.. until it's time for their bdays or Christmas!

AnnieW625
01-27-2012, 03:08 AM
I want more original Little People from the 70s/80s but I have yet to actually buy them. Recently I bought DD1 a mini Simon game for Christmas and am secretly hoping that they reintroduce the original because I never had one growing up.

Globetrotter
01-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Oh yeah, before Playmobil it was Little People! I used to stalk sets on ebay.

anonomom
01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Oh, yes. For me, it's Squinkies. :bag They're just so flippin' cute! And now they have ones that are even smaller. I haven't bought any and I probably won't, but I really want to!