PDA

View Full Version : make me over....

boilermakermom
01-26-2012, 11:46 PM
I need to go shopping, bad. I have recently realized I haven't purchased anything other then hoodies, sweats, yoga pants and t-shirts since DD was born in '08. I have purchased the occasional dress for weddings, etc.

I have a few pairs of Gap Long and Lean Jeans that I typically wear when I go out. I pair it with a solid colored long sleeve shirt (usually Gap) and put a sweater over it. The majority of my sweaters are old; 5+ years.

I feel like I have lost all sense of style, and mainly shop for comfort.

Truthfully, I am not even sure where to start!

infomama
01-27-2012, 01:15 AM
I see outfits on Pinterest (from Polyvore) that inspire me.

boilermakermom
01-27-2012, 01:20 AM
I have found the same, but can't afford $150 for a cardigan.

I think part of my loss is I do not know what stores to start in...I am 5'2 and a size 6.

Sunspot
01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
H&M is cheap and stylish if you have it close by. Also, the clothes they have for teenage girls are actually very good and would fit you.

goldenpig
01-27-2012, 01:49 AM
I was in your shoes six months ago (but did not even have the nice Gap Long & Lean jeans, I had frumpy mom jeans that I bought even before I was a mom). But I did a total wardrobe overhaul with the help of Angie and the ladies at YouLookFab. You should check it out! There are tons of articles and an active forum where you can post questions or outfits for feedback or get opinions on whether you should keep or return something you bought. It's like BBB for fashion! Everyone is so nice there.
http://youlookfab.com/
Have a look at Angie's outfit formulas for Moms On the Go:
http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/07/10-casual-outfit-formulas-for-mom-on-the-go/

And some of the stores I have been shopping at that seem to have clothes that work for me:
Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack
Anthropologie
H&M
Gap
White House Black Market

I try to stick to places that have generous return policies like Nordstrom & Anthro because it took me a while to learn what fits on my post kids body (I'm a different shape now) and what looks good on me and what my style is. So it takes a lot of trying things on and experimenting and returning most of what I buy so that I only keep what looks and feels great on me.

Also, Nordstrom and Anthro have free personal shopping services which you can try. And the sales associates at WHBM also bring suggested similar/matching items for you when you bring something to the fitting room.

Also, the MomWear forum here is another great place to post questions like you just did--but I save most of it for YLF so I don't hog this forum! They don't bat an eye over at YLF if you ask questions or post pics every day if you want! Good luck and have fun!

boilermakermom
01-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I was in your shoes six months ago (but did not even have the nice Gap Long & Lean jeans, I had frumpy mom jeans that I bought even before I was a mom). But I did a total wardrobe overhaul with the help of Angie and the ladies at YouLookFab. You should check it out! There are tons of articles and an active forum where you can post questions or outfits for feedback or get opinions on whether you should keep or return something you bought. It's like BBB for fashion! Everyone is so nice there.
http://youlookfab.com/
Have a look at Angie's outfit formulas for Moms On the Go:
http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/07/10-casual-outfit-formulas-for-mom-on-the-go/

And some of the stores I have been shopping at that seem to have clothes that work for me:
Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack
Anthropologie
H&M
Gap
White House Black Market

I try to stick to places that have generous return policies like Nordstrom & Anthro because it took me a while to learn what fits on my post kids body (I'm a different shape now) and what looks good on me and what my style is. So it takes a lot of trying things on and experimenting and returning most of what I buy so that I only keep what looks and feels great on me.

Also, Nordstrom and Anthro have free personal shopping services which you can try. And the sales associates at WHBM also bring suggested similar/matching items for you when you bring something to the fitting room.

Also, the MomWear forum here is another great place to post questions like you just did--but I save most of it for YLF so I don't hog this forum! They don't bat an eye over at YLF if you ask questions or post pics every day if you want! Good luck and have fun!

I only have a quick minute, but checked out the blog and LOVE it! thank you so much for sharing! i need to read it some more, and then go shopping! I love the flop proof mom outfits. they are exactly what i am looking for. comfort and style!! and much better then the current jeans and old ratty out of style sweater i wear when i go out.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack, Anthropologie, H&M, White House Black Market near by. I suppose in another month or so Spring stuff will be out. Maybe I will try and plan a trip out to the burbs. There is a mall not to far away, that has all of the stores listed.

I do have a Gap, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Macy's and Carson's. i suppose I will start there in the next few weeks.

Thank you!!!!

Twoboos
01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for posting the You Look Fab site. I LOVE the "Mom on the Go" looks! I am going to raid my closet and see what I can recreate. I really, really need to use more of what I have.

Ane the pics of the outfits she put together are cracking me up - because each one has a snack in it!! Yup, that's a true mom-on-the-go!! :rotflmao:

artvandalay
01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
goldenpig, than you for posting that site. Can I ask, what are all the things you can do there?

I just clicked on the forums... very cool. Do they have different forums for different types of clothing? Like shoes/ outerwear, etc? Or is it just lumped in with everything in What I Wore, Dressing, etc?

How do you use the site? I may have to join!

artvandalay
01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
OP, I just looked at that "Mommy" fashion link that goldenpig linked to, I would start there for ideas. Even though the article is from '09, I think her advice is still up to date.

I really need to update my wardrobe this year as well.

goldenpig, do you know if the same author has written a newer "Mommy fashion" type post?

DrSally
01-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Love the You Look Fab site and her mom on the go outfits. She seems to have a lot in common w/what What not to wear recommends for moms. I think you can get a lot of the pieces she mentions at the stores you listed (or online). Even the sheer act of updating your wardrobe with current items will make a big difference. If you buy stuff and are unsure, keep the tags on and give us a pic over on momwear. You'll get lots of feedback.

marge234
01-27-2012, 05:03 PM
I see outfits on Pinterest (from Polyvore) that inspire me.

Any favorites you'd like to share? I haven't found any for real life outfits, but have started surfing around polyvore.

goldenpig
01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
goldenpig, than you for posting that site. Can I ask, what are all the things you can do there?

I just clicked on the forums... very cool. Do they have different forums for different types of clothing? Like shoes/ outerwear, etc? Or is it just lumped in with everything in What I Wore, Dressing, etc?

How do you use the site? I may have to join!

I hang out at YLF a lot now almost as much as BBB. I post pics of my What I Wore outfits and look at other people's outfits for ideas, anything I buy that I'm not sure about I post a Keep or Return for feedback, look at Angie's posts (there's a ton of useful articles on the site), ask or answer questions in the forum or post comments on people's outfits, learn about proper fit, etc. They also helped me figure out what body type I am and what my style persona is. I would never have gotten this far as quickly as I did without everyone's help there...I joined about six months ago and knew very little about fashion back then but I've learned a lot since then.

It's all one big forum--there are categories for the posts but I usually just click on Latest to read all the new post titles. It's just like BBB but about fashion. They're all super nice there and love to give advice if you ask. Angie is a professional stylist and she will often chime in with her advice as well so it's like having a bunch of personal stylists helping you out. If you have an iPhone you can even post a Realtime post with a pic of yourself in the dressing room if you're trying something on in the store and want to know if you should buy something or not! Haven't tried that yet, but it's like having your friends go shopping with you, LOL!

OP, I just looked at that "Mommy" fashion link that goldenpig linked to, I would start there for ideas. Even though the article is from '09, I think her advice is still up to date.

I really need to update my wardrobe this year as well.

goldenpig, do you know if the same author has written a newer "Mommy fashion" type post?

I don't think she's updated the MOTG formulas post (she said they're still up to date) but she has done a few other posts on the topic--you can click on the archives to look for Mom On the Go posts.

You guys should join YLF! It's addictive and they have all women with all kinds of ages, size/shapes, ethnicities, styles, budgets etc. there. Just introduce yourself on the Welcome thread and start posting away! You can't post pics in your posts until 10 days after joining but you can post links to Picasa/Flickr albums in the meantime. See you over there! :wavey:

twowhat?
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Ooooh thanks for posting the moms on the go link, GP!!! That first outfit (embellished T, jeans, ballet flats, cardi) is what I wear a LOT (including to work since I can be casual at work). Today I mixed it up and am wearing an embellished T over a thin fitted striped sweater and jeans/ballet flats. It's a combo I haven't tried before (I did it because the sweater isn't long enough to cover my tummy pouch but the tee is!) but I'm kind of really liking it and I feel comfortable in it:) I need to try those other combos and get in my closet to see if I have the necessary pieces.

tarnator
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
I am in!
I am working on my style too.

I hate my clothes and only like the stuff that I have bought recently thanks to hints on BB. I need to figure out how to wear scarves and belts. I am going to start hanging at YLF too.... :)