PDA

View Full Version : Silverfish

MissyAg94
01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
I found a silverfish in my kitchen tonight. Should I be worried about an infestation? I've lived in several houses and have never seen one indoors.

crayonblue
01-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I HATE them!!!!! They are all over the place here in San Diego. Finally broke down and hired an exterminator yesterday. From what I understand they love cardboard so we got rid of every single speck of cardboard in our house. They are yucky.

momtoonegirl
01-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Silverfish feed on old cardboard boxes, newspaper, magazines, and the like. So if you have recently moved, or have a lot of those items around you may see them. Our exterminator also says in order for them to go away, you have to get rid of the aforementioned items. The exterminator can also put out some silverfish traps to help get rid of them, but the best way is to get rid of as many old boxes and as many old papers as you can. We see them all of the time here, but they are yucky.

khm
01-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Ugh. I'd forgotten all about those horrible creatures. We had them where we last lived but they aren't common where we are now. We did have to call an exterminator. I'd do that asap. There is never just one.

mom2binsd
01-27-2012, 12:37 AM
I HATE them!!!!! They are all over the place here in San Diego. Finally broke down and hired an exterminator yesterday. From what I understand they love cardboard so we got rid of every single speck of cardboard in our house. They are yucky.

We had them in our apt in San Diego too...yucky little fellows!

Twin Mom
01-27-2012, 12:38 AM
I see them all the time indoors in the South. I usually just ignore them. I am cleaning out stuff so maybe less paper will mean less silverfish.

MissyAg94
01-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Yuck! I guess I'm most worried about them eating things like photos, wedding album, baby book etc. We don't like to do pesticides inside the house but maybe we could spray outside and use traps inside. Yikes. I don't like bugs!

Minnifer
01-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Blech, hate these! They like dampness, that's why they're often seen in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms... so I've read reducing moisture/dampness/humidity where possible can help w/them.

crayonblue
01-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Yuck! I guess I'm most worried about them eating things like photos, wedding album, baby book etc. We don't like to do pesticides inside the house but maybe we could spray outside and use traps inside. Yikes. I don't like bugs!

Our exterminator only sprayed outside. He said to give it two weeks and if we keep seeing them, call and he will come back and treat inside. I'm hoping we won't have to do that but we will if these gross little things don't go bye-bye!

maestramommy
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
We used to see them a lot in SoCal. Not so much here, but I do see them occasionally. I had no idea they were attracted to cardboard and paper! My mom said they would chew on clothing. Annoying, but I don't worry about it much.

hellokitty
01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Blech, hate these! They like dampness, that's why they're often seen in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms... so I've read reducing moisture/dampness/humidity where possible can help w/them.

Yeah, we noticed a reduction of these when we run our de-humidifier down in the basement. Of course, we still get those house centipedes, but I keep telling myself that they are, "good" predators and if we catch one upstairs, we let it go down in the basement to kill the bad bugs.

Ceepa
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
We would find them in the bathroom so I think it was moisture in our case that was drawing them in.