PDA

View Full Version : For fun: unwritten board rules

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
So what board rules do you think are observed but not actually written?

How about not arguing with posters venting in the BP?

How about not using tons of caps? Is this one in writing?

Don't start a controversial/popular thread and then never update!

Other thoughts?

momm
01-27-2012, 09:31 AM
haha - this is fun!

Always respond politely, kindly and informatively to a newbie's question, even if it's being asked for the one millionth time on the boards!!

I've been guilty of asking questions that have been answered before (unknowingly), and always gotten wonderful kind responses!

hellokitty
01-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Be careful if you criticize a popular board member, or her posse will come down on you!

hellokitty
01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Do a search before posting a commonly asked question or topic.

hellokitty
01-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Oh and here's a good one. Don't be surprised if you post about wanting a travel system and end up with lots of nay sayers who tell you why it's a bad idea, lol. I am sure a lot of newbies have made this mistake before.

crl
01-27-2012, 09:53 AM
All polls must have a silly "other" option.

Catherine

wellyes
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Great idea for a thread!! (Or we'll all piss each other off, we'll see :rotflmao:)

How about - take a second to reply if someone ask for P&PT, for goodness sake.

We are all very much for parenting choices and "whatever works for your family", until you want sympathy because someone criticized you for putting your 3 year old in a backless booster.

How about not using tons of caps? Is this one in writing?Did you know that if your post is 100% caps, it will come out as being properly capitalized? I learned that not yelling at someone, but trying to say AWESOME!!!!!

Be careful if you criticize a popular board member, or her posse will come down on you! I haven't noticed this so much, but, I am pretty oblivious.

WatchingThemGrow
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Share your bargain finds IMMEDIATELY, not when you get home and unpack them a day later. Be specific where they are in the store, on the shelf, and take a picture on your phone. :)

wimama
01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
If you find a new tasty temptation at Trader Joes you must come on the board and share this find immediately. That way you will have company adding on extra pounds from your yummy find.:rotflmao:

wendibird22
01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
When the tone of the board gets snarky/heated, post a nonsensical just for fun thread in the lounge such as hottest actor, favorite 80s song, or most embarrassing moment to lighten the mood.

Clarity
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
If you find a new tasty temptation at Trader Joes you must come on the board and share this find immediately. That way you will have company adding on extra pounds from your yummy find.:rotflmao:

:hysterical: So true!

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
When the tone of the board gets snarky/heated, post a nonsensical just for fun thread in the lounge such as hottest actor, favorite 80s song, or most embarrassing moment to lighten the mood. Haha! Totally! I love the hot actor threads.

I thought of another one - don't just come to ask for advice, give as well!

Don't do a post and run! (i.e. post a link to a controversial article with no explanation/context and never respond)

My personal pet peeve: don't criticize poll choices - we are not poll experts! :wink2:

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Did you know that if your post is 100% caps, it will come out as being properly capitalized? I learned that not yelling at someone, but trying to say AWESOME!!!!!
Interesting!

MUST FIGURE THIS ONE OUT! < trying to use all caps here>

SkyrMommy
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
If your DC or DH does something that makes you spit your drink out, pee in your pants laugh. You must come share it here so we all can post responses using this smilies (:hysterical:) after we've spit our own drinks out and changed our pants from laughing so hard.

twowhat?
01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Only TOTALLY HONEST (all caps) opinions allowed in MomWear. Thank you, guys:)

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Share your bargain finds IMMEDIATELY, not when you get home and unpack them a day later. Be specific where they are in the store, on the shelf, and take a picture on your phone. :) Also, post the link and discount/free shippping code! :tongue5:

goldenpig
01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
If someone tries to do a drive-by on your parenting skills, you must immediately respond with a comment about your vagina or bean dip.

twowhat?
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I thought of another one! If you post with any health issues, assume that you must get your thyroid checked :duck:

eta: I really don't mean to pick on anyone!! Really! Just a general observation:)

wendibird22
01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I thought of another one! If you post with any health issues, assume that you must get your thyroid checked :duck:

eta: I really don't meant to pick on anyone!! Really! Just a general observation:)

:hysterical:

Maybe "get your thyroid checked" should be the default "other" in all polls.

twowhat?
01-27-2012, 12:05 PM

gatorsmom
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Mommy drive-bys are very much frowned upon.

We don't respond to trolls (a troll is someone who is not a usual member of the board who mistakenly thinks this board is like any other big messsage board where the posters are rude and snarky to each other). Ignore them completely!

Beth24
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM

eta: I really don't meant to pick on anyone!! Really! Just a general observation:)

Ok, now that one has me spitting out my coffee and peeing my pants! I have one...after writing a post always reread and check the tone. Sometimes things come off differently in writing than you intend. Also try not to write anything you wouldn't say in person. Love this thread, thanks A!

indigo99
01-27-2012, 12:34 PM
If you post a deal from a B&M store (esp Target) then you must say YMMV. If not, you will get lots of posters upset that the deal doesn't exist at their store (or the twelve others that they called).

KrisM
01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Interesting!

MUST FIGURE THIS ONE OUT! < trying to use all caps here>

CLEARLY, YOU MISSED THIS VERY ENTERTAINING THREAd (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=369510)!

indigo99
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Before posting in a long thread, you need to state if you've read the whole thing first (just in case someone else already made your point).

mommylamb
01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
It is frowned upon when total newbies post asking for a coupon. I think most people like to give coupons to people who are active members of our community.

Corie
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Always agree with Corie and say really nice things about her.

And, ALWAYS take part in her polls.

Penny's Pappa
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
You have to use as many abbreviations as you can.

"My DW and I went to BRU looking for a new HBB for DD to fit in my '07 OB, but they were OOS. Sometimes going to the B&M store can be such a PITA, YKWIM?"

twowhat?
01-27-2012, 12:58 PM

"My DW and I went to BRU looking for a new HBB for DD to fit in my '07 OB, but they were OOS. Sometimes going to the B&M store can be such a PITA, YKWIM?"

The stroller forum is the worst! I started out there trying to get some advice and I think it took me a couple of weeks to figure out all the abbreviations!

daisymommy
01-27-2012, 01:03 PM

:ROTFLMAO: You know I'm here too often when I can read that straight through (with the real words in my head), in 3 seconds flat!

KpbS
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
you have to use as many abbreviations as you can.

"my dw and i went to bru looking for a new hbb for dd to fit in my '07 ob, but they were oos. Sometimes going to the b&m store can be such a pita, ykwim?"

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
nice one, and dead on

JustMe
01-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Help out/provide support to a fellow BBB member whenever possible. We are a real community.

If you are a very "known" poster and are not going to actively post for a while, make sure you post and let people know. Otherwise, someone will post that they are worried about you and lots of agreement/concerned posts will follow.

twowhat?
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
nice one, and dead on

Ho!!! The CAPS disappeared from when you quoted Pennys Papa!!

momof2girls
01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
If you are quoting a thread that included picture, do not include the picture again. It takes too much time to load up again.

KpbS
01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
If you find a thread topic or an individual poster terribly annoying PLEASE do yourself a favor and DON'T click on the post! Just walk on by.

wendibird22
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Every few weeks throw BillK, Penny's Papa, and any other dad's a bone by asking a question about insurance, cell phones, or hot chicks.

KpbS
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Be a giver, not just a taker. If you have something helpful to add, post!

crl
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Always agree with Corie and say really nice things about her.

And, ALWAYS take part in her polls.

Well, of course. I just didn't think we even had to SAY that. Everyone knows it, right?

Catherine

(I'll pm you my email address so you can paypal me. :ROTFLMAO:)

Penny's Pappa
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Every few weeks throw BillK, Penny's Papa, and any other dad's a bone by asking a question about insurance, cell phones, or hot chicks.

:rotflmao:

So true!

ETA: Thanks for all that, btw!!

Penny's Pappa
01-27-2012, 01:16 PM
TMI warnings are a must.

elektra
Too funny on the thyroid and the abbreviations! LOL!

- If the post in is the bitching post, it is not fair game to give advice or criticize, unless the OP specifically asks for it (at which point you gently point out how off base they might be ;))

- Always try to reference the OP's question in your reply. I am totally guilty of getting off topic, and sometimes threads take inevitable turns, but I at least try not to be the one to initiate the derailment it or make it about me.

- Be courteous, and thoughtful in your replies. Low drama preferred. It's what sets us apart from so many other boards!

jse107
You may use acronyms, but refrain from using text message type grammer.

Example: R U going 2 go 2 target l8r 4 the sale?

This is a big reason why I love this board. It's meant for my GenX eyes.

jse107
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM

"Like"
;)

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 01:21 PM
We don't respond to trolls (a troll is someone who is not a usual member of the board who mistakenly thinks this board is like any other big messsage board where the posters are rude and snarky to each other). Ignore them completely! Great one! Quite true.

If you find a thread topic or an individual poster terribly annoying PLEASE do yourself a favor and DON'T click on the post! Just walk on by. :yeahthat: Really good rule though I know it's hard to follow at times!

Don't revive old controversial threads after everyone has calmed down.

Do PM people when you like their posts! Get to "know" other posters via PM. :thumbsup:

smiles33
01-27-2012, 01:21 PM
TMI warnings are a must.

:bighand:

I also think you have to warn people in the thread title if you post a thread about a sad topic so folks know if it's emotional/sensitive.

ha98ed14
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Before posting in a long thread, you need to state if you've read the whole thing first (just in case someone else already made your point).

But if you don't have time, just preface what you're going to say with, "Haven't read the other responses so someone may have already said this..." and then post you thoughts.

smiles33
01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Maybe we should ask for this to be a sticky to help all the newbies? ;)

elektra
01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Don't revive old controversial threads after everyone has calmed down.

Any old thread that gets revived is annoying. I have done a forehead smack a few times after such things like realizing that my heartfelt reply to a mama who is having trouble getting her newborn to latch, is completely outdated because their kid is already in 1st grade by now. :)

So I guess there is a bit of a nuance to the unwritten rule of searching first before posting and starting a new thread. If it's ancient, don't revive, start anew. If it's within the past few weeks, maybe revive, but you might be able to find your answer by just reading the posts and not posting yourself.
However, long term boardies seem to be a bit more exempt from the search rule, as it mostly applies to strollers, IMO.
(Did anyone follow my logic there? ;))

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Peruse the boards by using "New Posts" so you don't miss any good threads!

If you see a thread with lots of views, click away, something is going on! ;)

elliput
01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't do a post and run! (i.e. post a link to a controversial article with no explanation/context and never respond)
:yeahthat: I WILL call the OP out on this. :D

lovin2shop
01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
If someone tries to do a drive-by on your parenting skills, you must immediately respond with a comment about your vagina or bean dip.

Ha, ha, always a great answers in this situation!

american_mama
01-27-2012, 01:38 PM
If you know a poster's first name or her kids' real names, but she doesn't have it in her post or signature, don't reference it. Just say the user name, or DD1, or whatever.

This rule took me a while to realize and I'm not sure I 100% follow it. I like it when others who could name names in replying to my posts don't, and instead preserve my anonymity, so I try to return the favor.

maestramommy
01-27-2012, 01:43 PM
:hysterical: After one of the most grueling weeks ever, this is a much needed TGIF tonic!

How about, Don't get hurt/offended and take it personally if someone disagrees with your views. Someone should be able to say "I think x view is wrong because etc, etc" without someone else feeling jumped on.

Melaine
01-27-2012, 01:50 PM

:bighand: This thread is awesome.

BabbyO

So true...and I still get stumped sometimes. But then I also catch myself wanting to use abbreviations like "DH, MIL, FIL, DS, DD" IRL when talking or emailing people.

I'm thinking about getting my thyroid checked to be sure there is nothing wrong with me! :D

WatchingThemGrow
Someone already said that regular posters should always leave an explanation if they'll be gone for a bit, but I want to add that no regulars should ever leave. Period. If you do have to go for some period, please come back asap. We miss you.

Well, except for that one poster who said something about "I would NEVER have any reason to take my child to the bathroom with me!!!" It's fine with me that she's gone.

Melaine
01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Someone already said that regular posters should always leave an explanation if they'll be gone for a bit, but I want to add that no regulars should ever leave. Period. If you do have to go for some period, please come back asap. We miss you.

Well, except for that one poster who said something about "I would NEVER have any reason to take my child to the bathroom with me!!!" It's fine with me that she's gone.

LOL I remember her....:hysterical:

ETA: Thanks for this thread. The girls are sick, this has been a stressful week and this is so funny and also reminds me of what a cyber-treasure this community is! I love you guys!!!!

AnnieW625
01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Don't talk smack about Dino Nuggets, or Joe Joe's cookies, or state that you won't do a primal diet because you like cheese and can't stand nuts as snacks.

Don't dis Trader Joe's

Gotta add to that one, and start taking lots of vitamin d3; seriously!

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 01:56 PM
:yeahthat: I WILL call the OP out on this. :D LOL! I thought I always posted an explanation as to why I was linking an article or at least mention that I thought it was interesting. ;)

gatorsmom
01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
So true...and I still get stumped sometimes. But then I also catch myself wanting to use abbreviations like "DH, MIL, FIL, DS, DD" IRL when talking or emailing people.

I'm thinking about getting my thyroid checked to be sure there is nothing wrong with me! :D

scrooks
01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
:ROTFLMAO: i am really enjoying this thread! I love this board!

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't bring up wearing yoga pants/sweat pants in public or sneaking snacks into movie theaters unless you want to start WWIII!

janeybwild
01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't always take. For every post asking for something or in the BP, try to have more where you give back.

LMPC
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM

:bighand::hysterical: OMG.diet.coke.all.over.my.keyboard......

indigo99
01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
But if you don't have time, just preface what you're going to say with, "Haven't read the other responses so someone may have already said this..." and then post you thoughts.

That's what I meant by stating whether you've read it or not :) It is apparently less annoying to read the same things over and over again if someone apologizes for doing it.

WatchingThemGrow
01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Don't come here and tell us you've figured it all out, have all the answers, know where you're going, what you have planned for your DC, have great relationships with a myriad of people across racial and socio-economic boundaries, serve only the tastiest and healthiest food, have a perfect family, and the perfect stroller collection for your 4 yearly well-planned vacations. Come to the BBB with humility and honesty and seek answers from our community, at least admit that you have some kinds of issues the rest of us real people have.

Mopey
01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
:ROTFLMAO: i am really enjoying this thread! I love this board!

:yeahthat:

As a newbie I am still pretty stumped by some of the abbreviations. And I hope I am doing a good job of being a community member here - chiming in when I can and trying to help. Just posted my first discount code in the bargains :D

So I will add that I feel the need to add a disclaimer on parenting posts that I will not officially be a mom for a few more weeks!

And I hope all my questions are not too annoying. I have to figure out the search function better :D

AnnieW625
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Don't come here and tell us you've figured it all out, have all the answers, know where you're going, what you have planned for your DC, have great relationships with a myriad of people across racial and socio-economic boundaries, serve only the tastiest and healthiest food, have a perfect family, and the perfect stroller collection for your 4 yearly well-planned vacations. Come to the BBB with humility and honesty and seek answers from our community, at least admit that you have some kinds of issues the rest of us real people have.

:bowdown:
and that you have successfully breast fed all of your perfectly spaced children plus were able to pump 8-10 oz a side per pumping session. And that your BLW child loved fresh cut up avocado and bananas the first time you gave it to them (my DD2's first BLW food was a white flour french roll!)

twowhat?
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM

As a newbie I am still pretty stumped by some of the abbreviations. And I hope I am doing a good job of being a community member here - chiming in when I can and trying to help. Just posted my first discount code in the bargains :D

So I will add that I feel the need to add a disclaimer on parenting posts that I will not officially be a mom for a few more weeks!

And I hope all my questions are not too annoying. I have to figure out the search function better :D

The search function would work better, if not for all those abbreviations that are 3 letters or fewer...

eta: never could figure out what BLW is...

mommylamb
01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
:bowdown:
and that you have successfully breast fed all of your perfectly spaced children plus were able to pump 8-10 oz a side per pumping session. And that your BLW child loved fresh cut up avocado and bananas the first time you gave it to them (my DD2's first BLW food was a white flour french roll!)

Or that you're convinced your 18 month old is gifted.

Cam&Clay
01-27-2012, 02:18 PM

wolverine2
01-27-2012, 02:40 PM

and then you need book ideas for your 3-year old who all of a sudden just started reading with no warning.

artvandalay
01-27-2012, 02:44 PM

YES!! :D Love this one.

carolinamama
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM

Another :hysterical:

Green_Tea
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM

And if you get your thyroid checked and your doc says it's OK, get a second opinion - because your doctor is probably wrong.

;)

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 03:02 PM

and then you need book ideas for your 3-year old who all of a sudden just started reading with no warning.

You guys crack me up.

Ceepa
01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
If you're putting a link in your post about a toy/book/product review or recommendation, please say what it is instead of just a vague

"I really enjoyed this one [link]"

"My DC is obsessed with these [link]"

In a long thread like the toy posts around the holidays or a recommended reading thread it takes a while clicking on all the links, and if someone comes back to find a certain toy/book/product but has forgotten who posted it, they have to click through the links again.

MamaMolly
01-27-2012, 03:04 PM
And if you get your thyroid checked and your doc says it's OK, get a second opinion - because your doctor is probably wrong.

;)

I'm getting my thyroid checked next week AND I'm worried that my new doctor didn't order ALL the right tests! :)

My addition: it is ok to ask for help. Mojo or P&PT from the boards, or Zoloft from a doctor. Or both :)

crl
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Thank yous are appreciated, especially if someone took the time to link things for you. I have been on boards where that was considered post bumping and not okay, but here thank yous are great and no one minds post bumping anyway.

Catherine

hellokitty
01-27-2012, 03:12 PM

:hysterical: Good one!

TwinFoxes
01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
This thread is funny, especially the thyroid and TMI warning 'rules'. Was it BillK or Penny's Papa who made the mistake of opening a Diva Cup thread thinking it might be interesting. Thanks for returning after that, whichever one of you it was!

And BTW, I'm assuming that "share fattening food from TJs" was aimed at me? Hey, if I'm going to eat an entire bag of chocolate covered potato chips, someone else is too!!! ;)

LMPC
01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I am loving this thread!

crl
01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
And BTW, I'm assuming that "share fattening food from TJs" was aimed at me? Hey, if I'm going to eat an entire bag of chocolate covered potato chips, someone else is too!!! ;)

Oh, I'm guilty too. Can't remember what, but I have shared some TJs chocolatey goodness too.

Catherine

emily
01-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Great Friday thread! :thumbsup:

Peruse the boards by using "New Posts" so you don't miss any good threads!
Only learned about this recently.

What is BLW??

Oh wait, baby led weaning??

cvanbrunt
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM

All the kegels in the world wouldn't have saved me. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thank you.

Uno-Mom
01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Took me forever and my own pregnancy scare to figure out (from context) what POS meant.

kristenk
01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Took me forever and my own pregnancy scare to figure out (from context) what POS meant.

Do you mean POAS? POS and POAS are definitely different!

DrSally
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM

:ROTFLMAO::waving4:

Uno-Mom
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Do you mean POAS? POS and POAS are definitely different!
Hahahaha yes!

Another rule: always laugh shamelessly when someone's smartphone auto-correct causes a hilarious typo. Now try to use POS and POAS in a sentence.

DrSally
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM

:ROTFLMAO: love it!

mikala
01-27-2012, 04:03 PM

and the child began reading while alone in the bathroom on the potty. What else is there to do but read when you've been potty trained for two years already?

DrSally
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Thank yous are appreciated, especially if someone took the time to link things for you. I have been on boards where that was considered post bumping and not okay, but here thank yous are great and no one minds post bumping anyway.

Catherine
:yeahthat: i didn't know that about other boards, b/c this is the only one i'm on, but i love updates and "thank yous"!

Uno-Mom
01-27-2012, 04:11 PM
and the child began reading while alone in the bathroom on the potty. What else is there to do but read when you've been potty trained for two years already?
Now, if a gifted toddler *ahem* fingerpainted a masterpiece (using materials at hand) when left alone on the potty...I seriously do want to hear about that!

boolady
01-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Never mind. Didn't want someone to think it was critical when it was meant as a joke. :)

niccig
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
. Now try to use POS and POAS in a sentence.

This POS of a POAS from the 99c store ......

niccig
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
These are all so funny.
Love this place.

- Do not tell anyone IRL about this board. When talking about what you have read here say "A friend of mine said.." or "Another parent I know told me ..." Do not mention you are on a parenting forum and have cyber friends, many that you've never met, as people will look at you with a funny expression on their faces.

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Please give us closure.

Don't start a really interesting thread and not give us a satisfying ending!

For example, I still want to go to wellyes' neighbor and get her Vista back!

http://th600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/SVT-GT500/smileys/th_mob-smiley.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/image/mob%20smiley/SVT-GT500/smileys/mob-smiley.gif?o=1)

JoyNChrist
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
These are all so funny.
Love this place.

- Do not tell anyone IRL about this board. When talking about what you have read here say "A friend of mine said.." or "Another parent I know told me ..." Do not mention you are on a parenting forum and have cyber friends, many that you've never met, as people will look at you with a funny expression on their faces.

Yes! I'm selfish with you guys...I don't tell any of my IRL friends about this place.

Penny's Pappa
01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Please give us closure.

http://th600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/SVT-GT500/smileys/th_mob-smiley.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/image/mob%20smiley/SVT-GT500/smileys/mob-smiley.gif?o=1)

LOL!! :hysterical:

Yeah, whatever happened there?!?!

ETA: Oh and the mob smiley is genius.

elektra
01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Please give us closure.

And I remember that Stacy (JoyNChrist) dropped off the face of the earth right after posting about some creepy letter to her DS #1 in their mailbox.
What they heck happened with that!?

GvilleGirl
01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Now, if a gifted toddler *ahem* fingerpainted a masterpiece (using materials at hand) when left alone on the potty...I seriously do want to hear about that!

And if they do something crazy, (but not using materials at hand) you must post a picture.

arivecchi
01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
And what about that thread about the new cedar fence? I think a neighbor had painted it! :47:

JoyNChrist
01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
And I remember that Stacy (JoyNChrist) dropped off the face of the earth right after posting about some creepy letter to her DS #1 in their mailbox.
What they heck happened with that!?

Yep! No idea about the letter though. We never did find out who that was from.

(I still feel bad about disappearing right after that though. I didn't realize that that was my last post, or that people would worry. That was so WEIRD. I was so happy when our house sold and we moved shortly thereafter...that totally creeped me out.)

JBaxter
01-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Yep! No idea about the letter though. We never did find out who that was from.

(I still feel bad about disappearing right after that though. I didn't realize that that was my last post, or that people would worry. That was so WEIRD.)

LOL I found you!

JoyNChrist
01-27-2012, 05:07 PM
LOL I found you!

Stalker. ;)

BabbyO
01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
These are all so funny.
Love this place.

DH knows when I say "I asked some friends about..." I mean that I posted here. I don't have any friends IRL. :wink2:

TwinFoxes
01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Please give us closure.

It's funny, it's often the more mundane threads that I want updated, but I feel too dumb to ask. Someone posted they were going to take their little one to an all day concert, and I always wondered how it went. I can't even remember who it was now.

I also say if you post about a pregnancy scare, you shouldn't post in other threads and not update for days at a time! We're all on the edge of our seats here ladies!!!

NCGrandma
01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Yes!! Thank you! I've figured out most of the 'usual' acronyms by now, but it sets my pre-GenX teeth on edge to see text message abbreviations. Any more of it and I'll have to get my thryoid checked...

tabegle
01-27-2012, 05:32 PM
this has been a stressful week and this is so funny and also reminds me of what a cyber-treasure this community is! I love you guys!!!!

I haven't read all the posts yet, but :yeahthat: (and I'm learning!) And don't worry, I'm getting my thryroid checked in a few weeks. :)

Giantbear
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Every few weeks throw BillK, Penny's Papa, and any other dad's a bone by asking a question about insurance, cell phones, or hot chicks.Please add cars and sports to the list....thank you :waving4:

wellyes
01-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Please give us closure.

:ROTFLMAO:

That stroller is gone, I took it as opportunity to stroller shop! Love my Bob way better than that crummy Vista anyway.

:heartbeat: my current Bob/MBUD/BJCM/BJCMD lineup. I also :heartbeat: that there are people who know what I mean when I say Bob/MBUD/BJCM/BJCMD lineup.

It's not so much that I mind funny looks, it's that I want a safe anonymous place to vent about family & friends! And add me to the club of people whose DHs understand that when I said "I know a mom who..." he knows I mean you folks.

liz
01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
oh, I've got one! Writing in short paragraphs, even if you have a novel to write :)

Sometimes I get dizzy just looking at super-long posts without any breaks
(even though way back when I first joined, on one of my first posts in the BP, I went crazy and did just that :o)

Lucky for me, you were all so kind and supportive, you read it anyway.

BabbyO
01-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Please add cars and sports to the list....thank you :waving4:

I'll be going to the car show when it comes to town next month...I'll be sure to post about the latest car I'm lusting over (I think it will still be the Subaru Outback).

No sports to talk about now...the Packers lost

meggswife
01-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Thank heavens I wasn't drinking anything while reading through this thread! (I do have to pick chunks of grilled cheese sandwich out of my keyboard now though.) :wink2:

arivecchi, love the mob smiley! I haven't seen that one before.

How about, you should post and be a part of the community rather than just reading and commenting to yourself. (Oops! Note to self...)

edurnemk
01-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Very entertaining thread. I had my thyroid checked last year, everything's Ok but I was low on Vitamin D ;)

eta: never could figure out what BLW is...

It's Baby Led Weaning. I took me quite some time to figure all the acronyms out, too.

I also don't tell anyone about this board, it's my safe haven (I would DIE if the IL's or DH read some of my BP's). I also don't want funny looks from people. :rotflmao:

JTsMom
01-27-2012, 06:16 PM
This thread is awesome and so true! And I remember that the cedar fence post was updated, but I can't remember what happened.

The only rule I can think of that hasn't been listed is to always put
or some type of spacer in a siggie outing thread so that people have to open it to see who is expecting.

fedoragirl
01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Highly entertaining thread...and very useful. DH also knows that most of my wise mommy moments come from the collective mommy brains here.

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
For the love of pete, it helps a ton if when you quote someone that you are sure the quote includes the name of the posted you are commenting on. There is are times that I am late to a thread and start towards the end (I like to see what turns the thread took!) and someone will have quoted an earlier post but for some reason the quote doesn't include a user name. So, then I have to scroll through all the darned replies to see who they are responding to.

eta- and one thing I love about here is the lack of page long, ridiculous signatures filled with pictures. I don't need to read your life story and conception methods used for all of your kids, complete with pictures of when you POAS.

wellyes
01-27-2012, 06:33 PM
This thread is awesome and so true! And I remember that the cedar fence post was updated, but I can't remember what happened.

or some type of spacer in a siggie outing thread so that people have to open it to see who is expecting.

And the precursor to that, which is if you are newly pregnant, stick it in your siggie discreetly. No need to mention it. Someone will notice!

MichelleRC
01-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Awesome thread! I read all 12 pages.:bighand:

I wish I had something to add.

Oh wait, I know--if you are posting a picture that you happen to be in, don't feel the need to apologize for your no makeup, messy hair or smudgy mirror.

kozachka
01-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Great list of unwritten rules. Definitely need to save this as a sticky.

The only ones that I can add is warn in the title or very beginning of the post if it's going to be long.

TwinFoxes
01-27-2012, 06:44 PM
eta- and one thing I love about here is the lack of page long, ridiculous signatures filled with pictures. I don't need to read your life story and conception methods used for all of your kids, complete with pictures of when you POAS.

YES! I love that about this board. I felt weird adding the MFP ticker.

I almost took your name off this quote just to bug you. :wink2:

roseyloxs
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Don't bring up wearing yoga pants/sweat pants in public or sneaking snacks into movie theaters unless you want to start WWIII!

Really?

These are all so funny.
Love this place.

So that's what I should say. Right now I kind of stammer because I don't know how to refer to my cyber oracles of knowledge. Although when DH tries and get my attention he usually huffs and puffs and says, "oh I see you are busy talking to your 'real friends'. "

elliput
01-27-2012, 07:22 PM
This one is actually written out in the Newbie forum Rules sticky.

wolverine2
01-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Yes!!! I refuse to read any board with all that junk! I remember when I was first pregnant with #1 and tried to do the BabyCenter thing and it drove me crazy. So glad I found it here.

cdlamis
01-27-2012, 07:44 PM

cdlamis
01-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Please give us closure.

Yes! I still wonder about the 2 posters and their "Photographer friend gave me a pseudo gift that included an additional cost!"

cdlamis
01-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I love this thread and that for once (!) I have been somewhere long enough to understand 99% of the comments! I feel so "in the know"! :)

Uno-Mom
01-27-2012, 08:01 PM
And the precursor to that, which is if you are newly pregnant, stick it in your siggie discreetly. No need to mention it. Someone will notice!
See, I'd flash back to highschool insecurity and be afraid no one would notice. how sad would that be?

ett
01-27-2012, 08:04 PM
This is the best thread! I can't think of anything to add but I totally agree with lots that have been mentioned.

Jo..
01-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Really?

So that's what I should say. Right now I kind of stammer because I don't know how to refer to my cyber oracles of knowledge. Although when DH tries and get my attention he usually huffs and puffs and says, "oh I see you are busy talking to your 'real friends'. "

I just tell people that "My Mommy Board friends" said so-and-so. Everyone who knows me already knows I am strange.

I met my husband online playing Age of Empires 14 years ago, and most of my best friends were met online. I even met my best local friend right here on the BBB! We met when I moved here, and our boys were just a few months old. We live under five minutes from each other, and we (and our kids) get together almost daily.

artvandalay
01-27-2012, 08:16 PM

:hysterical: Oh, I totally agree!

niccig
01-27-2012, 08:33 PM

I believe they had to take the neighbor to small claims court to get him to pay to remove the paint.

I've told a couple of IRL friends about this when building a fence, make it be on your property line by a little bit, so no one can touch it.

gatorsmom
01-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Oh, I thought of 2 more. As someone said before, If you are pregnant, just put it in your siggie. Members get extra points for outing a pregnant member and starting a congratulations thread. :boogie:

Also, in threads where movies or tv shows are discussed announce ...
SPOILERS!

scrooks
01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes! I still wonder about the 2 posters and their "Photographer friend gave me a pseudo gift that included an additional cost!"

crayonblue
01-27-2012, 09:42 PM
One of the best threads ever!

infomama
01-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Probably not a good idea to share your infinite wisdom after a glass of wine (guilty)

buddyleebaby
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Probably not a good idea to share your infinite wisdom after a glass of wine (guilty)

I disagree. I think this is when I am at my finest. :hysterical:

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2012, 10:23 PM
This one is actually written out in the Newbie forum Rules sticky.

Thank goodness!

anonomom
01-27-2012, 11:50 PM
See, I'd flash back to highschool insecurity and be afraid no one would notice. how sad would that be?

:yeahthat: Thanks for that. It made me smile, because I think the same way. :wavey:

wimama
01-28-2012, 12:35 AM
This thread is funny, especially the thyroid and TMI warning 'rules'. Was it BillK or Penny's Papa who made the mistake of opening a Diva Cup thread thinking it might be interesting. Thanks for returning after that, whichever one of you it was!

I am just as guilty. My thread asking if Trader Joes had started stocking Holiday Goodies digressed into a discussion of all the TJ holiday goodness. I am sure that thread contributed to more than a few holiday pounds.:wink2:

And this is one of the best threads ever!

JoyNChrist
01-28-2012, 01:00 AM

That's why I had to out mine with the twins. I couldn't wait. I'm all about the instant gratification.

BayGirl2
01-28-2012, 01:05 AM
I am just as guilty. My thread asking if Trader Joes had started stocking Holiday Goodies digressed into a discussion of all the TJ holiday goodness. I am sure that thread contributed to more than a few holiday pounds.:wink2:

And this is one of the best threads ever!

That thread inspired a trip to TJs for me followed by too much holiday goodness and a resolution to get back off sugar.

Loving this thread. See I wish my IRL friends were on here so they would learn all the stuff I've learned and I would be less tempted to do Mommy drive bys. I also wish I could use our abbreviations in my work emails, typing full words feels tedious now.

I have one to add: If you post any Apple related question Larig and the Dads will have the right answer.

Globetrotter
01-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Do not dare to say anything negative about Trader Joes, but if you do we will convert you into a fan!

Globetrotter
01-28-2012, 02:14 AM
-If you have a one time use discount code that you won't get to use, don't waste it! Post a note in the Bargains forum and have BBBers PM you to get it.

-If a popular BBB item is now sold at Costco for a good price, post about it right away! We will single-handedly double their sales.

-Similarly, if someone asks for advice on which XYZ to buy, link to Amazon for pics and reviews and find them a great deal on it :D

-If you find a cool product, post about it! You never know who else will appreciate the review.

-You won't get kicked off because your kids are too old. Heck, if you want, you can even stay on until you're a grandparent yourself :ROTFLMAO: (I'm hoping this one is true!)

tmahanes
01-28-2012, 02:15 AM
:yeahthat: Thanks for that. It made me smile, because I think the same way. :wavey:

This exactly :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JoyNChrist
01-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Thought of another one - do not change your avatar! Because if you do I will never be able to remember who you are (surely this one isn't just me?).

Fairy
01-28-2012, 02:58 AM

Unless you're posting from your phone, in which case all bets are off. Right? Just me? Oh.

Fairy
01-28-2012, 03:03 AM
:bighand::hysterical: OMG.diet.coke.all.over.my.keyboard......

I think she just followed one of the golden rules.

Fairy
01-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Please give us closure.

Wait, I want on in that.

Fairy
01-28-2012, 03:11 AM
oh, I've got one! Writing in short paragraphs, even if you have a novel to write :)

Sometimes I get dizzy just looking at super-long posts without any breaks
(even though way back when I first joined, on one of my first posts in the BP, I went crazy and did just that :o)

Lucky for me, you were all so kind and supportive, you read it anyway.

This rule isn't going to work for me. So, I'll add a rule.

Don't say "warning long" in the title when the post is three short paragraphs. If you want long, I'll show you long ...

kep
01-28-2012, 04:01 AM
That's why I had to out mine with the twins. I couldn't wait. I'm all about the instant gratification.

See, no one noticed either of my last TWO pregnancies, despite obvious siggie changes. My board rule is...

It's a big board. Try not to get hurt feelings too often. It's probably not personal.

Uno-Mom
01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
See, no one noticed either of my last TWO pregnancies, despite obvious siggie changes. My board rule is...

It's a big board. Try not to get hurt feelings too often. It's probably not personal.

Announcing...
kep had two awesome kids in 2009 and 2011!!!!!!!!!

:) Yep, that is exactly what would happen to me. And I NEVER notice sig changes so I will never be able to "out" someone. I think it takes a noticing-type person who is interested in the specific things you happen to post about, otherwise those little things won't get commented on, even though everyone would be quite interested!

Penny's Pappa
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I have one to add: If you post any Apple related question Larig and the Dads will have the right answer.

Man Rule #7: Never let them see you sweat. If you don't know the answer, puff up your chest and just make up something that sounds good.

"Apple's newest version of Time Machine only requires 1.11 gigawatts of electricity thanks to improvements to its flux capacitor."

kep
01-28-2012, 01:19 PM
announcing...
kep had two awesome kids in 2009 and 2011!!!!!!!!!

:) yep, that is exactly what would happen to me. And i never notice sig changes so i will never be able to "out" someone. I think it takes a noticing-type person who is interested in the specific things you happen to post about, otherwise those little things won't get commented on, even though everyone would be quite interested!

lol! :)

Pennylane
01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but, don't get your feelings hurt if you take a break from the board and no one notices that you've been gone and starts a thread about it :)

Ann

MontrealMum
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
:yeahthat: And I'm pointing the finger at myself, not any of you!

This is a great thread - thanks for starting it!!!

Giantbear
01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Man Rule #7: Never let them see you sweat. If you don't know the answer, puff up your chest and just make up something that sounds good.

"Apple's newest version of Time Machine only requires 1.11 gigawatts of electricity thanks to improvements to its flux capacitor."If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull**** :yeahthat:

wellyes
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull**** :yeahthat:
What?!?! I have never .... *cough*

meggswife
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM
What?!?! I have never .... *cough*
:rotflmao:

twowhat?
01-28-2012, 03:44 PM
If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull**** :yeahthat:

LOL!!! When I was showing DH pics of the Galaxy Nexus with extended battery in case posted by BillK, he was like "this phone is talked about on your message boards???" He seemed kind of dumbfounded, esp since it's not really a "mainstream" smartphone. I just told him that this particular board has a lot of people that tend to think in similar ways:)

Momit
01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
I can't possibly do enough multi-quotes and :yeahthat:s so I will just say best.thread.ever! I'm just now reading through all the responses and LMAO (Penny's Papa, that one's for you - your post from yesterday was hilarious!)

momm
01-28-2012, 04:47 PM

LOL! Why on earth would you discourage proud newly pregnant women to share their happy news? I agree that I won't count on people noticing!

Rule/ suggestion to get more responses:
Add a poll, if at all possible, to your question. You will get many more responses that way, from people who are in a hurry and don't have the time to type out sentences.
I know that many a times I am too busy to write a lot, but able to quickly respond to a poll!

wellyes
01-28-2012, 05:02 PM
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/%3Ca%20href=%22http://media.photobucket.com/image/this%20thread%20is%20worthless%20without%20pics%20 %20emoticons/JohnnyCharger1968/Emoticons/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif?o=0%22%20targ et=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/JohnnyCharger1968/Emoticons/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif%22%20border=% 220%22%3E%3C/a%3E
Why on earth would you discourage proud newly pregnant women to share their happy news? I agree that I won't count on people noticing! Hey, I myself am a self-outer. Just sayin' what I have observed! It is a true BBB oddity.

More unwritten rules...
We have a lot of lawyers on this board. It is OK to insult lawyers.
We have a lot of teachers on this board. Proceed with extreme caution whenever criticizing a teacher.

When asking for hair advice, remember the golden rule:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/JohnnyCharger1968/Emoticons/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

mctlaw
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey, I myself am a self-outer. Just sayin' what I have observed! It is a true BBB oddity.

More unwritten rules...
We have a lot of lawyers on this board. It is OK to insult lawyers.
We have a lot of teachers on this board. Proceed with extreme caution whenever criticizing a teacher.

:rotflmao: I am loving this thread but had to post a shout out for this one! Of course, it's obvious by my username that I am a lawyer.

mommyp
01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Great thread, I enjoyed the throwback to the all caps thread too!