PDA

View Full Version : Fever? Dr? Another question....

Melaine
01-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Last week we had a playdate and at the end of it the girls' friend had a fever. So I've been expecting the girls to get sick. DD1 had a fever last friday night and she is still congested and coughing but playing, sleeping, eating fine. Not worried about her.

DD2 is the worry, as always. She has allergies and I suspect asthma so everything ALWAYS hits her harder, bless her heart. She has been off and on stuffy and coughing for the last month at least, but I have been pretty sure it was allergies. It just muddies the waters to tell when she is really sick.

So Thursday night she had a fever of 101. She slept fine without meds and then yesterday seemed feel ok but I did give her ibuprophen midday because she was acting a bit off. She ate last night and was silly and playing, slept great.

Today she woke up cheerful but still has a fever of 101.5. I am planning on going med-free today to see if it will break on it's own. I'd rather not take her in and it still hasn't been 48 hours until this evening. DH is a little more sick-visit happy than I am so I'm a little torn. I think he wants me to take her in today rather than get into the weekend. But I don't really care for our ped and I figure we could go to the minute clinic if needed.

I'm not sure what I am asking here. :ROTFLMAO:I guess I want to know, if your DC has allergies, how do you know when they are sick (I mean, I know the fever gives it away in this case, but I'm having trouble deciding how long she has actually been sick, ykwim? I do not suspect sinus infection because her mucus was totally clear at least up until yesterday when it looked a bit off. )

What's your rule for fevers, how long do you let them play out?

If you try to avoid meds for fever, any tips on helping DC feel better besides pushing fluids?

dogmom
01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
It can certainly be both. Her chronic inflammation from allergies puts her at higher risk for an opportunistic sinus infection. Honestly, I would give her another day or so and treat it like a bad cold/minor virus infection. Although I understand the sick vs allergy debate, and get into all the time myself, the decision point really is, "do I take her to the MD today or later?" I don't think there is much the MD is going to do for her right now. If it gets worse over a few days, then maybe they might prescribe something. You don't need a special trip right now for someone to tell you to do what your are going to do anyway.

crl
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, since allergies are an immune system response I think it is tough to tell sick from allergies. Also allergies can open the door for germs so something can easily start as allergies and end up as sick. I tend to go to the ped, but I really like mine and the wait and treatment are both better than going to a walk in clinic. . . .

Catherine

Melaine
01-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks....I gave her some mucinex and she is about the same temp, I think. She has been drinking, had some cheerios and a popsicle. I am hoping the fever breaks, but I am going to wait it out I think at this point.

I think if I gave her ibuprophen she would pop up and start playing like normal but right now she is just sitting on the couch watching tv.

Melaine
01-27-2012, 07:54 PM
So I tried listening to DDs breathing and I think I hear a little something in there that should not be. Does that automatically mean infection, etc.....or could it clear up with another dose of benedryl or mucinex?

she has definitely felt better since her 11 am dose of motrin and ate dinner like normal. I'm just wondering what it means that I could hear a tiny bit of rattle or wheeze in there. :-(

edurnemk
01-27-2012, 08:07 PM
That's a toughie, but usually I can tell the difference between DS's allergies and a cold or infection by his energy level. When he's sick or coming down with something there's alway something a little off: he's crankier than usual, less active, he sleeps more, eats less, etc. When it's just allergies he's as hyper and happy as always despite the congestion, runny nose and cough.

When he gets a cold, his allergies act up more than usual, so the cold seems to last for 2 weeks, but after a few days it's just his allergies.

He's prone to sinus and ear infections, so even with allergies I keep an eye out for signs of infection.

If he has a fever for more than 2 days I call the Dr. (If it's a high temp I wait only 24 hours). My rule of thumb is: if he's miserable I give Motrin, if not we wing it. Applying a cool, damp towel to his forehead and back of the neck helps, as well as lukewarm baths.

I hope your DD gets better soon.

Melaine
01-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks....I think we are probably going to take her in tomorrow since I could hear a tiny bit of rattling/buzzing noise....I guess unless she makes a miraculous recovery wih no fever in the morning.

crl
01-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah, anything off with breathing and I'd take her in.

Catherine