PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started with fish oil/flaxseed

inmypjs
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
I would like to start adding fish oil and/or flaxseed to our family's diet after reading about the benefits. I've read some of the recent threads here about what all of you do, and I have some questions about how to get started.

Do I use both fish oil/omega supplements and flaxseed, or just one or the other?

Re: the fish oil supplements, what brand is good? I'm willing to spend a little, but don't want to break the bank either. Our chiropractor sells a brand that was $45 for a small bottle and that was beyond what I wanted to pay. Do you give these supplements to kids too, and do you use liquid or capsule form?

Re: the flaxseed, I was thinking of doing the already ground stuff from Costco, since a number of people said they used that. I think that would be very easy to add to our smoothies, yogurt, etc. But a friend of mine told me that it's better to grind your own because the preground stuff loses some of its health benefits. And what is chia seed -is it better?

I would appreciate any info/advice. I'm just not sure what to purchase to get started with this.

emily
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Can't comment on fish oil but we prefer grinding our own flaxseed. We just use a coffee grinder. Super easy and quick. I just do a batch at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge. We only use it in our yogurt and smoothies. We love the roasted flaxseed at TJs.

daisymommy
01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
When it comes to fish oil, look for molecularly distilled (that means they screen out and check for heavy metals and toxins, like mercury).

Carlsons and Nordic Naturals are two really good brands. They make both liquid (stir into a shot glass of juice) or capsules and gummies.

If you're on a tighter budget, the Costco brand of capsules are good for adults. Haven't seen anything there worthwhile for kids though.

babyonbrain
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
we look for the supplements with EPA and DHA, molecular distillation and if possible small deep water fish source. We use nordic naturals gummies for our child but buy whichever brand is cheap but still has a decent concentration and has been molecularily (is that a word?) distilled for ourselves.
We skip the flax seed because very little of it gets converted by humans into the form of that is important for heart and brain health.

nellonello
01-27-2012, 05:28 PM
We used to take Fish Oil but my husband complained about the fish burps. My doctor told me to try Salmon Oil instead and we both think it is much better. We get the Molecularly Distilled Salmon Oil from Trader Joe's for about $7 per 180 soft gel capsules (1/day) with 120 mg EPA and 80 mg DHA. This is what we can do with our current budget.

sste
01-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Good luck with nordic naturals though my wallet is less enthused . . .

The one thing I might be cognizant of though is the semi-concious tendency to eat less of a food source when you are taking a supplement. I read up a bit on the fish/omegas issue and after that reading our family is now eating low-mercury fish twice per week. We only supplement on days we don't have fish for dinner. I think the food typically absorbs better than the supplement . . .

kdeunc
01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
DH and I use Barlean's Fish Oil capsules. We order them from Amazon. Seem to be good quality and no fish burps! :)

maestramommy
01-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I give my kids Nordic Naturals fish oil. It's the 8 oz bottle. I can't remember how much it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not $45. I get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. Each kid gets 1 tsp a day, when I remember:tongue5:

For myself I was taking the Salmon oil capsules from TJs. but It's been a while since I've bought them.

Sillygirl
01-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I bought flax seed once after reading about it here - I got the preground as I don't have a coffee grinder. It sat in my fridge and I never used it. I have had much more luck with chia seeds, which I enjoy. They don't need to be ground and don't go rancid very easily the way flax seeds do. They are very high in fiber and Omega-3. I mix them with water, a hit of lemon juice, and Truvia and enjoy them as a refreshing drink.

Consumer Reports looked at fish oil capsules. Their conclusions about Nordic Naturals being spoiled was erroneous and has been withdrawn. I was glad that none of the pills they tested had high amounts of mercury or lead. So I get the Nature Made brand because they're much less expensive and I can buy them at my grocery store. I do keep them in the fridge once they're opened, though.

MichelleRC
01-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I use the pre-ground flax from Costco and throw it into anything baked--cookies, pancakes, waffles (well, they are not really baked, but ...)

I also use Costco's flaxseed capsules--truNature is the brand. I have been taking it for about a year, and my cholesterol went down about 20 points or so.

inmypjs
01-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone, these are great starting places. I am going to look at the fish oils at Costco and Trader Joes. Do you give your kids fish oil capsules? And if so, how much? I should add that we don't eat a whole lot of fish. I pretty much hate all seafood. DH and the kids like it, but we live in a landlocked area (not much fresh fish) so they don't get it very often.

inmypjs
01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Just thought I would update - I bought the Costco brand (Kirkland) fish oil capsules for DH and I, and I ordered Carlsons liquid fish oil for the kids. That was a little pricier, but the reviews were so positive. I am excited to try this and see how it benefits our health.